BoatBanter.com

-   -   Living longer? Not in US (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/134532-living-longer-not-us.html)

[email protected] July 3rd 11 01:52 AM

Living longer? Not in US

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:26:42 -0600, Canuck57
wrote:

On 02/07/2011 2:56 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:05:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 2, 2:25 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:54:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:37 am, Wayne wrote:

That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day.

And you know this because you live in the inner city? Doubtful.

I guess the NY Times is, as usual, just wrong, because it's not a
right-wing publication?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...on/04well.html

I live in a small town surrounded by small towns.It doesn't matter
what the NY Times has to say.But if you think it's "just wrong, as
usual* I won't be the judge. I don't live in the 'inner city' and
I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

Get a job.

Fortunately, I have my own business. You're incapable of getting a
job, however. Have you applied to McD's lately? You never know...

[email protected] July 3rd 11 01:53 AM

Living longer? Not in US

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:24:35 -0600, Canuck57
wrote:

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

Get a job.

Interesting that no matter how complex a problem might be, you've got a
probably unworkable, simple-minded solution.

Simple solutions often work best. You whiners need to get a job. That
simple.

Typical right-wing nut. Complex problems somehow equates to simple
solutions. Yes, you're a simpleton.

[email protected] July 3rd 11 01:56 AM

Living longer? Not in US

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:32:40 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jul 2, 3:56*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:05:50 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jul 2, 2:25 pm, wrote:

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

It all comes down to an individuals choice. You can buy hi-fiber bran
cereal just as easy as you can get sugar pops. You can get granola
snacks just as easy as you can get Twinkies. You can afford a decent
meal at home just as easy as you can order Pizza Hut or Burger King.

Just depends on what you want.

No it doesn't. Sometimes there is very little choice, as I said. You
can't make an analogy with one particular item. As I've said, if
you've got two jobs and two kids, you don't have a car, so you have to
take public transportation, it makes it kind of difficult to prepare a
healthy meal, esp. if you're short on money.

[email protected] July 3rd 11 01:57 AM

Living longer? Not in US

wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:37 am, Wayne wrote:

That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day.

And you know this because you live in the inner city? Doubtful.

I guess the NY Times is, as usual, just wrong, because it's not a
right-wing publication?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...on/04well.html

Getting a job is supposed to be easier.

$1 a day would be hard, but not $5.87 a day. In fact my under $1
rye-whole-wheat with caraway seeds loaf is putting thee aroma through
the house as I write.

Next one s going to be breakfast bread. It has cinnamon, raisins,
fruit, whole wheat flour....it is about $2.30 to make but I defy anyone
to find better.

I don't know how much more simple an egg can get, but at 20 cents or
less for an egg and so many ways too cook it...

As for fresh fruit, July, August and September we don't buy any as we
end up disposing of a lot, not sure what to do with 25 gallons of
apples, then there is the raspberries and strawberries. The later two
we freeze for the fall/winter. Lots of apple pie, strudel, apple out
the ears.

Trouble is you lazy fleabaggers never even bothered to learn how to
cook. Maybe they should put you in a cage with a placard that says
"Totally useless animal".

You're a simple-minded fool. Why don't you claim you can get a
mortgage again. That was pretty good for a quick laugh.

Tim July 3rd 11 01:58 AM

Living longer? Not in US

On Jul 2, 6:57*pm, I_am_Tosk wrote:
In article 56b2f1f0-87c1-441c-a46e-cd3cabbdfc35
@g16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com, says...

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

Most convenience stores don't have the staff to handle any variety of
fresh produce or poultry, meat, fish products. In the inner city, the
situation is even worse because there's no one to go to the large
wholesale markets or produce wholesalers willing to deliver. Most of
what the stores sell is stuff with a long shelf life.

They wouldn't anyway, Harry. that would defeat their purpose. They're
a gas station that sells beer, pizza soda and chips and a few other
things. They're not IGA or Publix.

If you want gas and beer you go to Caseys. If you want salad material
and pork chops you hit up Krogers.

