Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

On 6/20/2013 8:32 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:56:01 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

I'm only an occasional "griller," and I'll be the first to admit my
knowledge of the care and keeping of a barbecue grill is minimal. To
wit, the problem is keeping the grill spiffy enough to satisfy even my
minimal non-OCD male standards of cleanliness.

OCD cleanliness and grills don't go together

To start with, the only part that needs to be somewhat clean is the
grate the food goes on but you are supposed to bring it all up to heat
before you start cooking so it is not a germ thing.

I brush mine when I am done and wipe them down again before the food
goes on. Beyond that, I clean the grill once or twice a year (take it
apart in the yard and hit it with a pressure cleaner)

I have a 10 year old stainless Sams gas grill that I abuse by putting
wood chips and occasionally charcoal in. If it finally does rot out, I
will buy another one and burn it up.
I have bought new burners, flame tamers and grates a couple times over
that time.
This thing gets used 2-4 times a week, year around. More in the summer
when I don't want cooking heat in the house. My oven and water heater
are outside the A/C envelope too.

Same goes for me except I don't use mine as much and it's not SS. I
change the burners "use ss for that" here and there but it lives under
cover so it's not rotting out much. I heat it up before I use it and
scrape it off, and do the same when I am done...

wrote in message

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if you
want to go the wood pellet route.

----------------------
I think the only improvement on my Traeger I would like is an easy way to
empty the pellet hopper to change the wood type. I know there are others,
but better? Maybe, maybe not. Probably cheaper.

wrote in message ...

[...]

---------------

My SS gas grill, that the Traeger replaced had a $100 replacement heater
tube. I modified it to use Walmart replacement tubes, but still was always
having problems. So I cut the top of the case off, welded the side burner
to the cabinet, and put a marble top on the cabinet. Now I have a side
burner and a nice prep table. Holds the propane tank.

On 6/21/2013 12:01 AM, Califbill wrote:
wrote in message

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:50:51 PM UTC-4, Califbill wrote:

Or get a Treager,

Their patent has expired, so now you have better choices than Treager if
you want to go the wood pellet route.

----------------------
I think the only improvement on my Traeger I would like is an easy way
to empty the pellet hopper to change the wood type. I know there are
others, but better? Maybe, maybe not. Probably cheaper.

Sounds silly but I picked up a vacuum at Lowes a couple years back. It's
only a power head, filter, and hose, no attachments, no tank... it is
designed to sit on top of any regular five gallon paint bucket and cost
maybe 20 bucks. It would be great for emptying the hopper and it's cheap
enough you could get one and dedicate it to just that...

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/v...c.php?id=33525

Not to mention there us usually a sale somewhere for those little one
gallon ShopVacs for 20-30 bucks too...

wrote in message

[...]

------------------

I have a couple shop vacs. Just would be nice if they had a small drain
chute for changing pellets. As to the 5 gallon vacs, in the 1960's we
created the monster shop vac for a 5 gallon can. We took the Lamb vacuum
motor off a CDC tape drive with vacuum columns , same physical size as they
old motors on the 5 gallon can vac. Except it had about 4x the suction of
the original. I just scoop out most and toss in the new pellets. Mostly I
use hickory, so do not change much.

On 6/21/13 12:05 AM, Califbill wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

Wow...you guys are really serious about grilling! I got a steal two
years ago on a huge Weber gas grill, a model that was being upgraded,
and Home Despot apparently had a lot of inventory. A kazillion pieces
and parts in a really heavy box.

Anyway, we just use it as an outdoor cooker on the deck cooker,
typically for chicken or fish and some veggies in a pan, and once in a
while for a burger or steak. We don't eat a lot of beef, so we're not
into "high level" barbecuing.

The grates are now clean, thanks to the self-cleaning oven, and the only
messy part left is the big drip pan at the bottom of the grill that
supposedly channels the goop to a tossable aluminum foil tray.
I have to clean the grill on the deck by disassembling it partially and
taking the parts inside or into the yard. I don't want a big mess on the
deck.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:53:09 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 06:08:51 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

Wow...you guys are really serious about grilling! I got a steal two
years ago on a huge Weber gas grill, a model that was being upgraded,
and Home Despot apparently had a lot of inventory. A kazillion pieces
and parts in a really heavy box.

Anyway, we just use it as an outdoor cooker on the deck cooker,
typically for chicken or fish and some veggies in a pan, and once in a
while for a burger or steak. We don't eat a lot of beef, so we're not
into "high level" barbecuing.

The grates are now clean, thanks to the self-cleaning oven, and the only
messy part left is the big drip pan at the bottom of the grill that
supposedly channels the goop to a tossable aluminum foil tray.
I have to clean the grill on the deck by disassembling it partially and
taking the parts inside or into the yard. I don't want a big mess on the
deck.

Mine is always such a mess when I get around to cleaning it that I
have to take it to a part of the yard away from anything I care about
I take out the grates and burners, tip it over and blast it with the
pressure cleaner. Crap goes everywhere.
The drip tray that came with it gave up the ghost a while ago so I
made a new one from 18ga galvanized. That seems to be doing OK.
Other than that the thing seems to be doing OK

I use a Weber 220 for the house gas grill, a 120 for the trailer. Clean the big chunks off the
inside about once a year. The grill is porcelainized cast iron. High heat and the metal brush keep
it clean. The Weber spray on 'No Stick' works well.

John H.
--

Hope you're having a great day!

On 6/21/2013 10:53 AM, wrote:
[...]

Again, I am in the same boat... It's bbq for ****'s sake. It's suppose
to be down and dirty.

On 6/21/13 11:18 AM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute wrote:
On 6/21/2013 10:53 AM, wrote:
[...]

I figure it is dangerous enough eating barbecue without having bits and
pieces of year old food from previous grillings falling onto it. I
don't mind a "patina" of grease and whatever on the grill, though I do
like keeping the grates reasonably sanitary.

Best Grill for sailboat ?? NE Sailboat Cruising 22 February 28th 07 01:56 AM
Magna Grill Problem/Advice Jim Bailey General 3 August 24th 04 12:09 AM
our grill Scott Vernon ASA 13 June 19th 04 02:37 PM
A Better Grill-FYI Bobsprit ASA 8 May 30th 04 03:39 AM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM