Default Outstanding Video on drug use

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 2/7/2014 12:39 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 11:19:50 -0600, Califbill wrote:

Poco Loco wrote:
On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 10:59:47 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
On Friday, February 7, 2014 9:46:00 AM UTC-6, F.O.A.D. wrote:

Yeah, what we have created in this country is a growth industry for the

privatization of penal institutions. The corporations pressure the

legislators to pass more laws and stiffer sentences so more people can

be imprisoned for longer periods of time and so the private slams will

be guaranteed more income. It's a wonderful system and requires a lot

less brainpower than something that might actually work.

What would you do to handle the drug problem?

I don't claim to have *the* solution, but I do know that creating a
growth industry in prisons for the private sector ain't it. I think
decriminalizing simple possession for personal use would be a good
starting point, though.

I suppose that's for all the drugs up through heroin? I suppose you
disagree with the idea of
marijuana being a stepping stone to the 'better' stuff. So where would
you draw the line?

Heroin is actually not a really bad 'hard' drug. Lots of heroin addicts
were functioning members of society. Lots turned to crime because of the
costs to procure, but heroin may kill you in the end because of paranoia.
Ray Charles was a heroin addict for years. Lots of other examples. There
are drugs too nasty to legalize, but the country will not come to an end
with most drugs available. Alcohol probably causes more deaths than hard
drugs. Including the drug wars for sales territory. You have a friend, I
think it was you, who is hooked on OxyContin. Is he still a functioning
member of society? What the hell is accomplished by sending someone to
prison for use? Puts their family in the welfare system, costs to
incarcerate, and ruins any prospect for a decent job later. If they commit
a crime to pay for the drugs, then jail them. But if costs are low enough,
they will work and pay for the drug, just like alcohol. This was supposed
to be a free country. We are being controlled more, and observed more than
a lot of western countries these days. And it is both major parties
responsible, not just one side or the other.

I'm no expert on drugs, and don't have an oxycontin hooked friend, that
I know of. I suppose the
cost of incarceration are more than the costs for emergency OD care, so
stopping the incarceration
may be a good idea. It's obviously not much of a deterrent.

I have a good friend who's daughter got hooked on oxycontin and then went
to heroin because it's cheaper. I have a niece who has followed the same
path. Both started as teenagers in high school. Both have been through
rehab, one twice, the other three times. Both have stolen money, jewelry
and other items from their parents, grandparents, other relatives and
former friends to fund their addictions. Failed marriages, abortions,
and heartbreak for the parents. My 61 year old sister-in-law (mother of
the niece) is now in therapy and is taking anti-anxiety pills because
she's coming apart emotionally due to her daughter's lifestyle.

Anyone who tells me heroin is "not a really bad hard drug" has a lot of
convincing to do to me.

But is the heroin the problem or the screwed up person using? And if was
more legal, how screwed up would they be? Maybe not need to take up a life
of crime to pay for the drugs.

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Bill, that's about the dumbest post I've seen here in a long time.

Maybe. But what we have is not working. Make drug use legal. But no
society money to take care of addicts. Your family takes care of you or
you die.

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Of course heroin is the problem. Both of these people were normal, well
adjusted kids who starting hanging with the wrong people and peer
pressure took over.

Ever see a heroin addict who hasn't had a fix in a while? Ever see what
they will stoop to in order to get their next supply? All rational
thought goes out the window and who they may hurt or affect means
nothing. Bad **** and *much* more difficult to overcome than
alcoholism, IMO.

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Make drug use legal. Hmmm... We'll solve our problems by making
extremely addictive drugs like heroin legal? This country is going
down the tubes fast.

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

You've watched "The 300" too many times and taken it seriously.

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Bill, addictions don't get to a 'functioning member of society' stage and then remain constant. They
get worse, and worse, until the addict hits his/her bottom. The bottom might be a reckless driving
ticket, or it might be death, or somewhere in between.

At least that's been my experience with addicts.

KC KC is offline

Poco Loco wrote:

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

As I stated already, I think decriminalizing simple possession

...of what??

for
personal use (that implies small amounts) would be a good starting
point.

You are free to "suppose" if you wish. That won't necessarily make your
"supposes" accurate, of course, but so long as they are simple supposes
for personal use, it doesn't matter.

Do you agree that marijuana is a stepping stone to more potent stuff?
That seemed to be a theme of
the video. My supposition was based on the 'liberalism' of places where
the sale of marijuana has
been legalized.

Pot is not a stepping stone in 90% of the cases! Look at the pot
consumption over the years. How many went on to hard drugs because of
Pot
use? When I was a lot younger, I went to San Francisco State University.
Pot was readily available. Lots of people in SF used it. Had friends
who
used it. Friend who has since died from cancer, used it heavily for pain
relief. Al was working, and doing a good job while using pot and
suffering
the pain of cancer. Even with the ability and insurance to get
prescription drugs, his choice for relief was a cheap can of Grass.
Pot is
readily available here. Some of the finest grass in the world is
grown on
the North Coast of California. We area having fires here, as they now
make
a house in a nice neighborhood in to a grow op. Bad wiring seems to
be the
lading cause of fires in the business. Why not legalize growing and tax
the product? Last election to legalize, had lots of signs from the pot
growers in Mendocino against the legalization as they feel the will be
put
out of business by big corporate growers. Not because they want to be
illegal. Yes, I have tried it. Did not do much for me. I also have
not
smoked since high school. Before I was the legal age to smoke. That
stopped kids?

Pot may not be a chemical "stepping stone" in terms of addiction however
I think it *is* a peer pressure stepping stone to more dangerous and
addictive drugs in kids. Social pressures will influence them to try
anything. Parents need to be held responsible for the education and
control over what they brought into the world do. *That* is the
problem. Parents today blame it on everyone else and expect someone
else (or the government) to do something about it.

Doesn't help to have a president that publicly acknowledges that pot
isn't that dangerous. He's right, but what kind of influence does that
have on a 12 to 14 year old? They can decide for themselves when they
become adults.

Pot is a stepping stone to the dark side of society, living outside the
law... more than a stepping stone to any other illegal activity such as
drug use, or robbery, etc which the perp may have never gotten involved
in if he wasn't sneaking around with crims, looking for pot...

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

If an OD'd addict shows up at the emergency room, he/she will be treated, unless the laws are
changed drastically. Even then, how are the folks in the emergency room to know if the drug was self
administered or otherwise?

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Never saw it. Maybe I should.

On 2/7/14, 10:50 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]