Default Carver boats - a big mistake?

On 6/3/2018 8:02 AM, Tim wrote:

3/28/14Mr. Luddite
Back in 2000 when I was shopping for my first larger boat ....You could tell just by looking at the construction the
Navigator was a well designed and well built boat. Jules Marshall (the
designer) backed off on the bling and focused on structure.

When the bow thruster was installed I saved a piece of the hull that
they cut out. The hull of the Navigator was solid fiberglass that was
1-1/4" thick. I mounted a piece on a framed display board and had it
hanging in the salon.

........,,

The hull was only 1-1/4” thick? I figured it’d be a lot thicker than that. Like it should have been 2-3”

Where the heck are these posts coming from? They are ancient.

But, 1-1/4" thick solid fiberglass is pretty thick for a boat hull.

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 08:54:38 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 6/3/2018 8:02 AM, Tim wrote:

3/28/14Mr. Luddite
Back in 2000 when I was shopping for my first larger boat ....You could tell just by looking at the construction the
Navigator was a well designed and well built boat. Jules Marshall (the
designer) backed off on the bling and focused on structure.

When the bow thruster was installed I saved a piece of the hull that
they cut out. The hull of the Navigator was solid fiberglass that was
1-1/4" thick. I mounted a piece on a framed display board and had it
hanging in the salon.

........,,

The hull was only 1-1/4 thick? I figured itd be a lot thicker than that. Like it should have been 2-3

Where the heck are these posts coming from? They are ancient.

But, 1-1/4" thick solid fiberglass is pretty thick for a boat hull.

Could be Tim's thinking of a Boston Whaler style hull with a foam core inside much thinner
fiberglass.
Tim Tim is offline

Mr. Luddite
Where the heck are these posts coming from? They are ancient.

But, 1-1/4" thick solid fiberglass is pretty thick for a boat hull.

Maybe. But not for a boat if your sized diesel powered Navigator.

I’d think...

On 6/3/2018 7:49 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Where the heck are these posts coming from? They are ancient.

But, 1-1/4" thick solid fiberglass is pretty thick for a boat hull.

Maybe. But not for a boat if your sized diesel powered Navigator.

I’d think...

I think you would be surprised. I can't remember the details now but I
recall investigating that when I saw the thickness of the hull when
they cut the holes for the thruster. Most fiberglass hulls on a boat of
that approximate size is less than an inch thick. Fiberglass is strong
stuff. We are talking solid glass, below the waterline and not upper
sections that are cored.

The guy that built Navigators (Jules Marshall) believed in "when in
doubt, make it stout". He was known for building strong boats at the
expense of some of super fancy interiors. I remember the stringers in
the engine room were about 15 inches high and 2-2.5 inches thick. I've
been in many boats of that approximate size and never saw anything like
those in that boat.

I just bought a used Carver 38-foot Santiago 1994 how are they rated I only intend to do Coastal boating with her and use it mainly as a live-aboard is this a good investment

I am new to boating and would like to know if there's a general checklist I like a PreFlight list for airplanes that I can get to check out the Carver from start to finish this would be my first Powerball and I would like to take care of it in a way that make sure that I don't harm other boaters or my family thank you
Tim Tim is offline

I am new to boating and would like to know if there's a general checklist I like a PreFlight list for airplanes that I can get to check out the Carver from start to finish this would be my first Powerball and I would like to take care of it in a way that make sure that I don't harm other boaters or my family thank you

——-

Oh there’s probably a check list somewhere. The US coastguard sites would have plenty about safety equipment but for a boat that size, probably the best you could do is pay a bit and have it surveyed. the surveyor would give it a professional going over and detect future problems if not present ones. Their signature on the documentation is a Good thing to have.
Tim Tim is offline

John H
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 17:57:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I am new to boating and would like to know if there's a general checklist I like a PreFlight list for airplanes that I can get to check out the Carver from start to finish this would be my first Powerball and I would like to take care of it in a way that make sure that I don't harm other boaters or my family thank you

What Tim said. Survey.
———-

I not problem is, they probably should have it surveyed before the purchase...,

wrote:
I just bought a used Carver 38-foot Santiago 1994 how are they rated I
only intend to do Coastal boating with her and use it mainly as a
live-aboard is this a good investment

You ask after buying?

Please Help Fix My Mistake supsand General 16 June 22nd 06 06:55 PM
Scotty's mistake Joe ASA 146 April 7th 06 03:18 AM
mistake Doug Kanter General 4 August 2nd 05 05:49 AM
Stupid Mistake Dwayne S. Byrd General 7 June 11th 05 03:28 PM
Another mistake? The_navigator ASA 13 November 24th 03 03:59 AM