BoatBanter.com

-   -   Carver boats - a big mistake? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/160490-re-carver-boats-big-mistake.html)

[email protected] March 28th 14 06:01 AM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On Saturday, March 18, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Richard C. Belanger wrote:
Hi:

I have been looking at a new Carver 396. Looks like a nice boat, good
for the family, though not a hard-core offshore design. Everything has
been looking good until I went to http://www.yachtsurvey.com

David Pascoe has a post on Carver's that makes me feel I would be better
off lashing together some logs than getting a Carver. Needless to say I
am more than a little concerned.

He points out major problems in the fabrication of Carver boats - and
essentially says they are unworthy of any consideration.

We have been comparing Carver's to Maxum and SeaRay and have liked the
Carver's better - partly because they seem to be more solidly put
together. Some friends who have newer Carver's and cruise them heavily
have also had good things to say about the seaworthiness of the boat.

I hadn't considered the more hard-core boats like Bertram and Hatteras
since I believed they were completely out of my price range.

Any opinions out there? Would I be making a huge mistake with a
Carver? Should I just keep saving for a better quality boat? My
primary goal is cruising the boat in Massachusetts waters - based out of
Boston.

Thanks,

Rich

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE 4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN TOO...

Tim March 28th 14 12:52 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:01:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE 4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN TOO...

Cmon man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really think!

?;^ )

Mr. Luddite March 28th 14 12:57 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 3/28/2014 8:52 AM, Tim wrote:
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:01:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE 4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN TOO...

Cmon man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really think!

?;^ )

Did you notice the date of the post this guy was responding to?

"Saturday, March 18, 2000"

Must have a very slow computer.

Poquito Loco March 28th 14 02:20 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:57:24 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/28/2014 8:52 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

And I think the boat being reviewed was a 1994 Carver!

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/Carver370.htm

"The boat that put Carver over the threshold for us is this 1994 model 370 that experienced massive
bottom laminate failure."

Must still be using string land lines.

Mr. Luddite March 28th 14 02:35 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 3/28/2014 8:52 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Back in 2000 when I was shopping for my first larger boat a local dealer
was really pushing a new Carver on me and making me offers "I couldn't
refuse" (according to him). It was nicely done inside but was one of
those high backed cockpit type that you have to climb up a ladder to
board. I passed, despite his best efforts. That's when I ended up
buying the Navigator. Much better built boat, huge stringers compared
to the Carver. You could tell just by looking at the construction the
Navigator was a well designed and well built boat. Jules Marshall (the
designer) backed off on the bling and focused on structure.

When the bow thruster was installed I saved a piece of the hull that
they cut out. The hull of the Navigator was solid fiberglass that was
1-1/4" thick. I mounted a piece on a framed display board and had it
hanging in the salon.

F*O*A*D March 28th 14 02:38 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

wrote:

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else
will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER
OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER
BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS
MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR
DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE
4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND
CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH
ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN
TOO...

Cmon man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really think!

?;^ )

Did you notice the date of the post this guy was responding to?

"Saturday, March 18, 2000"

Must have a very slow computer.

It's the latest model Greggster 8088, running Windows 1.1, and is
connected to a 150 BPS acoustic modem.

F*O*A*D March 28th 14 03:59 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 3/28/14, 11:52 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:38:07 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

It's the latest model Greggster 8088, running Windows 1.1, and is
connected to a 150 BPS acoustic modem.

Having a brand new computer certainly has not made you any smarter.

I don't have to be *any* smarter. My SATs and GREs qualified me as smart
enough. How were yours?

F*O*A*D March 28th 14 05:15 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 3/28/14, 12:45 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:59:55 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 3/28/14, 11:52 AM,
wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:38:07 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

It's the latest model Greggster 8088, running Windows 1.1, and is
connected to a 150 BPS acoustic modem.

Having a brand new computer certainly has not made you any smarter.

I don't have to be *any* smarter. My SATs and GREs qualified me as smart
enough. How were yours?

I did very well on the ACT (the test they used in DC). I was accepted
to 3 colleges (GW AU, U Md), I just chose not to go. Money was a big
part of it.

GW and AU are expensive, but I'll bet you could have gotten most of your
ticket paid for at Maryland through scholarships and low interest
student loans.

My wife always griped at the $850 or whatever it was student activity
fee per semester where she got her doctorate, because, as she said, "I
don't have any time to go to any student activities." That $850 was more
than I paid per semester for full-time academic load tuition and books
back in the dark ages when I went to college.

Wayne.B March 28th 14 05:17 PM

Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 3/28/14, 11:52 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:38:07 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

It's the latest model Greggster 8088, running Windows 1.1, and is
connected to a 150 BPS acoustic modem.

Having a brand new computer certainly has not made you any smarter.

I don't have to be *any* smarter. My SATs and GREs qualified me as smart
enough. How were yours?

===

Given your track record of prevarication and fraud, why should we
believe any of that? Actions speak louder than words, and your
actions are reprehensible. Intelligent is as intelligent does.

You're lucky not to be in jail.