Dionysus Feldman

Default "New" boat comparison - Bayliner vs Larson

Bob Dimond-

Sorry, Gould, but I don't completely agree. First of all I'm not telling
people to make a crossing in gale force winds. Second a small boat can
handle quite a bit IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MINIMIZE WEATHER ON YOUR BOAT!

df-

So how does one minimize weather on a boat? Say a 24' Sedan cruiser on
Lake Michigan?

Wally--

I was wondering that, too. Maybe he uses an umbrella.

Harry K--

There's a chapter for neophytes like you in Chapman, Wally. It is called
Special Seamanship Techniques. If memory serves, it discusses a number
of ways to reduce the impact of severe weather on you and your boat when
you are at sea.

On a sailboat, for example, you might want to reef the mainsail and
your genny to depower the sail plan.

df--

Thanks Harry.

I didn't notice the entire chapter in Chapman's about reducing weather.
I bought Chapman's for the chapter on how to buy a compass.

Lake Michigan is similar to being at sea, except for the fact that it's
a lake and has very different wave characteristics. And the SeaRay 240
SRV sedan cruiser in question doesn't have much of a sail plan.

Other than that, it was really helpful advice, "Go read about it in a
general text book".
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Good question. Perhaps an optional or replacement engine? Upon closer
inspection of the pix it looks as though there is corrosion on the
gimbals housing, and the zincs don't look healthy. If the gimbal has any
corrosion, caveat emptor. That chunk of metal costs about 3500.

I looked at the outdrive and bumped the image's gamma to see shadow.

I dunno dude, the drive looks as rough as 80 grit toilet paper to me.

Have a look at it here.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks/bayliner.html

Capt. Frank

bowgus wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you suppose the bayliner web includes a pic of a
4.3 litre motor?

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
link.net...

Hi Trevor,
Basically there is no comparison. We are talking apples and oranges. The
Bayliner "Capri" is an entry level boat. Thin hull! A little short on
amenities, Spartan really, and a 4 cyl 130 hp or 135 hp (depends on
which engine is installed) coupled with a basic alpha drive.

The Larson is a high end, well built boat, with a fine reputation. It
includes a 6 cyl 190 hp, and other amenities such as dual batteries (can
save you a tow) and pump-out head. You will also find the items such as
upholstery and in dash instruments are a better quality. You will find
the Larson is a safer, much better built boat which will hold its value
much longer.

Capt Frank

Trevor wrote:

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Paul. I agree, the Cierra is a nice boat. But again, we are talking
completely different models. The Capri is Bayliner's entry level boat
whereas the Cierra is their top-of-the-line PC cruiser. I have a
dockmate that has a nice '99 model 28' Cierra. Beautiful, roomy boat,
But when placed alongside my Formula 27 PC, again, we are comparing
apples and oranges.

Once again, I re-re-re-state, Please take a USCG boating safety class.

In any event, look at my website for a closer look at the drive on the
Bayliner in question. I bumped the gamma up a bit to see more detail in
the drive, and it looks like it has corrosion damage to the lower unit.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks/bayliner.html

Capt. Frank

Paul Schilter wrote:

Capt. Frank,

I think boats need to be matched up to a captain and a body of water.
Perhaps more so to the captain. My brother in law has a 23 foot Bayliner
Ciera. I always been impressed with the usable room and all the amenities
for the price he paid. The problem is he boats on Lake St. Clair in
Michigan. This is a large shallow body of water, which on weekends has a
steady chop of 3 to 4 feet. Also he generally subscribes to two speeds,
idle and pedal to the metal. Consequently his boat has a lot of spidered
gelcoat. Now if perhaps he had a Fountain offshore racer or he was a mellow
sort of a driver or he operated on calmer waters, there wouldn't be a
problem........

Paul

Trevor wrote:

Given both in good condition (survey etc) - might I get some feedback
from this fine group on the following two boats?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/50710772.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/40244748.htm

Thanks much...

tcGb,
-trevor

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi again Trevor,

I had a closer look at the Bayliner pix, and after bumping the Gamma,
here is what I found.
Corrosion damage.

I could not get a good look at the drive on the Larson, but the pic of
the bayliner shows what to look for in a corrosion damaged drive. Pay
close attention to acne-like round spots. Those indicate serious damage.
The white stuff on the transom could be a sealer to cover up a leaking,
corrosion damaged gimbal assembly. If you are not familiar with
Mercruiser drives, fine someone that is to go shopping with you.

Trevor wrote:

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message link.net...

Hey Trevor,
One last thing. Safety first! If you are new to boating, or even if you
are not, I heartly recommend a USCG boating safety class. Remember, as
Captain, you are both legally and morally responsible for the lives of
your passengers.

You will find some info about children's & pet's life jackets, and some
basic abandon ship info on my personal website. Please feel free to make
use of the information. There are also some pictures from Chuck Gould's
voyage log.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Capt. Frank

Thanks much for the insight - FYI the Bayliner does have a 6 not a 4
but your description of the two was exactly what I was looking for.
I've been around boats for the better part of 15 years although never
owned my own. Biggest I've driven to date though was a 19' Bowrider
and was looking to move up as well as slowly moving my activities from
inland PA lakes to the Upper Chesapeake. (whole other world I'm
finding out, starting slow though).

Thanks again.

-trevor

Bob D.

No, I'm referring to my 21' Trophy. The 16' was a capri cuddy.

Should alos note that the winds were NOT 50MPH but comming from the far
shore fifty mile away...

In article , Harry Krause
wrote:

BOB wrote:

An example, I once took the Trophy in 5-7 foot rollers out of the
Detroit channel almost straight at greatly reduced speed (10-12mph)
because the winds were 50 miles out of my direction of travel.

Are you referring to your 16' Trophy?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause

Dionysus Feldman wrote:

[...]

Actually, I'm not even sure what the writer meant by the term "minimize
weather." I'm guessing the intent was to imply "minimize the impact of
heavy weather" on a boat under operation.

In that case, I'd still start with Chapman. Almost any large bookstore
will have other books on seamanship.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.