Dwayne S. Byrd

Default Stupid Mistake

I can't believe how stupid I am, but after installing a new battery in
my 2001 Stingray 190FX I/O, I actually hooked it up backwards.
Needless to say, the electrical system is dead. Tested and replaced
several fuses. The power tilt and trim still works, but I believe
this is because it has it's own connection to the battery.

Everything else is dead- ignition, blower, bildge, etc.

It's at the shop now, but in the meantime, any ideas on what all could
be fried?

And no, I hadn't even had a drink yet when it happened. Wish I had,
because at least I could have blamed it on that.

Not sure a blown diode would manifest itself like this? Sounds to me
like you have blown/tripped a MAIN fuse/braker that supplies your
electrical panel?

Jeff Rigby

wrote in message
ups.com...
Not sure a blown diode would manifest itself like this? Sounds to me
like you have blown/tripped a MAIN fuse/braker that supplies your
electrical panel?

I agree, all motors don't care if they are reversed. The alternator and
electronic ignition on the other hand..... Still, the alternator diode can
handle at least (small alt) 30 amps and there are three of them so 90 amps
before shorting. Should have some smoking wires before a diode shorts.
There is a breaker on mercruser engines where the harness plugs into the
engine, That is probably blown.

Humboldt

Now would you have made the same mistake if you had been drinking? It
happens to the best of us at least that's my excuse as I did the same thing
to a 1985 Suburban and cooked the fusible link in it. Oh did I tell you that
I'm a Journeyman Electrician with over 20 years on the job, I wasn't
drinking that day either, hmmm.

Mark you leads red and black and maybe even put a little paint on the
battery as with age our eyesight isn't the best anymore and those markings
on the batteries are the same color as the battery. If you want to really
up date your wiring mark the neg lead Yellow as that's the "new" black this
year.

Mick
"Dwayne S. Byrd" wrote in message
I can't believe how stupid I am, but after installing a new battery in
my 2001 Stingray 190FX I/O, I actually hooked it up backwards.
Needless to say, the electrical system is dead. Tested and replaced
several fuses. The power tilt and trim still works, but I believe
this is because it has it's own connection to the battery.

Everything else is dead- ignition, blower, bildge, etc.

It's at the shop now, but in the meantime, any ideas on what all could
be fried?

And no, I hadn't even had a drink yet when it happened. Wish I had,
because at least I could have blamed it on that.

Glenn S.

A friend of mine did that to his boat a couple of years back. If I'm not
mistaken, I believe his master wiring harness was 'fried'. They ended up
replacing all his wiring and he was back on the water within a week.

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2003 Swee****er 22' Pontoon Boat
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/gs_pontoon01.html

FOR SALE: 1999 Fleetwood Mallard 37' Travel Trailer
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Mallard001,html

"Dwayne S. Byrd" wrote in message
I can't believe how stupid I am, but after installing a new battery in
my 2001 Stingray 190FX I/O, I actually hooked it up backwards.
Needless to say, the electrical system is dead. Tested and replaced
several fuses. The power tilt and trim still works, but I believe
this is because it has it's own connection to the battery.

Everything else is dead- ignition, blower, bildge, etc.

It's at the shop now, but in the meantime, any ideas on what all could
be fried?

And no, I hadn't even had a drink yet when it happened. Wish I had,
because at least I could have blamed it on that.

Woodchuck

Your wallet is short(ed) by the time it all gets fixed. Anything sensitive
to polarity mostly will be fired. Alt, stereo, engine ECU if fuel injected!
Remember RED = +, and BLACK = (-)!

"Dwayne S. Byrd" wrote in message
I can't believe how stupid I am, but after installing a new battery in
my 2001 Stingray 190FX I/O, I actually hooked it up backwards.
Needless to say, the electrical system is dead. Tested and replaced
several fuses. The power tilt and trim still works, but I believe
this is because it has it's own connection to the battery.

Everything else is dead- ignition, blower, bildge, etc.

It's at the shop now, but in the meantime, any ideas on what all could
be fried?

And no, I hadn't even had a drink yet when it happened. Wish I had,
because at least I could have blamed it on that.

Dwayne S. Byrd

Thanks to everyone who responded. As it turns out, I was lucky.
There is a 90 amp fuse somewhere near the starter on my Mercruiser
that blew. $75 in parts and labor, and a week later, and I was on my
way again.

Here's one mistake I will NEVER make again!

Demonstrably Stupid Capt. Neal® ASA 143 April 11th 05 06:04 AM
OT - Demonstrably Stupid Capt. Neal® General 18 April 4th 05 01:41 PM
OT - Demonstrably Stupid Capt. Neal® Cruising 13 April 3rd 05 02:13 AM
Mystery Beach Photo Contest Horvath ASA 21 October 3rd 03 05:45 PM
Another Boat show Donal ASA 20 September 30th 03 05:53 PM