BoatBanter.com

-   -   Living longer? Not in US (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/134532-living-longer-not-us.html)

[email protected] July 2nd 11 09:56 PM

Living longer? Not in US

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:05:50 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jul 2, 2:25*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:54:42 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:37 am, Wayne B wrote:

That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day.

And you know this because you live in the inner city? Doubtful.

I guess the NY Times is, as usual, just wrong, because it's not a
right-wing publication?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...on/04well.html

I live in a small town surrounded by small towns.It doesn't matter
what the NY Times has to say.But if you think it's "just wrong, as
usual* I won't be the judge. I don't live in the 'inner city' and
I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

Canuck57[_9_] July 2nd 11 10:31 PM

Living longer? Not in US

wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:37 am, Wayne wrote:

That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day.

And you know this because you live in the inner city? Doubtful.

I guess the NY Times is, as usual, just wrong, because it's not a
right-wing publication?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...on/04well.html

Getting a job is supposed to be easier.

$1 a day would be hard, but not $5.87 a day. In fact my under $1
rye-whole-wheat with caraway seeds loaf is putting thee aroma through
the house as I write.

Next one s going to be breakfast bread. It has cinnamon, raisins,
fruit, whole wheat flour....it is about $2.30 to make but I defy anyone
to find better.

I don't know how much more simple an egg can get, but at 20 cents or
less for an egg and so many ways too cook it...

As for fresh fruit, July, August and September we don't buy any as we
end up disposing of a lot, not sure what to do with 25 gallons of
apples, then there is the raspberries and strawberries. The later two
we freeze for the fall/winter. Lots of apple pie, strudel, apple out
the ears.

Trouble is you lazy fleabaggers never even bothered to learn how to
cook. Maybe they should put you in a cage with a placard that says
"Totally useless animal".

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.
------

Tim July 2nd 11 10:37 PM

Living longer? Not in US

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

Most convenience stores don't have the staff to handle any variety of
fresh produce or poultry, meat, fish products. In the inner city, the
situation is even worse because there's no one to go to the large
wholesale markets or produce wholesalers willing to deliver. Most of
what the stores sell is stuff with a long shelf life.

They wouldn't anyway, Harry. that would defeat their purpose. They're
a gas station that sells beer, pizza soda and chips and a few other
things. They're not IGA or Publix.

If you want gas and beer you go to Caseys. If you want salad material
and pork chops you hit up Krogers.

Tim July 2nd 11 11:32 PM

Living longer? Not in US

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

It all comes down to an individuals choice. You can buy hi-fiber bran
cereal just as easy as you can get sugar pops. You can get granola
snacks just as easy as you can get Twinkies. You can afford a decent
meal at home just as easy as you can order Pizza Hut or Burger King.

Just depends on what you want.

Harryk July 3rd 11 12:40 AM

Living longer? Not in US

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

Get a job.

Interesting that no matter how complex a problem might be, you've got a
probably unworkable, simple-minded solution.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

I_am_Tosk July 3rd 11 12:57 AM

Living longer? Not in US

In article 56b2f1f0-87c1-441c-a46e-cd3cabbdfc35
@g16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com, says...

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

Most convenience stores don't have the staff to handle any variety of
fresh produce or poultry, meat, fish products. In the inner city, the
situation is even worse because there's no one to go to the large
wholesale markets or produce wholesalers willing to deliver. Most of
what the stores sell is stuff with a long shelf life.

They wouldn't anyway, Harry. that would defeat their purpose. They're
a gas station that sells beer, pizza soda and chips and a few other
things. They're not IGA or Publix.

If you want gas and beer you go to Caseys. If you want salad material
and pork chops you hit up Krogers.

Not if you live in the inner city, I have lived there, I know. You hit
up the local market weather it's Lao, Jamaican, Indian, or what have
you. Most will carry a few "American" items but you learn to live on
what they have there, or fast food around the corner..

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk July 3rd 11 01:01 AM

Living longer? Not in US

In article cea369fe-7534-4e8f-aa30-90a8908bf397
@a31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com, says...

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the *fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

It all comes down to an individuals choice. You can buy hi-fiber bran
cereal just as easy as you can get sugar pops. You can get granola
snacks just as easy as you can get Twinkies. You can afford a decent
meal at home just as easy as you can order Pizza Hut or Burger King.

Just depends on what you want.

You all are seeming to forget the segment of the population who live in
the inner city, or otherwise rely on public transportation... They are
stuck with whatever the local market sells. I have a car, I can go to
stop and shop and pay nearly 4 dollars a gallon for milk, or go to BJ's
and pay 2.59.. A lot of folks don't have that choice, and trust me as
someone who feeds an athlete I can assure you even with choice of large
chains, healthy is more expensive than **** food... In the city you
don't even have the choice...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk July 3rd 11 01:03 AM

Living longer? Not in US

In article , says...

On 7/2/2011 8:14 AM, TopBassDog wrote:
On Jul 2, 1:31 am, wrote:

Or, if
all they can afford to buy is cheap food from the local, poorly
stocked store, it's their fault. Basically, that's what you're saying.

So, if a store is local it has only cheap food and is poorly stocked?
Is that what you are saying?

So, cheap food is only found in poorly stocked, local stores. Is that
what you are saying?

So, Only the local stores are stocked poorly, and will only carry
cheap food, is that what you are saying?

So, cheap food is only affordable from the local, and poorly stocked
stores, is that what you are saying?

Don't try to make sense of what she is saying. And never argue with her.
That is, if you want to maintain your sanity.

well, the g's in the alphabet both gave up on her a couple weeks ago, I
am sure we will get to the T's soon enough;)

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

Canuck57[_9_] July 3rd 11 01:24 AM

Living longer? Not in US

I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day. "

I have no doubt that a small town is as you describe, but this doesn't
say anything regarding the overall problem of poor nutrition for those
who are struggling.

The "convenience" store model is for, well, convenience. It's never
going to be for healthy food.

Get a job.

Interesting that no matter how complex a problem might be, you've got a
probably unworkable, simple-minded solution.

Simple solutions often work best. You whiners need to get a job. That
simple.