minhxn

Default Need help Properller size Mercruiser Alpha One

Hi There,

I have 1991 Rinker 17' long. It has Mercruiser Alpha One stern drive, and
4.3L V6 engine.
I try to look for the right size for its propeller, but I have no luck.
Each place I went, they gave me different result. Some suggested I should
use 17 pitch, and some 19 pictch. I am new boater, and kinda confuse.

Do you have any ideal what propeller should I use for this boat?
If you have part number from Mercruiser, that is even batter.

Thanks a lot,

Ming

gatt

"minhxn" wrote in message

I have 1991 Rinker 17' long. It has Mercruiser Alpha One stern drive, and
4.3L V6 engine.
I try to look for the right size for its propeller, but I have no luck.
Each place I went, they gave me different result. Some suggested I should
use 17 pitch, and some 19 pictch. I am new boater, and kinda confuse.

I have a 21" on my Merc 3L/17.5' boat. 21" is a good, standard all-purpose
prop that will tow skiers fine and get up to speed really nicely. I'd
think with a 4.3 you could go slightly larger for a bit more takeoff out of
the hole if you're going to be pulling skiers, but 21" should definately be
a safe bet.

Above all, get a Clymer shop manual for your motor and follow its
specification. Eventually, given that it's a boat, you're going to need the
manual. I carry mine in the boat when I go out along with my tool and first
aid kits.

-c

Tony Thomas

That boat should require a 23 pitch prop.
Question is - why do you need to replace it. What are your current wide
open rpms.
Take the current prop off and take to a local prop shop. They can measure
it and tell for sure what you have. Then based on your rpms they can advise
as to what new prop you need. You will have to decide do you want - SS, 4
blade, etc...

Tony

"minhxn" wrote in message
Hi There,

I have 1991 Rinker 17' long. It has Mercruiser Alpha One stern drive, and
4.3L V6 engine.
I try to look for the right size for its propeller, but I have no luck.
Each place I went, they gave me different result. Some suggested I should
use 17 pitch, and some 19 pictch. I am new boater, and kinda confuse.

Do you have any ideal what propeller should I use for this boat?
If you have part number from Mercruiser, that is even batter.

Thanks a lot,

Ming

gatt

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message news:25%Qa.73227

You will have to decide do you want - SS, 4
blade, etc...

Any of you guys using stainless instead of aluminum for river boats?
Doesn't it transfer the damage to your outdrive if you hit something rather
than just trashing the prop?

gatt

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message news:bf26n6$

The rubber hub is there to protect from that type of damage.

WOW! That's a relief. I read a boater's book that talked about possible
damage, but I've already had one aluminum prop get FUBARed by a deadhead,
and they couldn't fix it because of the hub. Should have known.

I know where to get a used 21" SS Mercruiser prop for $90 but I guess I
better figure out how to make sure that the hub isn't destroyed. Can those
be replaced in SS props?

-c

Tony Thomas

The hub can be replaced. If the prop is not damaged physically then the hub
should be good. When you try the prop, make a scratch mark on the rear of
the prop and hub. After using, if the scratch does not lign up then you
know the hub is bad.

Tony
http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

news