Jim and Becky

Default Another boating adventure today

I was out running the Dyer 29 today at 4000 rpm a cloudy, damp day, to make
sure it was't overheating anymore.
By chance I had the engine cover off and suddenly noticed a gush of steam in
the bilge area. I immediatly throttled down to 800 rpm and noticed the bilge
was slowly filling with water.
My first instinct was to head to the dock about a mile away, then after
about 10 seconds stopped and saw splashing water under the right exaust
header, down by the motor mount. I shut off the engine, drained the bilge
then reached my hand down and sure enough I'd blown the water hose right
off the out side of the raw water pump.
I wondered why I hadn't double clamped then noticed the male end was only
about and inch and a half long.
I loosened the clamp, slid it on, tightned it and went on my way.
It was my first major panic and my first fix at sea.

Harry Krause

Jim and Becky wrote:

I was out running the Dyer 29 today at 4000 rpm a cloudy, damp day, to make
sure it was't overheating anymore.
By chance I had the engine cover off and suddenly noticed a gush of steam in
the bilge area. I immediatly throttled down to 800 rpm and noticed the bilge
was slowly filling with water.
My first instinct was to head to the dock about a mile away, then after
about 10 seconds stopped and saw splashing water under the right exaust
header, down by the motor mount. I shut off the engine, drained the bilge
then reached my hand down and sure enough I'd blown the water hose right
off the out side of the raw water pump.
I wondered why I hadn't double clamped then noticed the male end was only
about and inch and a half long.
I loosened the clamp, slid it on, tightned it and went on my way.
It was my first major panic and my first fix at sea.

In case you've never seen one, the Dyer 29 is one beautiful boat.
Several completely different models, in production for a long, long time.
Same company makes the famous Dyer Dink.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.