Default Boating adventure

Our handyman said he had never been to McNab's Island..... in the
outer harbour, so we took the Yukon out on Sunday. Started at the
crowded Dingle ramp, motored south out of the NorthWest Arm and then
east..changing to north east across the harbour. After rounding the
northern tip of McNab's, we ran into a fresh southerly breeze and the
swells started to build up a bit... enough to make us slow down to
avoid the thumping light aluminum boats tend to do.
Just then a family in a 1947 old wooden speedboat equiped with a new
50 hp E-Tec passed us to port.
I noticed the seas were calmed in his wake so I steered into it and
cranked the Yukon up on plane again.
I started gaining on the old speedboat right away. but he turned into
the channel between Lawler & McNab's while we continued to the very
narrow shallow channel between the mainland (Eastern Passage) and
Lawlers.
Eventually we rounded the southern tip of Lawler and turned into the
open sea area... quite a difference there with two foot seas and a
stiff breeze on our nose. I was glad when we could turn into Drake's
Gut and carefully navigate the extremely shallow channel with my
trusty Garmin mapping GPS. Most of it is so shallow, A freaky/looney
could wade across with their nose above water.
We then pulled the boat up on the sandy beach at McNab's Wreck Cove,
and followed an old gravel road up to Fort McNab..with it's million
dollar view of the outer harbour.
Returned to find the Yukon trying to float away due to a rising tide.
(good thing I set the mushroom anchor out on the beach) the battery
had died (getting old) so one pull on the cord brought the engine to
life and we motored north again to round the Ives Point section of
Mcnabs, and the pointed south to visit Maughers Beach... with it's
usuable 'Garrison Pier'. Skys were threatening rain so I handed the
tiller over to our handiman and he took us back over to the NorthWest
Arm... passing our launch site to continue up as far as the Armdale
Yacht Club... enjoying all the nice houses on shore front properties
and then returned.
All in all it was a nice boating day.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:05:39 -0700 (PDT), North Star wrote:

[...]

Nicely written and said. Sounds like you had a great time.

On 8/10/2011 10:40 AM, John H wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:05:39 -0700 (PDT), North wrote:

[...]

Indeed. As a rule, an outing in a small boat tends to be more
adventuresome than that in a big tub with air conditioning. Wayne's
adventures being an exception.

In article 60bf4fdc-ecec-41aa-b959-
,
says...

[...]

You should have posted this over at Harry's google group.

On Aug 10, 12:31*pm, iBoat_Often wrote:
[...]

You should have posted this over at Harry's google group.- Hide quoted text -

As far as I know, Harry closed his google group and upgraded to
Facebook.

In article 6d647b7e-9e61-498f-9452-
,
says...

[...]

Dead in the water, eh?

On 8/11/11 1:29 PM, North Star wrote:
On Aug 10, 12:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's correct, but I haven't done much with the new Facebook group, in
fact practically nothing. I discovered a bunch of old friends
individually and an entire group of old friends, so now I'm "in touch"
with about 150 old friends. More of my old friends have boats than there
are posters in rec.boats. Interestingly, no matter what their political
persuasion, none of them are as "assholey" as the group of righties here.

I'm just here on the edges of rec.boats, waiting for the death throes,
so I can participate in the final sendoff.

--
Don't forget to leave a bit of beef for rec.boat's right-wing
conservatrashers and ID spoofers to feed upon. The more they feed, the

In article ,
says...

On Aug 10, 12:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

Bull****, you are here because you are a narcissistic childish name
calling insulting asshole.

On Aug 10, 12:31 pm, *wrote:
[...]

"Assholy?" I would think that a top liberal arts scholar as yourself
would be more affirmed to the phrase "asshole-ish"

So much for Yale's literacy department.

New adventure Galen Hekhuis General 2 November 5th 09 11:40 PM
Off to adventure... katy ASA 54 November 1st 05 12:23 PM
FS: Adventure books Anne Whitewater 1 May 1st 04 06:53 AM
Another boating adventure today Jim and Becky General 1 September 29th 03 12:37 AM