Default Howdy...

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:53:37 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 3/24/13 2:44 PM, J Herring wrote:

Does lightweight alloy mean polymer? This is off the Bander Mountain site:

No, John, a lightweight or even a heavyweight alloy does *not* mean
polymer.

Wasn't chemistry part of your liberal arts education?

Good grief.

I didn't think so. Therefore the frame isn't polymer.

Thanks, ESAD, you're such a joy to have around. BTW, I've finished my taxes, so am free to give you
some help.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' last resort.

On 3/24/13 4:42 PM, True North wrote:
On Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:53:37 PM UTC-3, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 3/24/13 2:44 PM, J Herring wrote:

Does lightweight alloy mean polymer? This is off the Bander Mountain site:

No, John, a lightweight or even a heavyweight alloy does *not* mean

polymer.

Wasn't chemistry part of your liberal arts education?

Good grief.

SNERK!
This ranks up there with his 2 cycle oil fiasco.

And Herring was a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army.
I'll bet his troops called him Gomer Pyle. In one episode of Mayberry,
R.F.D., Gomer, who worked as an auto mechanic, mistook a carburetor for
a hood ornament. Herring is one half step up the brainpower ladder from
PsychoSnotty and that idiot Canadian Scotty, "etc."

On 3/24/13 4:51 PM, J Herring wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:53:37 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 3/24/13 2:44 PM, J Herring wrote:

Does lightweight alloy mean polymer? This is off the Bander Mountain site:

No, John, a lightweight or even a heavyweight alloy does *not* mean
polymer.

Wasn't chemistry part of your liberal arts education?

Good grief.

I didn't think so. Therefore the frame isn't polymer.

Thanks, ESAD, you're such a joy to have around. BTW, I've finished my taxes, so am free to give you
some help.

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' last resort.

Mine were filed weeks ago, John the Racist, and I even got a small
refund via electronic deposit.

On 3/24/13 4:51 PM, J Herring wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:53:37 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 3/24/13 2:44 PM, J Herring wrote:

Does lightweight alloy mean polymer? This is off the Bander Mountain site:

No, John, a lightweight or even a heavyweight alloy does *not* mean
polymer.

Wasn't chemistry part of your liberal arts education?

Good grief.

I didn't think so. Therefore the frame isn't polymer.

I never field stripped the gun model you bought, so I don't know in your
case, but it is possible for the frame to be polymer, with metal
inserts. Glocks have a polymer frame with metal inserts.

For a guy who spent so much time in the army, and, as an officer, you
sure don't know much about firearms.

Default Speaking of polymer ...

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:13:54 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I had looked at a S&W BG 380 "Bodyguard" at my favorite gun shop a
couple of weeks ago. It's small - classified as a "pocket" pistol -
and has a polymer body. I had heard and read some good reviews but
at the time I decided that it was just *too* small for my hand.

But then I tried one at the range. A friend had purchased one as his
primary "carry" gun. I was really surprised at how comfortable it
was to shoot and, for a very lightweight pistol shooting 380 rounds,
the recoil was far less than what I expected.

So, I got one. It's ideal as a concealed carry if you are into that.
Really don't need a holster. Just stick it in your pants pocket and
after a while you forget it's even there. I like the fact that the
trigger is not exposed, so it can't catch on anything. The trigger
pull is long which takes some getting used to but again I see that as
an additional safety factor for a pistol you can carry in your pocket.
Has a safety and a built-in laser. I like it. My Walther feels
like a lead weight compared to it.

I was going to check out the Ruger LCP .380 as well but thanks to our
goofy and often conflicting governing agencies in this state, it is
not MA compliant.
I think they put the serial number in an offending place or something.

The Sig 250 is a bit bigger than the Bodyguard and weighs about twice as much. It's called a
subcompact, but the barrel length is almost a full inch longer than the one on the Bodyguard. The
metal frame probably accounts for most of the weight difference. Except for one, the reviews I've
read have been pretty good. Of course, the 'one' was right here in rec.boats!

The trigger pull on the P250 is also pretty long, as it's double action only. The safety is a
trigger safety, but I don't see myself carrying the thing with a round in the chamber. But, who
knows.

Actually, the big pusher for a smaller pistol was my wife, who liked the size of her sister's
Walther PK380.

Salmonbait

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:58:01 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 3/24/13 4:51 PM, J Herring wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:53:37 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 3/24/13 2:44 PM, J Herring wrote:

Does lightweight alloy mean polymer? This is off the Bander Mountain site:

No, John, a lightweight or even a heavyweight alloy does *not* mean
polymer.

Wasn't chemistry part of your liberal arts education?

Good grief.

I didn't think so. Therefore the frame isn't polymer.

I never field stripped the gun model you bought, so I don't know in your
case, but it is possible for the frame to be polymer, with metal
inserts. Glocks have a polymer frame with metal inserts.

For a guy who spent so much time in the army, and, as an officer, you
sure don't know much about firearms.

No, it's not a polymer frame with metal inserts.

For a guy who knows everything about everything, you seem to have a lot of trouble with social
skills.

Salmonbait

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:58:01 PM UTC-3, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 3/24/13 4:51 PM, J Herring wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:53:37 -0400, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

On 3/24/13 2:44 PM, J Herring wrote:

Does lightweight alloy mean polymer? This is off the Bander Mountain site:

No, John, a lightweight or even a heavyweight alloy does *not* mean

polymer.

Wasn't chemistry part of your liberal arts education?

Good grief.

I didn't think so. Therefore the frame isn't polymer.

I never field stripped the gun model you bought, so I don't know in your

case, but it is possible for the frame to be polymer, with metal

inserts. Glocks have a polymer frame with metal inserts.

