Default Best Grill for sailboat ??

Peter ,, thanks for the info. I went to Lowes yesterday. And, I looked at
the grill you bought.

I was holding it upside down, etc and along comes the salesclerk. She looks
at me like I am a NUT.

Then I told her I was looking to use it on my boat. So,,, then the both of
us are holding it upside down etc.

It is a good one .. no doubt about that. But ... it won't work on my boat
because I don't have enough room.

I need a smaller grill. I will probably buy a Magma 2. That is if I can
find one cheap on ebay.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm sure someone else here will use
your info for "their" new grill.

That is why we lurk ... knowledge and fraternity.

=================
"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom,

Our grill is a "BBQ Grillware" Same as Skip's--he and I corresponded
about it some months ago. We bought it at Lowe's for about $75. Skip
indicates he paid $98 for the grill. Maybe mine was on sale. It is
stainless steel, rectangular, measures about 12"X20". I attached 2
spring clips to the rear bottom of the grill that I clip on to the
stern rail. I drilled holes in the ends of the spring clips so I
could put hairpin clips to secure them to the rail. Spring clips are
commonly used to hold poles or rods of various kinds to walls,
ceilings, etc. Available in stainless at Lowes in their limited
boating supplies display. I have attached a strut to the front center
bottom of the grill that is also attached to the bottom of a
stanchion. This part can simply be a piece of flat stock long enough
to reach from the bottom of the grill to the bottom of a stanchion,
you could use an angle of some kind to attach it to the grill and
maybe a hose clamp along with a bolt to hold the bottom of the strut
to the stanchion. My strut is made from a piece of stainless tubing
because that's what I had available. This provides 3 points of
support. If you can't mount the grill over a stanchion, you could run
the strut down to some point on the coaming. Basically, you want to
attach the grill to the rail and support the front of the grill to
keep it from swinging down. We have left the grill in position in
fairly rough seas with no mishap. According to Skip's pix, he adapted
Magma mounting hardware to mount his. Skip says his mounting system
cost $60 some odd. Mine cost less than $15. It's probably not as
elegant or professional as his and perhaps a bit less convenient. I
will try to take pix tomorrow and post somewhere.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 26, 4:31 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
grill.

That is why we lurk ... knowledge and fraternity.

================="Peter" wrote in message

My dear lurking reader:

I am not certain the type or size of your boat. However, I want you to
consider very seriously about having a "Bar-B-Q" bolted to a 1" rail
on your boat. They look wonderful in thoes glossy WM pages. Everyone
smiling, laughing with an expensive glass of wine in one hand all cozy
in the cockpit of a sailboat. Ask a fire fighter why thoes things are
a hazard. Or you could ask my friend Mark. He had one. Could not get
his propane tank one filled one weekend so he used one of those qt.
spin-on cans. He cooked away and ran out of gas. Screwed the empty one
off but the valve stuck open spraying the gass everywhere. An ignition
source did the rest. Poof!. Mark was left with 10% third degree burns
to face-neck-chest.

I have two other boat grill stories if you want. neiter as serious
but...... close! Think buring kids......

Flames on boats................ Bad!

You want to burn a bird or some beef. Do it on the dock or the beech.
Flames on boat bad!

BOb

krj krj is offline

[...]

shouldn't that be beach?

oups.com...

================="Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Bob ,, I've had a grill on two other boats and had no problems. Not propane
though. Charcoal grill that swung out over the water.

Do you think the charcoal grills are safer? I have one on my sailboat and
when I use it, I swing it out away from the hull.

Are you saying that "any" grill is dangerous, or is it the propane that is
the danger?

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 26, 2:52 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:

Flames on boats................ Bad!
BOb

Bob ,, I've had a grill on two other boats and had no problems. Not propane
though. Charcoal grill that swung out over the water.

Do you think the charcoal grills are safer? I have one on my sailboat and
when I use it, I swing it out away from the hull.

Are you saying that "any" grill is dangerous, or is it the propane that is
the danger?

Hi:

Excellent percepton check. is it the gass or any grill........
There are many ways to get people about on the water. Just depends on
your philosophy and what a person hopes to accomplish. The great
debate at alt,sailing .asa is how to attach anchor chain to the boat.
Of course the thread wondered to anchors and anchoring. Every body had
extreamly strong opinions on the "proper" equipment and methods. The
intersting thing is that non of the idiots ever stoped to ask: what
type of boat, size, loction etc. They just started blabing opinions.

