Tim Tim is offline

Default Oldie but Goodie: Boat-Related

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:21:49 AM UTC-5, F.O.A.D. wrote:
My brother sent this along. He says it has been circulating for ages,

but I've not seen it before.

It's perfect for this newsgroup and its non-boating right-wing ****

slingers.

"An interesting fact about Manu In the 16th and 17th centuries,

everything had to be transported by ship, and it was also before the

invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were

quite common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form, it weighed a lot

less than when wet. But once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it

become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a

by product is methane gas of course. Since the stuff was stored below

decks in bundles, you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began

to build up below decks, and the first time someone came below at night

with a lantern -- BOOM! Several ships were destroyed in this manner

before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the

bundles of manure were always stamped with 'Stow high in transit' on

them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower

decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this

volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

"This evolved the term 'S.H.I.T.', (Stow High In Transit) which has come

down through the centuries and is in use to this very day. You probably

did not know the true history of this word."

It's been running on the 'net for at least 5 years, and according to this source, it's false

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...m#.UehklKxwOSo

On 7/18/13 5:58 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Are you saying it is just ****?

I'll tell my brother he's slinging ****.

Tim Tim is offline

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:00:27 PM UTC-5, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 7/18/13 5:58 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

LOL! Is he a right-winger?

Don't matter. Though questionable, the story is humorous

On 7/18/13 5:58 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Make that half brother. Ma was too smart to have a second with Harry's
Daddy.

On 7/18/13 5:58 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

No, he's not a right-winger. What's funny is that my mother was a
lifelong Republican, but when Reagan ascended to the presidency and
served most of his first term, she became an independent and never voted
Republican again. My father was apolitical.

On 7/18/13 5:58 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

How about your brother's father?

Another goodie... John H[_2_] General 0 October 10th 11 05:10 PM
An Oldie, but Goodie TopBassDog General 4 September 7th 11 02:48 AM
An Oldie but Goldie Secular Humourist General 82 October 4th 10 01:41 PM
An oldie... HK General 5 July 9th 09 06:49 PM
Goodie! got a little bit of snow last night. Tim General 19 December 7th 08 11:40 PM