Default Best Grill for sailboat ??

It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

* NE Sailboat wrote, On 2/24/2007 1:09 PM:
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

I use a Magma 2 on a mount that allows it to swing out over the side.
There is no spot on my boat to put a rectangular grill.

The Magma 2 is a huge step up from the old Magma - the cover does the
right thing, the lighter works, its never gone out. Although I have a
hose to the propane tank, and have used that setup for years, I've
recently reverted to the small bottles which I've found are easier to use.

On Feb 24, 1:09 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

I went through much the same process last year. After having finally
decided on the Magma Catalina, I brought it home and mounted it.

The latch failed. So did the replacement. Enough of that.

I got a portable grill from Lowes - all stainless - and modified the
feet to go on modified Magma mounts. You can see pix of that exercise
in my refit galleries.

97 bux, and 68 for the mounts. Works like a champ, but won't stay lit
in 20 knot winds from the stern - I've not yet had the chance to test
it in anchored conditions...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
you
away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 24, 10:09 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

Hi: those way too expenive marine hang on your boat
grills........................ The PO of my boat had one. It was one
of the first bags of stuff I removed. To many reasons why I removed it
and gave it to a friend who manages a 7 story appartment building. He
put it on the fire escape. If you interested in the down sides send
me an email.
Bob

The best grill is the one you custom build yourself out of 316 for intended
job in the intended place.
Steve

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

On Feb 24, 1:09 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

I agree with Skip about the portable grill from Lowe's. Half the
price of a Magma and those other "marine" grills. You will have to
design a mounting system for it, but that really is very simple--a 30
minute job. We use ours frequently for meat, fish, toast and baking
french bread. Never blows out.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Peter ... so far I am figuring that the Lowe's idea is the way to go..

Now, what Lowe's model did you buy? Are you talking a round grill, a square
grill, etc. what kind?

Once I have the grill .. I am thinking the model must be one small enough to
sit on a table .. right?

I haven't gone to Lowe's yet so if you could be more specific on the
attachment system?

What did you use for the attachment? What parts? Where did you get the
parts?

More info if you can?

==============
"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 1:09 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

I agree with Skip about the portable grill from Lowe's. Half the
price of a Magma and those other "marine" grills. You will have to
design a mounting system for it, but that really is very simple--a 30
minute job. We use ours frequently for meat, fish, toast and baking
french bread. Never blows out.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Bob Bob is offline

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

I follow a rule ................. flames on boat bad!

On Feb 25, 10:30 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
Peter ... so far I am figuring that the Lowe's idea is the way to go..

Now, what Lowe's model did you buy? Are you talking a round grill, a square
grill, etc. what kind?

Once I have the grill .. I am thinking the model must be one small enough to
sit on a table .. right?

I haven't gone to Lowe's yet so if you could be more specific on the
attachment system?

What did you use for the attachment? What parts? Where did you get the
parts?

More info if you can?

=============="Peter" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 24, 1:09 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
It is almost spring .. and I am thinking of a grill.

What grill, and what model and what mount and why .. etc.

Tally ho

I agree with Skip about the portable grill from Lowe's. Half the
price of a Magma and those other "marine" grills. You will have to
design a mounting system for it, but that really is very simple--a 30
minute job. We use ours frequently for meat, fish, toast and baking
french bread. Never blows out.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/..._Work&start=78

That starts the installation sequence on the grill we bought.

Sorry to hit and run, but I have to go fuel and get gone...

L8R

Skip

Tom,

Our grill is a "BBQ Grillware" Same as Skip's--he and I corresponded
about it some months ago. We bought it at Lowe's for about $75. Skip
indicates he paid $98 for the grill. Maybe mine was on sale. It is
stainless steel, rectangular, measures about 12"X20". I attached 2
spring clips to the rear bottom of the grill that I clip on to the
stern rail. I drilled holes in the ends of the spring clips so I
could put hairpin clips to secure them to the rail. Spring clips are
commonly used to hold poles or rods of various kinds to walls,
ceilings, etc. Available in stainless at Lowes in their limited
boating supplies display. I have attached a strut to the front center
bottom of the grill that is also attached to the bottom of a
stanchion. This part can simply be a piece of flat stock long enough
to reach from the bottom of the grill to the bottom of a stanchion,
you could use an angle of some kind to attach it to the grill and
maybe a hose clamp along with a bolt to hold the bottom of the strut
to the stanchion. My strut is made from a piece of stainless tubing
because that's what I had available. This provides 3 points of
support. If you can't mount the grill over a stanchion, you could run
the strut down to some point on the coaming. Basically, you want to
attach the grill to the rail and support the front of the grill to
keep it from swinging down. We have left the grill in position in
fairly rough seas with no mishap. According to Skip's pix, he adapted
Magma mounting hardware to mount his. Skip says his mounting system
cost $60 some odd. Mine cost less than $15. It's probably not as
elegant or professional as his and perhaps a bit less convenient. I
will try to take pix tomorrow and post somewhere.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Magna Grill Problem/Advice Jim Bailey General 3 August 24th 04 12:09 AM
our grill Scott Vernon ASA 13 June 19th 04 02:37 PM
Free Grill! BassMan423 General 0 June 13th 04 05:30 PM
Free Grill BassMan423 General 0 June 6th 04 07:27 PM