Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Two more Suisun Bay Sturgeon! (An actual boating thread!)

The weather and the tides seemed in alignment to produce a good
sturgeon hunt on Suisun Bay this week. So I headed to Brannan on
Wednesday April 29th for a couple of nights at Brannan State Park
aboard the motorhome. (Near Rio Vista, N. California on the California
Delta)

I tried fishing near Brannan Park on Wednesday afternoon but it was
just too windy. I didn't even try off Decker Island, my usual choice.
I tried anchoring at Light 25, but the wind kept blowing me off the
clam bed there as the anchor just wouldn't hold on those hard clams! I
gave up, headed to the berth and watched TV for the afternoon. There
was no fishing in the motorhome, either. Sad

Thursday was calmer and I headed for my honey hole on Suisun Bay -
about 25 miles downrivere. I hammered down the river and across the
bay in pretty lumpy conditions, and tried to fish while the boat
rocked and rolled. I managed one nice sturgeon on the outgo, but he
managed to release himself from the net after my leader broke! He was
probably in the mid-60" range.

I hooked into another one on the much calmer and very pleasant
incoming tide - and he measured just 42 inches. I released him to grow
a bit more. (Our slot limit is 46" to 66".)

All in all it was another grand Delta trip and some great sturgeon
action! Can't wait for the next Suisun trip!

Photos and more details on my homepage: www.FishWisher.com

Dale