William R. Watt

Default vapour trails

does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Mike McCrea

One of the things that struck me in the couple of days after the
September 11th attacks was the lack of vapor trails in the sky.

Given the routes that commercial aircraft take it might be hard to
find someplace without vapor trails - antarctica maybe?

While I usually find vapor trails a visual blemish I do have fond
memories of paddling in a cypress swamp a few years ago when the Blue
Angles were practicing above. The dichotomy between paddling a canoe
in the swamp, something that harkens back thousands of years, and
seeing modern jet fighters streaking overhead in precision flight was
striking.

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

Timo Noko

In article , William R. Watt wrote:
does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

Helsinki Sky is most of time quite clear. I finally noticed this
myself when I saw a group of japanese tourist staring at the sky in
awe. The sky was indeed unblemished, unformly blue from horizon to
horizon, not having even a trace of regular yellowish smog so common
elsewhere. Vapour trails are uncommon, because airport is close and
there is not much traffic passing by.

Bill Tuthill

Mike McCrea wrote:

One of the things that struck me in the couple of days after the
September 11th attacks was the lack of vapor trails in the sky.

Given the routes that commercial aircraft take it might be hard to
find someplace without vapor trails - antarctica maybe?

California's north coast has very few vapor trails overhead,
and can be paddled year-round on some river or creek somewhere.
There are flights between California cities and Portland or Seattle,
but not ultra frequently, and vapor trails quickly move eastward
away from the coast.

Might be difficult finding a clear day in winter, though! ;-)

Peter H

William R. Watt wrote:

does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

There's progress for you.

Pete H

--
When eating an elephant
take one bite at a time.

Peter H

William R. Watt wrote:

does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

Timo has the basic idea: live/paddle in an area that's not on a great
circle between popular tourist/business locations.

I have the bittersweet location of having the entire north Maine woods
as my playground, yet it's on about a dozen great circles that connect
New York, Boston, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, etc. with nearly
all of Europe. From 5-9 a.m. it's Europe headed for North America while
from 7 - 10 p.m. it's North America headed for Europe. Fun with a small
telescope to pick out the insignia (insigniae?) of various aircraft -
but inimical to the basic purpose for being in the woods to begin with.

Pete H

--
When eating an elephant
take one bite at a time.

Randy Hodges

I agree with Bill Tuthill, There are places in Northern California
with few contrails. But the bottom line is that wilderness really is
a "state of mind" for me, trash and noise totally destroy wilderness
but an occasional vapor trail (or seeing a satellite at night for that
matter) doesn't really destroy it for me.

Randy
wpatrick

On 1/11/04 15:46, in article , "William R.
Watt" wrote:

does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Here on Oregon's central coast we seldom see vapor trails. We do see the U.
S. Coast Guard's patrolling helicopters with great frequency.

I am happy that the helicopters are here. The vapor trails don't bother me.
They remind me that modern technology allows me to visit wilderness around
the world in very little time for very little money relative to 50 years
ago.

Are you paddling a true bark-boat or skin-on-frame boat? If not, accept the
contrail as a sign of current times.

MLL

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Look at this way. You're paddling and they're not.
I think of them as really big honkers flying high.

res0f8mp

its u.f.o.'s ... what, you didnt know that?

Watt" wrote:

does anybody paddle where there are no vapour trails?

I was born before there were any jet aircraft. I never used to see

vapour
trails. Now I see them everywhere I go. It just doesn't seem like
wilderness when I look up and see vapour trails.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-freenet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's

returned