Default Speaking of guns and horses

I was just reading that a selectman in a town here in MA (Shrewsbury)
has raised an issue regarding gun ownership. He feels that local police
departments should have the authority to visit registered gun owners'
homes and inspect for required safe storage of the guns. His point is
that laws exist that require locks and/or safes for guns but there are
no means of enforcing these laws.

Hmmmmm....

I pondered that one for a little bit then, because of the discussions
here about horses, I realized something.

A permit is required to have horses permanently on your property ... at
least in our town and many others.

The permit is issued yearly based on an inspection of the stables, barn,
and grounds by the animal control inspector. She checks to ensure
sanitary and safe conditions for both the horse(s) and that may visit in
the barn area.

Is that any different than home inspections for the safe storage of
firearms?

I don't know.

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:21:20 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

The big difference is in the 'confiscation' arena, which seems to be the next step up the anti-gun
ladder. It sounds as though protection of the horse is the name of their 'inspection' game. You
reckon they're trying to protect guns with their safety inspections. Suppose you like to sleep with
a loaded pistol under your pillow? Does Joe Cop get to confiscate it if he finds it? Sounds like
about ten too many liberals on the town council.

You'd probably love it if they confiscated the horse!

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!

On 11/12/2013 3:21 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

Meant to say, "sanitary and safe conditions for both the horse(s) and
*people* who may visit in the barn area".

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:36:46 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but it's uncomfortable as hell - having that loaded pistol in a big bulky safe.

On 11/12/13, 3:21 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

The fact that there are going to be inspections should be widely
announced, but the inspections themselves should be unannounced...just a
ring of the doorbell. But my guess is that the NRA would seek and get a TRO.

--
Religion: together we can find the cure.

wrote:

The permit is issued yearly based on an inspection of the stables, barn,
and grounds by the animal control inspector. She checks to ensure
sanitary and safe conditions for both the horse(s) and that may visit in
the barn area.

Is that any different than home inspections for the safe storage of
firearms?

===

Yes, big difference, unless your stable is also your dwelling.

Inspecting the interior of a home except at the time of construction
or renovation generally requires a search warrant and probable cause,
and that's the way it should stay unless you want to roll the clock
back to colonial times and British rule. It's another example of
northeastern nanny state mentality run amok.

In article ,
says...

[...]

They're trying to protect innocent people from morons like you. If you
sleep with a loaded pistol under your pillow they SHOULD confiscate it.

"F.O.A.D." wrote:
[...]

Sounds like with that reasoning, the state can come in and inspect any
dwelling or land. Might be a building without the proper permit. Maybe
you have a leaking toilet, and wasting water. Something that was addressed
in the Constitution. DC court tossed the permit to own a gun in DC, did in
they?

Speaking of guns Salmonbait[_2_] General 15 February 9th 13 11:50 PM
Lock up those horses... Don White General 18 December 3rd 08 07:55 PM
Speaking of guns .. Eisboch General 21 October 28th 08 08:24 PM
White Horses Carey Robson Touring 0 December 19th 03 05:00 PM
White Horses Carey Robson UK Paddle 0 December 19th 03 05:00 PM