Default Barbecue Grill Advice - Could Be On Topic

I'm only an occasional "griller," and I'll be the first to admit my
knowledge of the care and keeping of a barbecue grill is minimal. To
wit, the problem is keeping the grill spiffy enough to satisfy even my
minimal non-OCD male standards of cleanliness.

Even though I brush down the grill grates per all the instructions
before using the grill, they and the pieces and parts underneath them
still accumulate mass quantities of the bits and pieces that fall off
and drip off when I fire up the mammalian cooker.

I've tried a few "grill cleaning" chemicals, products from Easy Off and
Weber, for example, but none I've tried so far do what I want - and that
is to literally dissolve the "remains" that stick on the grates and
grill innards. I'm still left with the messy job
of scraping and scrubbing, and since our grill is large and on a deck,
there's another mess to clean up after trying to clean the grill.

I haven't tried putting the grates in our self-cleaning oven, but I
understand that might work. It seems pretty drastic, though.

So, my droogs (a top of the hat to Anthony Burgess), have you discovered
any grill cleaner formula that really works, and dissolves the nasty
leftovers without having to spend an entire day scrubbing?

And what think you of the self-cleaning oven technique for the grates?

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Put a piece of tin foil or a cookie sheet on top of the grill surface to
hold the heat and turn the grill to high. Check every 10 minutes or so
to see how it's doing. A light scrubbing should be all that's needed
after that.

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

--------------------------

Fwd'd since Harry has Hank in the Bozo bin ....

In article ,
says...

[...]

You can do the same with the grill, just turn all burners on high, close
the door and let 'er rip for awhile.

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Ahh, thanks, but somehow I think any "advice" coming to me from "Hank"
on this subject would result in a fire, an explosion, or global
thermonuclear war.

As it turns out, I've found several cites on line for the self-cleaning
oven technique, so I am giving it a try with the stainless steel grills
and flame bar covers, which are heavy gauge stainless. There are a
couple of other major pieces inside the grip (the drip panel, for
example), that I can easily remove and take onto the lawn for a good
scrubbing.

Still, there must be some sort of spray-on cleaner that *really* works
on greasy grills. Somewhere.

Alternatively, Weber ought to make a self-cleaning barbecue
grill...flick a switch and voila!

On 6/20/13 9:02 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I hate to admit this, but I forgot to clean it out after we stopped
using it for the season last October. I've got the the heavy gauge parts
in the self-cleaning oven now, and I can smell the aroma of grease being
burned to death. We'll see how that works.

In article ,
says...

[...]

Turning it up and closing the door does a great job, and it will smoke
like hell for awhile while it burns cobwebs, grease, baked on "stuff"
etc. But after a good burning, it will all brush right off.

"F.O.A.D." wrote in message
m...

On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

We just close the top, crank up all the burners to full and wait until
it stops smoking.
Once it cools off any residue left easily brushes off.

You don't want to super clean it. A grill is like an old fashioned
cast iron frying pan. Needs to be "seasoned".
The high temperatures reached in the "cleaning mode" described above
will kill any bacteria.

On 6/20/2013 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

Do you really believe that?

On 6/20/2013 9:06 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 6/20/13 8:51 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"Hank©" wrote in message
b.com...

On 6/20/2013 7:56 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:

[...]

I understand if you're scared to follow my advice. ;-)

Best Grill for sailboat ?? NE Sailboat Cruising 22 February 28th 07 01:56 AM
Magna Grill Problem/Advice Jim Bailey General 3 August 24th 04 12:09 AM
our grill Scott Vernon ASA 13 June 19th 04 02:37 PM
A Better Grill-FYI Bobsprit ASA 8 May 30th 04 03:39 AM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM