Default To be a pilot with the Northern Virginia Radio Controlled Club

....one must first meet the Pilot Qualification Requirements. That should be a pretty easy task,
right? Think again:

http://www.1nvrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Pilot_Qualification_Requirements_2013.pdf

Check out the flight requirements on the bottom. The requirements to carry a concealed firearm
aren't nearly as tough!

On Friday, March 7, 2014 7:43:46 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:
...one must first meet the Pilot Qualification Requirements. That should be a pretty easy task,

right? Think again:

http://www.1nvrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Pilot_Qualification_Requirements_2013.pdf

Check out the flight requirements on the bottom. The requirements to carry a concealed firearm

aren't nearly as tough!

To someone just starting out that seems like a lot, but once you get comfortable it's really not that bad. There's a steep learning curve early, then it gets easier.

Sounds like they are a busy, crowded club, and don't want any newbies slowing up the flight line.

On Friday, March 7, 2014 7:43:46 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:
...one must first meet the Pilot Qualification Requirements. That should be a pretty easy task,

right? Think again:

http://www.1nvrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Pilot_Qualification_Requirements_2013.pdf

Check out the flight requirements on the bottom. The requirements to carry a concealed firearm

aren't nearly as tough!

Hell, man, you don't actually have to be alive to get a concealed carry
permit in Virginia.

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 7:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, March 7, 2014 7:43:46 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:

...one must first meet the Pilot Qualification Requirements. That should be a pretty easy task,

right? Think again:

http://www.1nvrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Pilot_Qualification_Requirements_2013.pdf

Check out the flight requirements on the bottom. The requirements to carry a concealed firearm

aren't nearly as tough!

To someone just starting out that seems like a lot, but once you get comfortable it's really not that bad. There's a steep learning curve early, then it gets easier.

Sounds like they are a busy, crowded club, and don't want any newbies slowing up the flight line.

Oh, and I should mention that even our little club has "requirements", but they are pretty simple. You come out and fly as a guest, and get at least three members to sign your application stating that they've seen you fly safely. You then get voted on at the next meeting. Once they get the signatures, I've never heard of anyone not getting the votes.

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 07:22:56 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

On Friday, March 7, 2014 7:43:46 PM UTC-5, John H. wrote:
...one must first meet the Pilot Qualification Requirements. That should be a pretty easy task,

right? Think again:

http://www.1nvrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Pilot_Qualification_Requirements_2013.pdf

Check out the flight requirements on the bottom. The requirements to carry a concealed firearm

aren't nearly as tough!

Hell, man, you don't actually have to be alive to get a concealed carry
permit in Virginia.

Virginia's laws are reasonable:

Application for a Concealed Handgun Permit – Section 18.2-308.02

Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the
county or city in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces,
the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.
There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must
have been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city where he or she resides.

It is suggested that the applicant check with the Circuit Court where they reside for any local
procedures. Questions specific to completion of the application, residency, or acceptable proof of
handgun competency should be directed to the court.

Download/Print
Application for Concealed Handgun Permit
Form SP-248
Documentation of Proof of Handgun Competency - Section 18.2-308.02

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the
applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be
required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and
Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered
by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or
organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle
Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security
guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or
security enforcement;
Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized
shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch
of the armed services;
Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality
thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or
on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms
instructor;
Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm
in the course of normal police duties; or
Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the
instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class
attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which
shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall
constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall
any proof of demonstrated competence expire.

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:22:15 AM UTC-5, John H. wrote:
On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 04:50:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Where's this? Do you fly? What?

I'm in SC. I fly airplanes mostly, from a couple of small electrics up to a giant-scale gas plane. I have a small indoor heli I play with sometimes.

This is our club: http://congareeflyer.com/

I'm building a set of floats to put on an old, .40 glow sized trainer to give float flying a shot. One of the local clubs hosts a float fly on the local lake where I boat every year.

wrote:

Where's this? Do you fly? What?

I'm in SC. I fly airplanes mostly, from a couple of small electrics up to a giant-scale gas plane. I have a small indoor heli I play with sometimes.

This is our club: http://congareeflyer.com/

I'm building a set of floats to put on an old, .40 glow sized trainer to give float flying a shot. One of the local clubs hosts a float fly on the local lake where I boat every year.

Wow! Very nice flying facility. The pictures are great. I'll bet the new runway is a boon to
take-offs and landings.

Thanks for the link. That was fun.

Now, I could use some advice, 'cause I'm getting conflicting answers. I am considering two
airplanes:

Super Cub, BNF and the dx6i 6 channel transmitter:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bnf-HBZ7380#t2
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-SPMR6610

or, the Apprentice, RTF,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-EFL3100

The flyers I've talked to say to go with the Super Cub. When I call the model shops, they say go
with the Apprentice. The Apprentice is bigger, has brushless motor, SAFE technology, etc, but only
the dx5e 5 channel transmitter which has a lot less capability than the dx6i. If I get the Super Cub
BNF with the upgraded transmitter, the costs are getting pretty close between the two choices.

What do you think?

In article , says...

wrote:

[...]

It appears that your choice is flying your plane or fixing your plane. Which one do you want
to do the most?