Trevor

Default "New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor
Bob D.

Not much to go on. It looks like the larson may be better equipped, but
I like the interior style of the bayliner. The bayliner is newer, but
that doesn't necessarily mean squat. I guess it comes down to what you
think.

Bob Dimond

In article ,
(Trevor) wrote:

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor

Bob D.

Better yet. Look up the NADA or BUC valu and see which one is more in
line. Also in looking further into the description while I like the
Bayliner interior, I'd tend to go with the Larson if the the dealer
warranty is reasonable vs any used boat without any warranty.

Bob Dimond (again)

(Trevor) wrote:

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor

bowgus

Well ... the Larson comes with a guy with a beard and 2 little kids ... -1
point. The Larson has imo an excellent trailer ... with brakes ... I'd need
those brakes if I was trailering this size boat ... 2 points. They both are
(look to be) equally powered ... 4.3 mercruiser, alpha outdrive ... but is
that adequate power for 20 ' fiberglass boat? I myself don't think so if I
was planning on bringing along company. The Bayliner looks to have been well
looked after ... or maybe hardly used ... 1 point. Does that look like a new
lower unit? Hmmm ... 1/2 point.

If it was me and I could upgrade the trailer, I'd take (virtually that is)
the Bayliner.

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor

RGrew176

To answer your horsepower question I had a 1995 Bayliner 2052 Cuddy much like
the one in the ad. It was powered by a 4.3LX 190 HP engine and with just me in
the boat would top out a 57 mph (according to the GPS). This was before the
selective availability was turned off so I don't know if that affected the
speed readings. With 5 aboard 4 adults and 1 child it would still do 52 MPH so
it was fast.

It was not a bad boat but I moved up to a 26 footer after this boat to get back
into the cruiser catagory. The Larson looks nice too so you are the one that
has to make the choice as to which suits your needs best. A 20' boat is mainly
IMO an inland lake or river boat although I did have mine out on Lake Erie
several times but only during "nice" conditions.

Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a
weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground
easily, it is a valuable plant.

Bob D.

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Bob Dimond

P.S. I moved up to a 23. Wish I could move up to a 26 though :^)

It was not a bad boat but I moved up to a 26 footer after this boat to

get back
into the cruiser catagory. The Larson looks nice too so you are the one that
has to make the choice as to which suits your needs best. A 20' boat is mainly
IMO an inland lake or river boat although I did have mine out on Lake Erie
several times but only during "nice" conditions.

Gould 0738

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Egging a guy out into conditions beyond the capabilities of his boat is not the
mark of a serious mariner.

Might as well check the VHF marine weather forecast, as well as current
conditions. Might as well pay careful attention to reports from monitoring
stations in the weather quarter. Might as well consult a barometer and see if
it's rising or falling at your specific location.
The weather doesn't give a rip snort how tough you or I think we might be, or
pay much attention to the marketing claims of one builder vs. another.

Light displacement, low freeboard, shallow draft boats with flat transoms (not
to mention open foredecks, no bow flare, etc) are fair weather playthings. Just
because you can take one out in ridiculous conditions and avoid death, (a
percentage of the time), doesn't make the practice advisable.

It's one thing to get caught out in the snot and have to work your way to
shelter. It's another thing entirely to put out in a small boat into the teeth
of a big wind.
Bob D.

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

Also, I've said in previous post. If you are using a boat to travel any
distance and/or overnight away form home port on Lake Erie, you better
DAMN WELL have a feel for a little rough water, because sooner or later IT
WILL FIND YOU.

Gould, Lake Erie can kick up to a mess in a little as fifteen minutes. If
you an hour away from homeport then what? It's better to get some
PLANNED experience going out a little at a time but staying close to home
port to get acquainted/acclimated to harder conditions, rather than sit
tied to the dock all season or worse, caught having to travel a great
distance in bad water without any prior experience.

That's my take on it. If you want to put a derrogatory label on me by all
means.

Bob Dimond

In article ,
(Gould 0738) wrote:

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Egging a guy out into conditions beyond the capabilities of his boat is

not the
mark of a serious mariner.

Gould 0738

(Gould 0738) wrote:

Aww.. come on! A 20 foot boat out in Lake Erie only in nice conditions?
If you overnight in it you might as well take it out in a little bit of
weather 'cause you and I both know on Lake Erie you going to hit it
anyway!

Egging a guy out into conditions beyond the capabilities of his boat is

not the
mark of a serious mariner.

We agree that one needs to be prepared for snotty weather, and that it can't
always be avoided. We disagree that it is prudent to put out into conditions
that are marginal and unstable to begin with, what if they get worse?

I'm not trying to put a label on you as an individual, but I think that your
weather philosophy is not as well developed as might be. IMO. Others will, can,
and should disagree.