The same holds true here. What size boat, what kind of sailing/
motoring, where, who else on board etc. One of the more safe grills I
stood next to was the clasic GOM (Gulf Of Mexico) deck grill: 55
gallon drum welded to 1/4" angle iron that was welded to the deck of
220' OSV. But even that caused injury when the boat rolled underway
and the cook fell into it. Burnt both palms badly. Off to the beach he
went leaving his finger prints behind.

THis is how I think about grills and boats...... go and buy the grill
of your dreams. Put it in the back of the mini van. Add 2-3 half drunk
adults, and a dog. Oh, you dont have one??? What about the guy a few
slips down. You know, the big friendly type that all owners say " dont
worry he would never hurt anybody" and then the mut jumps up knocking
**** all over the place. I lost a set of Snap-On wrenches over the
side by a friendly mut that way. Back to the mini van anology. Now
dont forget the 2-3 kids. Now go for a drive down the road at 60 mph.
Sound pretty rediculous, no?

Then why do the same thing on a cramped boat (anything less than 60')
that moves especically when that other idiot goes zooming by leaving a
wake large enough to surf. My personal opinion is too many "accedents"
can happen. Ever see the movie titled "Final Destination 2"?

Take it to the beach. Do it on the dock. When the dog knocks it over
no big deal.
Grills are great......in the back yard next to the lawn mower.

Flames on boat bad.
Bob

Bob,,, I like your "safety first" approach. You are right on, when it
looks like nothing can go wrong ...........................

I will take another closer look at the whole issue.

The expense ,, $200 dollars or so ,, for a Magma grill .. that has me
thinking as well.

========

ps.com...

On Feb 27, 5:29 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
Bob,,, I like your "safety first" approach. You are right on, when it
looks like nothing can go wrong ...........................

I will take another closer look at the whole issue.

The expense ,, $200 dollars or so ,, for a Magma grill .. that has me
thinking as well.

Hi
Dont take me too seriously. I enjoy burnt veggies and grilled meat
with a good Merlot ($6.50/bottle) along with every one else. I think
its one of thoes personal touches every owner will make. My friend
Mark's story really opened my eyes. And at the time my daughter was an
early teen. When I took her and friends sailing I did not want to
spend my time yelling at them to keep them safe so I just started
"teen proofing" my boat/house/yard/life/etc.

Becuse of the type of boating now do I removed the grill cause 1) my
friend Mark's event and 2) it would most likly get ripped off the back
rail by a wave. I am generally a "stone age" sailor. No refegeration.
hand pump freshwater water from a tank, ability to live with a 400 ah
house bank with maybe a weekly charge when out. Solar panels to come
soon. But I expect fully to get flamed on this philosophy.

But please talk to a fire fighter that also
sails.......................................... see what they have to
say about flames on a boat.

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

So how do you cook, Bob? MRE's with heatpacks? Can't be an electric stove,
so there's gotta be a flame-producing stove on that boat somewhere, unless
you live on raw food and unheated canned goods.

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 27, 8:55 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
So how do you cook, Bob? MRE's with heatpacks? Can't be an electric stove,
so there's gotta be a flame-producing stove on that boat somewhere, unless
you live on raw food and unheated canned goods.- Hide quoted text -

Hi: Reasonable question. I do have a two burner propane stove on
board.But how do I cook? These last few years Ive lived at about N45.
At the slip I use my microwave 99% of the time. On the water my meals
are "simple" that require cooking about every 4th day. When in the
warmer climes N30 and below I rarely cook with a stove. No I dont eat
MRE or chew on cans. I eat very tasty meals. It is possible. Ask your
self how do all the poor people in the world eat when refergeration is
not possible, wood an fuel are scarce or too expensive for cooking?

How do they survive????

Back to the Future Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

They eat raw coconut worms or starve, that's what. lol

Magna Grill Problem/Advice Jim Bailey General 3 August 24th 04 12:09 AM
our grill Scott Vernon ASA 13 June 19th 04 02:37 PM
Free Grill! BassMan423 General 0 June 13th 04 05:30 PM
Free Grill BassMan423 General 0 June 6th 04 07:27 PM