For a guy who spent so much time in the army, and, as an officer, you

sure don't know much about firearms.

Remember that old Phil Silvers comedy show where he was in the army?
Johnny would have been at home in that unit.

On 3/24/13 5:04 PM, J Herring wrote:

The trigger pull on the P250 is also pretty long, as it's double action only. The safety is a
trigger safety, but I don't see myself carrying the thing with a round in the chamber.

Ahh, an adaptation of the famous GLOCK trigger safety, which isn't a
safety at all. Pull the trigger, the gun goes BANG! A real safety
prevents the firearm from firing, even if the trigger is pulled.

Trigger safety.

Here's an article about "trigger safeties."

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/...-safety-issues

In the late 1990s, U.S. employees expressed concerns to the Austrian gun
maker regarding the Glock 22

Glock markets its weapons as "safe action pistols." But internal company
documents reviewed by BusinessWeek—and reported here for the first
time—reveal that in the late 1990s, company employees in the U.S.
expressed concern about the safe performance of the Glock 22, a model
commonly used by American police officers.

If these documents had surfaced in injury lawsuits filed over the years
against Glock, they could have created potentially serious liability
trouble for the company, according to plaintiffs' lawyers. "Documents of
this sort were requested in pretrial discovery by us and by lawyers in
other cases," says Daniel G. Abel, an attorney who helped represent the
city of New Orleans in an ultimately unsuccessful lawsuit against the
gun industry in the late 1990s. "These documents should have been
disclosed in discovery. There is no excuse—no legitimate excuse—for
their not being disclosed."

Glock's general counsel, Carlos Guevara, said in a written response:
"Glock pistols are remarkably safe and reliable, historically and
currently, and are of exceedingly high quality.…When involved in
products liability cases, we respond to discovery requests following the
rules of the jurisdiction, evidentiary rules and practices, and pursuant
to the laws of the United States and orders of the courts."

Safety has long been a point of contention for Glock of Austria. Unlike
most handguns, which have external on-off safeties, Glock pistols are
equipped with internal mechanisms that prevent firing. These internal
safeties are disengaged merely by depressing the trigger.

** The ability to fire immediately, without worrying about an external
safety, is one feature Glock has stressed as an advantage when selling
its guns, especially to police departments.**

Skeptics see this feature in a different light. The Consumer Federation
of America has cited the Glock's design as one reason the gun has been
the subject of dozens of lawsuits filed after unintentional shootings,
including a number by police officers. The company has won or
confidentially settled most of these cases without acknowledging any
liability.

Paul F. Jannuzzo, Glock's former top executive in the U.S., says in an
interview that, overall, the company's pistols are as safe as comparable
handguns—and more durable. "The one problem," he says, "was [the Glock]
would go off sometimes when it wasn't supposed to."

Occasional Jamming

Another problem that surfaced in the 1990s and persisted for years
thereafter was occasional jamming, Jannuzzo says. In 1998 he and other
Glock officials in the U.S. discovered guns that failed to fire
properly. "These malfunctions were very difficult to clear and could not
be cleared with the normal 'tap, rack' drill," stated a Feb. 12, 1998,
memo from American employees to Glock founder and owner Gaston Glock
entitled "Performance of G 22s." "Law enforcement officers see this type
of stoppage as a serious failure and one which has life-threatening
implications," the memo added. "If these were received by the FBI or DEA
[both Glock customers], they would immediately suspend the contract and
demand a retest or other action."

The memo described tests on eight sample guns that were fired more than
2,000 times in all. "In particular, we are concerned with the difference
in the poor test results in the U.S., compared with the better results
achieved in Austria," the memo told Gaston Glock. The company
manufactures parts in Austria and assembles guns for the American market
at a plant outside Atlanta.

Four days later, on Feb. 16, Jannuzzo followed up with a letter to
Gaston Glock. Jannuzzo disputed the contention by company executives in
Austria that the malfunctioning pistols needed a "breaking-in period,"
after which they would work properly. This notion "flies in the face of
the Glock pistol's reputation as being the best shooting semi-automatic
'out of the box,'" Jannuzzo wrote.

In an interview, Jannuzzo adds: "It was a problem, and it was much more
of a problem than they [executives in Austria] wanted to admit.…They
never knew which guns were going to break."

Guevara, the Glock general counsel, disagreed: "Each pistol undergoes
numerous quality control checks throughout the manufacturing and
assembly process.…Additionally, the firearms industry is highly
regulated in the United States (and internationally), and Glock fully
complies with all rules and regulations with respect to every aspect of
Glock's business, including sales."

- - - -

Have fun, and report back when your 30 years of military experience with
firearms results in a BANG! accident.

On 3/24/13 5:06 PM, J Herring wrote:
[...]

I treat each person I meet as *they* deserve. You're a racist ****head,
and I treat you accordingly.

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:04:21 -0400, J Herring wrote:

[...]

Speaking of my wife, she called a few minutes ago to see if I wanted speed loaders for the
revolvers. She's taking her firearms class now, and I gave her the M&P9 and a S&W Chief's Special
(.38 Special) to learn on. It's a five hour class for females taught by a female. Apparently she's
having a pretty good time. She'll probably come home with her own arsenal.

Oh well, at least I won't have to feed 'em and shovel poop!

Salmonbait

--
'Name-calling'...the liberals' last resort.

Howdy Doug Bart ASA 0 November 8th 08 05:42 PM
Well this is a fine howdy do... Short Wave Sportfishing General 4 September 18th 07 07:11 AM
Today's Laugh from Howdy Dubya... Paul Schilter General 0 December 30th 04 08:57 PM
howdy NH~~_/\)~~ ASA 7 May 6th 04 03:00 PM
howdy Nora_h ASA 1 December 26th 03 09:02 PM