Default Nov 21-22 Suisun Bay (Cal Delta) Stripers - but no sturgeon this trip...

I cruised downriver from Rio Visa, CA to Suisun Bay, about a 20 mile
cruise, on flat water under sunny skies - in my T-shirt! It was an
awesome November day on my beloved Delta.

The plan was to catch another sturgeon and to spend the night at
anchor on the bay. I fished from about noon 'til 2200 when I called it
a day and climbed into the V-berth for the night. I managed to catch
just a 20" striper - which I usually release - but kept this one as he
was bleeding pretty bad. I fished throughout a long, outgoing current,
well into the cold and darkness of a beautiful Suisun night, but
couldn't attract a sturgeon with the eel I was offering.

I was fishing again at 0530 on Day 2, in the fog and the cold, and
stayed faithful to to the cause 'til noon. I reeled in one more
striper a bit over 18" and kept him too, as he was hooked badly. I had
caught a striper limit although they were small and hardly equal to a
sturgeon, but my neighbor loved 'em!

I headed the 20 miles or so back upriver at noon to the ramp and on
home. It was a good trip, and the stripers gave me some success, but
I'm hoping to fill another sturgeon tag next week if the weather
cooperates!

Photos and more story - and soon a video - on my site:
http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011...e-of-stripers/

-Dale

Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 24, 11:32*am, Dale Gillespie wrote:
[...]

Photos and more story - and soon a video - on my site:http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011...ttle-for-a-cou...

-Dale

Nice looking Stripers Dale. Keep the articles coming. BTW, I like your
boat with the hard cabin. You don't see any here except for at lake
Carlyle, they're used by the Army Corps of engineers.

On Nov 24, 9:40*am, Tim wrote:

Nice looking Stripers Dale. Keep the articles coming. BTW, I like your
boat with the hard cabin. You don't see any here except for at lake
Carlyle, they're used by the Army Corps of engineers.

Thanks, Tim. I don't know if I posted here about my dementia episode
back in '07 when I sold my first C-Dory. She was set up just perfect
and I sold her thinking the launching, retrieving, projects, etc. were
getting to be too much work for this old man. (http://
fishwisher.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/fishwisher-i-is-gone-i-sold-my-baby
%E2%80%A6/)

Anyway, that was the dumbest thing I ever did! I bought and sold three
boats after that foolishness, and finally bought the present C-Dory I
now have. I'm getting this one set up to my liking as time goes by,
and I have sworn that this one won't be sold 'til my estate sale!

You're right about having a cabin - it makes for pretty comfortable
conditions when it's cold out. I have an Olympic 3 catalytic heater
aboard now, but plan on getting a vented catalytic soon as the
unvented puts too much moisture in the cabin, and even with a couple
of windows cracked a bit it will set off my CO alarm on high. This
$pending money on $tuff for the boat ju$t never, ever end$!!

-Dale

On Nov 24, 2:03*pm, Dale Gillespie wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:40*am, Tim wrote:

[...]

Lucky you!
We got a foot of heavy wet snow yesterday.... too much for the
electric snowblower to handle.
I'm sore now from all the shoveling.
Not only that... my boat & trailer haven't been put up on blocks yet
for the winter.
I have quite a pile of snow between it and it's off season resting
place at the end of the driveway.
Junior Member

asp tree grid ejasjueuekfa
__________________
asp tree grid

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:32:42 -0800 (PST), Dale Gillespie
wrote:

I cruised downriver from Rio Visa, CA to Suisun Bay, about a 20 mile
cruise, on flat water under sunny skies - in my T-shirt! It was an
awesome November day on my beloved Delta.

lucky SOB! Boat is in storage for winer...

good luck and enjoy!
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
I cruised downriver from Rio Visa, CA to Suisun Bay, about a 20 mile
cruise, on flat water under sunny skies - in my T-shirt! It was an
awesome November day on my beloved Delta.

lucky SOB! Boat is in storage for winter...

good luck and enjoy!

Glad she's safe Bob. Hope you can use her trouble-free next year.

[...]

Good yarn Dale. I think those smaller stripers are the best eating. What did you catch them with,
bait or lures?

Good yarn Dale. I think those smaller stripers are the best eating. What did you catch them with,
bait or lures?

I bait fish when sturgeon fishing - and I use only eel. Stripers
aren't too fond of it and don't hit it very often, but sometimes
they'll try to steal it. It's so tough that they never succeed with
their nips and rips.
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 26, 8:21*pm, Dale Gillespie wrote:
Good yarn Dale. I think those smaller stripers are the best eating. What did you catch them with,
bait or lures?

I bait fish when sturgeon fishing - and I use only eel. Stripers
aren't too fond of it and don't hit it very often, but sometimes
they'll try to steal it. It's so tough that they never succeed with
their nips and rips.

Odd that they'd try to steal bait they don't really like.