Default Some ppl got no sense

I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place, Dog Island. I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much more info cept to decide I don't know the people involved.
Dog island is NOT the place to be in a storm. Every time I go there I marvel at the evidence of storm surges sweeping over the island at heights of about 5' at least. This happens a lot. What kind of maroon spends a tropical storm in such a place?
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 26, 1:33*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place, Dog Island. *I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much more info cept to decide I don't know the people involved.
Dog island is NOT the place to be in a storm. *Every time I go there I marvel at the evidence of storm surges sweeping over the island at heights of about 5' at least. This happens a lot. *What kind of maroon spends a tropical storm in such a place?

The same kind of maroon's who like to stand waist deep in the ocean
looking at the tsunami heading toward them.....

On 6/26/2012 8:43 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 26, 1:33 pm, Frogwatch wrote:
I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place, Dog Island. I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much more info cept to decide I don't know the people involved.
Dog island is NOT the place to be in a storm. Every time I go there I marvel at the evidence of storm surges sweeping over the island at heights of about 5' at least. This happens a lot. What kind of maroon spends a tropical storm in such a place?

The same kind of maroon's who like to stand waist deep in the ocean
looking at the tsunami heading toward them.....

Ummmm, no... With due respect I beg to differ. The folks on that Island
probably know of the impending danger or at least know they are in
immediate danger if they are there during a storm... , I am pretty sure
those vacationing folks who stood there as the water rushed out were in
awe and really didn't quite understand the danger to follow on a
beautiful Sunday morning...

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:33:45 PM UTC-4, Frogwatch wrote:
I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place, Dog Island. I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much more info cept to decide I don't know the people involved.
Dog island is NOT the place to be in a storm. Every time I go there I marvel at the evidence of storm surges sweeping over the island at heights of about 5' at least. This happens a lot. What kind of maroon spends a tropical storm in such a place?

I found out a bit more from the local paper so you decide.

They took a commercial boat over. On Dog Island, this means it runs only if you call them and it is available. There is no other way other than a private boat to get to and from there. By the time they knew the storm was a danger, the commercial boat was not running.
Not sure how much at fault they are as I thought the storm was far away on Sat. The rescue happed Sunday so, I dunno.

"JustWait" wrote in message ...

On 6/26/2012 8:43 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

I differ with your differ. Every time there is a tsunami warning here on
the left coast, people go out to the beach or break water to watch the
waves. Crescent City Breakwater gas given out several Darwin Awards over
the years.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califbill View Post
"JustWait" wrote in message ...

On 6/26/2012 8:43 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 26, 1:33 pm, Frogwatch wrote:
I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place,
Dog Island. I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much
more info cept to decide I don't know best buy gift card glitch the people involved.
[...]

Where exactly is dog island?

Last edited by BountyHunter97 : July 15th 15 at 11:20 PM

On Jun 27, 2:38*am, "Califbill" wrote:
"JustWait" *wrote in ...

On 6/26/2012 8:43 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Up here it's when the odd hurricane reaches our shores. Mostly young
people, due to a large university population, make their way to the
water see the large waves come ashore.

On 6/26/2012 8:43 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

It's natures way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:33:45 PM UTC-4, Frogwatch wrote:
I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place, Dog Island. I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much more info cept to decide I don't know the people involved.
Dog island is NOT the place to be in a storm. Every time I go there I marvel at the evidence of storm surges sweeping over the island at heights of about 5' at least. This happens a lot. What kind of maroon spends a tropical storm in such a place?

Dog Island is a barrier island in NW Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. It is adjacent to St George Island which is much longer. The nearest town on the mainland is Carrabelle. There is no bridge to the mainland. There are no stores or any other place to buy anything on the island. The "road" on the island is a clear track thru the deep sand and mostly impassable unless you let the air out of your tires. However, the only way to get a car there is by way of a Korean War vintage landing craft. Bring your own fuel.
There is a "harbor" at the eastern end (if your draft is over 4' forget it)with a public dock that you cannot tie up to (I dont get it either). There is a grass airstrip 2000' long and Dog Island etiquette says to ignore what goes on there. There are houses on the island that always seem to be falling down because of the difficulty of getting materials to repair them. Supposedly , there are two permanent residents.