Default Living longer? Not in US

Living longer? Not in US
By Derrick Z. Jackson
Globe Columnist / June 28, 2011

ONE FALSEHOOD must end in the raging debates on Medicare, Medicaid, and
health reform. In their denunciation of reform, Republicans from House
Speaker John Boehner to Tea Party presidential candidate Michele
Bachmann boast we already have the world’s best health system. Last week
Representative Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee spiced up the rhetoric by
saying reform is “destroying the greatest health care system the world’s
ever known.’’

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best. As Republicans continue to demonize what
little reform we have agreed to, life expectancy for American women is
dropping as never before in some sections of the nation.

Researchers at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health
Metrics and Evaluation this month published a county-by-county analysis
of life expectancy. From 1987 to 1997, there were 227 counties where
female life expectancy dropped. From 1997 to 2007, the number of
counties where women’s life expectancy dropped exploded to 737.

Comparisons with the rest of the developed world are more appalling. Of
the nation’s 3,147 counties, nearly two-thirds — 2,054 — fell further
behind life expectancies for women in the 10 longest-living countries.
This is despite the United States having the world’s highest per-capita
health spending.

Christopher Murray, the director of the Institute for Health Metrics and
Evaluation, said his research team expected to find regional and racial
disparities, but the overall breadth of the backward movement was
stunning. He said that several negative trends were hitting American
women all at once. “Men were big smokers in the 1950s and have cut back
since,’’ Murray said. “Women started later and we are now seeing the
damage done by this wave of women smokers. Obesity also hits women
harder than men, and this is a huge factor nationwide. With high blood
pressure, we know from previous studies that women are not being
diagnosed or treated at the same level.’’

for mo

http://tinyurl.com/3g66bov

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:58:12 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

Now see...there you go riling up the pack. For shame, for shame.

But, your statement's most definitely correct. If you took out the illegal aliens, you'd help our
statistics also.

Taking out a few thousand of the monthly shootings in our Democratic run cities would *greatly* help
our statistics.

wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that 50 million people in
this country do not have ready access to health care, and than around 80
million do not have ready access to dental care. Naw. That couldn't have
anything to do with it.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that 50 million people in
this country do not have ready access to health care, and than around 80
million do not have ready access to dental care. Naw. That couldn't have
anything to do with it.

Thought Bam Bam fixed that problem.

In article , naled24511
@mypacks.net says...

Living longer? Not in US
By Derrick Z. Jackson
Globe Columnist / June 28, 2011

What quality of life is there in being a basement dweller? I would
assume that you would want to get it over with sooner Harry.

wrote:

Living longer? Not in US
By Derrick Z. Jackson
Globe Columnist / June 28, 2011

ONE FALSEHOOD must end in the raging debates on Medicare, Medicaid, and
health reform. In their denunciation of reform, Republicans from House
Speaker John Boehner to Tea Party presidential candidate Michele
Bachmann boast we already have the world’s best health system. Last week
Representative Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee spiced up the rhetoric by
saying reform is “destroying the greatest health care system the world’s
ever known.’’

praise jesus! this is america at its best

1. the ric h are getting richer
2. the poor are gettng screwed
3. and the places where people are dying are pro life!!!

just what god wants

wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

\\

sorry sport. the south aint democratic\

On 28/06/2011 7:58 AM, Harryk wrote:

Living longer? Not in US
By Derrick Z. Jackson
Globe Columnist / June 28, 2011

Funny how we talk about health and all the nuts talk about food.

What about debt-slavery stress? Stress is the #1 killer but we spend so
little time on it. Stress works differently too, some people ear to
relieve stress.

A "In Debt We Trsut!" nation is going to get a lot of society stress.
See Greece.

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

wrote:

No one doubts we have some of the most advanced medical technologies,
research, and facilities. But if you measure systems by life expectancy,
the United States, at 37th in the world for both men and women, is not
even close to having the best.

If you leave out the 20 to 30% of the US population with unhealthy
lifestyles (drugs, alcohol, violence, etc.), the numbers look quite
different. Yes I know, it's really not fair to leave out all of those
democrats, but it is what it is.

\\

sorry sport. the south aint democratic\

For once, for the most part your right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

But if you look closely there is a pattern. More union, more up your
ass government, more dysfunctional the non-government economy, more
state taxes, more likely it is a fleabagger state.
--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

Ah! The days are getting longer.... Tim General 5 January 6th 11 02:25 AM
Message no longer available John H[_8_] General 0 January 24th 09 01:01 AM
No longer a sailor OzOne ASA 5 May 30th 08 09:14 AM
Longer skeg R.Smyth General 4 July 18th 04 09:56 PM
No Longer a Beginner! EdGordonRN ASA 129 May 24th 04 02:55 AM