Tim Tim is offline

Default OT- Absolutely amazing radio controlled B-29

A B29 model powered by 4 chainsaw engines... Complete with a mid-air
launch of an X1 rocket! Here's where a lot of work pays off.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

On 1/16/11 5:47 PM, Tim wrote:
A B29 model powered by 4 chainsaw engines... Complete with a mid-air
launch of an X1 rocket! Here's where a lot of work pays off.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

That's absolutely the right stuff! Thanks.
mmc mmc is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

A B29 model powered by 4 chainsaw engines... Complete with a mid-air
launch of an X1 rocket! Here's where a lot of work pays off.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv
==========
Too cool!

Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 16, 5:29*pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Tim" *wrote in message

A B29 model powered by 4 chainsaw engines... Complete with a mid-air
launch of an X1 rocket! * Here's where a lot of work pays off.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv
==========
Too cool!

Yeah, that's what i thought too!.. A lot of time, energy and detail
went into that model. What gets me is if the 'pilots' ejected then
how'd the thing land???

?;^ Q
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 16, 4:55*pm, Harryk wrote:
On 1/16/11 5:47 PM, Tim wrote:

A B29 model powered by 4 chainsaw engines... Complete with a mid-air
launch of an X1 rocket! * Here's where a lot of work pays off.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

That's absolutely the right stuff! Thanks.

Yessir, that's the right stuff. I wish i had the resources and was
that intuitive

On Jan 16, 5:47*pm, Tim wrote:
A B29 model powered by 4 chainsaw engines... Complete with a mid-air
launch of an X1 rocket! * Here's where a lot of work pays off.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

I've seen that thing fly twice, and watched him crash it once. After
the X1 landed, he spun the B29 down from way up high, where he'd been
circling while the X1 did it's thing. Then he flew down the runway
doing slow rolls, and during one of the rolls the outer third of one
of the wings folded up. That was several years ago, and I understand
it's been crashed and rebuilt more than once since.

The original B29 was built by a guy who didn't get a chance to finish
it before he passed away. The family gave it to Mac Hodges, and he
finished it and began flying it at RC events.

BTW... those aren't exactly "chainsaw" motors. They are purpose-built
for RC aircraft use. The current B29 has four DA-100 motors that are
twin cylinder, 100cc and cost $1000 each. Yes, with all the motors,
radio gear, and airframe it's probably $6000 - 7000 in the air. Just
the props can be over $100 each.

Here's the motor used: http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...hp?Page=DA-100

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 06:12:18 -0800 (PST), "Jack."
wrote:

Here's the motor used: http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...hp?Page=DA-100

That's a lot of power in a small, light weight package. I'm trying to
figure out if there might be other applications for it but then you'd
need a gear box, clutch and all that. Some sort of 10 horse, power
assisted bicycle would be very cool.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 17, 8:12*am, "Jack." wrote:
On Jan 16, 5:47*pm, Tim wrote:

[...]

I passed on the info as I recieved it.

Thanks for the correction.

On Jan 17, 9:21*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:12*am, "Jack." wrote:

On Jan 16, 5:47*pm, Tim wrote:

[...]

It was not meant in any mean-spirited way. How would you know unless
you were into R/C? Besides, many R/C planes acrually *do* use
converted chainsaw motors... they just aren't as light and powerful as
something like the DA motor, but are a whole lot cheaper! And gas&oil
mix is far less expensive than the glow fuel that the traditional R/C
motors use.