Not if you live in the inner city, I have lived there, I know. You hit
up the local market weather it's Lao, Jamaican, Indian, or what have
you. Most will carry a few "American" items but you learn to live on
what they have there, or fast food around the corner..

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

True, but the Lao, Jamaican, Indian, or what have you is probably
better health wise, and not out of reason.

Tim July 3rd 11 02:04 AM

Living longer? Not in US

On Jul 2, 7:01*pm, I_am_Tosk wrote:
In article cea369fe-7534-4e8f-aa30-90a8908bf397
@a31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com, says...

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

It all comes down to an individuals choice. You can buy hi-fiber bran
cereal just as easy as you can get sugar pops. You can get granola
snacks just as easy as you can get Twinkies. You can afford a decent
meal at home just as easy as you can order *Pizza Hut or Burger King.

Just depends on what you want.

You all are seeming to forget the segment of the population who live in
the inner city, or otherwise rely on public transportation... They are
stuck with whatever the local market sells. I have a car, I can go to
stop and shop and pay nearly 4 dollars a gallon for milk, or go to BJ's
and pay 2.59.. A lot of folks don't have that choice, and trust me as
someone who feeds an athlete I can assure you even with choice of large
chains, healthy is more expensive than **** food... In the city you
don't even have the choice...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

Eh... could be Scott. But for instance a friend of mine lives in
Chicago and if need be. he can always take the city bus (which isn't
bad incidentally) and take it to a variety of malls buy groceries and
transportation back at a nominal fee.

YMMV though.

I_am_Tosk July 3rd 11 08:02 AM

Living longer? Not in US

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 09:37:14 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 04:07:00 -0700 (PDT), TopBassDog
wrote:

On Jul 2, 1:31*am, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:13:35 -0400, Wayne B

wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:58:12 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. *Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

So, if someone lives in a bad neighborhood, is a law-abiding citizen,
but is a victim of gun violence, it's that's person's fault? Or, if
all they can afford to buy is cheap food from the local, poorly
stocked store, it's their fault. Basically, that's what you're saying.

No D'Plume. It is all YOUR fault. YOUR fault for allowing the armed
person to prey on the law-abiding citizen due to economic strife or
what ever else you can blame on society to put the person into a
league of criminal activity due to desperate circumstances.

It is also YOUR fault that people can't control their poor eating
habits due to you not setting up education and health food services
for them. Not counting inviting them into your home and cooking for
them.

Poor D'Plume. You are a toad in society. You are not, and will not do
enough for the poor, helpless, and needy..

Trying to engage Ms. D'Parrot in an intelligent and reasoned debate is
an excercise in futility. Her mind is firmly made up and is not about
to be easily confused by the facts. That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

So, basically you agree with your right-wing buddy's racist nonsense.
We get it Wayne. Now all we have to do is wait for John to tell you to
stop. I have a feeling it'll be a long wait, since he's a known liar.

Uh, no he's not. All anybody needs to do is read a couple days of your
crap to know you are just making up stories as you go along.. Why the
**** do you think the G's left... ? Dumbass...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk July 3rd 11 08:02 AM

Living longer? Not in US

In article f5c2c394-7c8b-4fea-809c-3a6ee3816564
@n28g2000vbs.googlegroups.com, says...

I'll repeat what i said:

[...]

We go shopping once a month and hit three stores (generally) to get what
we need. There is no way I could make that trip on the public transport
with 20 bags to carry...;)

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

TopBassDog July 3rd 11 12:51 PM

Living longer? Not in US

wrote:

[...]

There was absolutely nothing racially driven in his posting D'Plume. I
believe it is true that you are making things up as you go.

John H[_2_] July 3rd 11 01:27 PM

Living longer? Not in US

wrote:

[...]

Wayne. Please stop calling Deplume 'D'Parrot'. Yes, I know, she
strongly resembles, with her behavior, a dimwitted African grey. But,
that is no excuse to participate in name-calling.

(There, deplume, does that make you happy?)