John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of guns and horses

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:36:46 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 11/12/2013 3:32 PM, John H wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:21:20 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

I was just reading that a selectman in a town here in MA (Shrewsbury)
has raised an issue regarding gun ownership. He feels that local police
departments should have the authority to visit registered gun owners'
homes and inspect for required safe storage of the guns. His point is
that laws exist that require locks and/or safes for guns but there are
no means of enforcing these laws.

Hmmmmm....

I pondered that one for a little bit then, because of the discussions
here about horses, I realized something.

A permit is required to have horses permanently on your property ... at
least in our town and many others.

The permit is issued yearly based on an inspection of the stables, barn,
and grounds by the animal control inspector. She checks to ensure
sanitary and safe conditions for both the horse(s) (*and people*) who may visit in
the barn area.

Is that any different than home inspections for the safe storage of
firearms?

I don't know.

Suppose you like to sleep with a loaded pistol under your pillow?

Doesn't everybody?

Yeah, but it's uncomfortable as hell - having that loaded pistol in a big bulky safe.

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!