Default If this doesn't make you feel old and creaky...

JustWait wrote:
On 1/14/2012 10:52 PM, Earl wrote:
Happy John wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:39:31 -0500, wrote:

X ` Man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9TP...&feature=share
Amazing performance but she will probably need knee and hip surgery
before she's 50.
As my younger daughter, a cheerleader and gymnast in high school, will
attest. She goes in for her
hip surgery in about a week.

That's a rough sport.

I met an NFL alum that played in the Super Bowl and he could hardly walk
at 44 years old.

Wonder if he had any regrets...

I didn't ask but I'm sure he never expected it to be that bad. He was a
paid speaker at a corporate event and I'll never forget watching him
struggle to walk up three stairs to get to the podium.
Tim Tim is offline

X ` Man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9TP...&feature=share
Amazing performance but she will probably need knee and hip surgery
before she's 50.
As my younger daughter, a cheerleader and gymnast in high school, will
attest. She goes in for her
hip surgery in about a week.

That's a rough sport.

I met an NFL alum that played in the Super Bowl and he could hardly walk
at 44 years old.

Wonder if he had any regrets...

Several years ago, there was a documentary done on the likes of these
guys. Some were in wheel chairs. They were asked the same question,
and ironically most said they had no regrets at all and if able would
'do it again'

On 1/15/12 1:09 AM, wrote:

X ` Man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9TP...&feature=share
Amazing performance but she will probably need knee and hip surgery
before she's 50.
As my younger daughter, a cheerleader and gymnast in high school, will
attest. She goes in for her
hip surgery in about a week.
That's a rough sport.

I met an NFL alum that played in the Super Bowl and he could hardly walk
at 44 years old.

Wonder if he had any regrets...

Several years ago, there was a documentary done on the likes of these
guys. Some were in wheel chairs. They were asked the same question,
and ironically most said they had no regrets at all and if able would
'do it again'

One of my neighbors was an NFL DE (Tom Nomina, Denver and Miami) and
he only played 2 seasons in the show plus high school and college. He
is suffering from a multitude of injuries (knee, back etc). These guys
get the crap beat out of them.
He is a great guy tho and still helps out in the community as much as
he can. Sometimes it is a little painful to watch.

Pro football has deteriorated into a gladiator sport where deliberately
inflicting injuries on opposing players is encouraged. Even professional
boxing is a more civilized sport, because you can be penalized or even
disqualified for certain actions. I have a friend who was an all-pro
linebacker for the 'Skins. I think he played 10 seasons. I never went to
see him play because I didn't want to see him sustain a horrific injury.
Fortunately, he got out without his brains being scrambled. Pro football
is a perfect metaphor for our callous society.

wrote:

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

How about the Brady Bunch game last night. A little lopsided though.

In article af13b6ee-0a8e-4926-b74a-86fc9f7af0f9
@v14g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, says...

X ` Man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9TP...&feature=share
Amazing performance but she will probably need knee and hip surgery
before she's 50.
As my younger daughter, a cheerleader and gymnast in high school, will
attest. She goes in for her
hip surgery in about a week.
That's a rough sport.

I met an NFL alum that played in the Super Bowl and he could hardly walk
at 44 years old.

Wonder if he had any regrets...

Several years ago, there was a documentary done on the likes of these
guys. Some were in wheel chairs. They were asked the same question,
and ironically most said they had no regrets at all and if able would
'do it again'

Winning and being productive is ingrained in the human psych, at least
for most!

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

Perhaps discussions of your callous society belong in a political forum. Pro football is trying to
clean up the purposeful head butting and has imposed some decent fines and penalties therefore.

In article ,
says...

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

Harry, you've told us time and time again about your hatred of any
sports. Let it go.

In article ,
says...

X ` Man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9TP...&feature=share
Amazing performance but she will probably need knee and hip surgery
before she's 50.
As my younger daughter, a cheerleader and gymnast in high school, will
attest. She goes in for her
hip surgery in about a week.
That's a rough sport.

I met an NFL alum that played in the Super Bowl and he could hardly walk
at 44 years old.

Wonder if he had any regrets...

Several years ago, there was a documentary done on the likes of these
guys. Some were in wheel chairs. They were asked the same question,
and ironically most said they had no regrets at all and if able would
'do it again'

Winning and being productive is ingrained in the human psych, at least
for most!

Survival is the basic instinct of humans all else flows from that.

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

Did you see the Denver player who went down after trying to use his head
for a battering ram last night. He shook it off after a while but
re-injured himself later in the game.

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

My response was not political, nor is the term callous intrinsically
political.

If football wants to clean up its image, it'll take seriously the idea
of long suspensions from the sport of players who deliberately try to
injure other players, and heavy fines against team owners who tolerate
over the top roughness on the part of their players. Of course, bringing
down the level of violence will cut into the pro game's popularity and
revenues.

Football is a rough enough sport when `played in a sportsmanlike fashion.