Default Spring hopping

Just trying to increase the density of boating posts here.
This past Sunday, we went canoe/kayaking to the Chipola River north of
Marianna, FL. Put in at the state Park and paddled upriver to a
series of springs called "Bozell Springs Group". This is ythe perfect
thing to do on a blistering N. FL day. Get to a crystal clear spring
with icy water and put on mask and snorkel and jump in. Instant
relief from the heat.
1st spring was pretty and one could stand on the edge in waist deep
water and look down into the 25' deep water where it came from under
some rocks. A lazy water moccasin was sunning on a branch but he
didn't want to bother anyone so we ignored him.
Next spring was really spectacular with two logs across it so one
could sit on them looking down into the deepspring with such forceful
flow that one could not swim down into it.
Third one was up a tiny spring run in the woods flowing from a deep
crack in the rocks, not a lot of flow.
4th was a tiny spring on the side of the bank only a few feet deep.
I was using my family's nearly 50 yr old Grumman 18' canoe which is a
really amazing craft, lighter than any of the kayaks and big enough to
carry 4 people. Kayaks and I do not get along well cuz it is hard for
me to sit in that position for more'n a couple of minutes.I'll put up
with the harder paddling because of the ease of getting in and out
compared to a kayak and because I sit upright.
I am amazed at how much money people spend on kayaks. One guy had a
new one costing about $1000 and it only carries one person. IS it
really better than my daughters kayak that cost $300?

On Jun 8, 6:40*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Herring is outdoing you with his bull**** Obama-I'm-a-racist
posts.

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 19:45:16 -0400, I_am_Tosk
wrote:

In article 856c65df-63c2-4a7a-aec9-1b6e661a1567
,
says...

I am amazed at how much money people spend on kayaks. One guy had a
new one costing about $1000 and it only carries one person. IS it
really better than my daughters kayak that cost $300?

Probably... Any 300 dollar kayak is probably going to be 12 feet or less
and designed for beginner to novice paddlers. Jumping up to even 14 but
specifically 16-18 feet (I am sure the 1000 dollar one was longer than
12), makes a huge difference in the real usefulness of the tool...
Those 12 footers are made for ponds.

The short ones are what they use in white water so it is not exactly a
"pond" boat. Around here you may be able to find a nice kayak for
$100-$200 used and that could be a long "sea going" kayak or a short
"river" kayak, depending on what they bought and never really used.
I know people who have got them for free.
I have a couple neighbors with canoes and kayaks behind their garage,
that I can use, so I have never thought about buying one. The biggest
problem with paddling around here is forgetting about the tide. If you
get caught at the end of the river and the tide starts going out, you
have a long trip home.
There are really only a few months a year when there is ever a net
flow is upstream. Once it starts raining every afternoon in the swamp,
our river has a net flow out, even on a rising tide.

Well, I am not talking about "squirt boats" for white water. I was
talking in generalities. In general, a 300 dollar kayak is going to be
one of those 12 foot x about what, 30 inches wide plastic things and
they are not good for any distance at all, good for ponds... But I do
know there are exceptions...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

trying to find the perfect island-hopping boat kyle Boat Building 7 January 26th 10 02:38 AM
Harbor hopping up the coast of California JDP Cruising 9 June 7th 07 05:36 PM
Spring? Eisboch General 23 May 8th 07 06:06 PM
Spring? Eisboch General 30 February 27th 07 12:33 AM
Spring... Scott Vernon ASA 28 March 31st 04 12:27 AM