View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2008
Default Some ppl got no sense

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:33:45 PM UTC-4, Frogwatch wrote:
I saw a video on Weather.com of a helicopter rescue from my fav place, Dog Island. I don't have sound on my computer so I couldn't get much more info cept to decide I don't know the people involved.
Dog island is NOT the place to be in a storm. Every time I go there I marvel at the evidence of storm surges sweeping over the island at heights of about 5' at least. This happens a lot. What kind of maroon spends a tropical storm in such a place?

Dog Island is a barrier island in NW Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. It is adjacent to St George Island which is much longer. The nearest town on the mainland is Carrabelle. There is no bridge to the mainland. There are no stores or any other place to buy anything on the island. The "road" on the island is a clear track thru the deep sand and mostly impassable unless you let the air out of your tires. However, the only way to get a car there is by way of a Korean War vintage landing craft. Bring your own fuel.
There is a "harbor" at the eastern end (if your draft is over 4' forget it)with a public dock that you cannot tie up to (I dont get it either). There is a grass airstrip 2000' long and Dog Island etiquette says to ignore what goes on there. There are houses on the island that always seem to be falling down because of the difficulty of getting materials to repair them. Supposedly , there are two permanent residents.