posted to rec.boats.building

Default trying to find the perfect island-hopping boat

hi all,

i currently own a 22ft bayliner bowrider. we live in tampa, and there
are very nice barrier islands in the gulf just 5 minutes from the boat
ramp. my wife wants to go more often. i find it difficult to have to
deal with the boat by myself. i am still quite the novice.

here are a few things that i would like to pinpoint what kind of new
boat to buy:
-shallow draft (current boat is 2.5ft, gets stuck sometimes if we
forget to continuously move the boat based on tide)
-seats 9 minimum (would prefer more)
-large deck for cooler, floats, etc.
-no carpet or upholstery to worry about -- i want fiberglass
everything for easy cleanup (current boat is carpet everywhere-- sand
is a nightmare to clean, cannot just hose the inside of the boat down)
-outboard motor, pref. 4stroke (current is an i/o, so cannot fully
trim motor up)
-has to handle a decent 2ft wave. i probably would not take it out if
it was rougher than that.

thanks for any suggestions,

kyle

On Jan 24, 12:22*pm, kyle wrote:
[...]

Build a Tolman Skiff. The 20 standard would be tight with 9 people,
however, a 21' wide body might and the 23' Jumbo def would work.
posted to rec.boats.building

might be a little out of my price range? i saw a 21 tolman widebody
for $25K. i'm looking to spend about $10k. would deck boats be
worthwhile to look into or do they not meet some of my criteria
(draft, maybe?)

On Jan 24, 3:57*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:22*pm, kyle wrote:

[...]

however, a 21' wide body might and the 23' Jumbo def would work.- Hide quoted text -

On Jan 24, 12:22*pm, kyle wrote:

[...]

Well, i did say build............
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"kyle" wrote in message
[...]

Have you taken a power squadron course? Might help with some of the details
of operating.
A deck boat would be great. I like the older ones that are more like a
pontoon boat deck on a fiberglass hull more than all the molded in
furniture.

posted to rec.boats.building

In article 14bdc30e-ce8e-4753-82fc-
,
says...

On Jan 24, 12:22*pm, kyle wrote:

[...]

I have never seen the plans for a Tolman, but I would imagine he could
build it (without power) build it for under 10K ?

Scotty

On Jan 24, 12:22 pm, kyle wrote:

[...]

Why bother? If the move was to save money in a much stronger market or the
guy just wanted to build his own, ok but this is a big time buyers market.
http://www.boattrader.com/search-res...t-Length:DESC/
1,378 power boats with power for under $10k in FL. And boat trader will only
show a fraction since they charge for advertising. I'd bet there are more
for sale than that in his county.

mmc wrote:

Why bother? If the move was to save money in a much stronger market or the
guy just wanted to build his own, ok but this is a big time buyers market.
http://www.boattrader.com/search-res...t-Length:DESC/
1,378 power boats with power for under $10k in FL. And boat trader will only
show a fraction since they charge for advertising. I'd bet there are more
for sale than that in his county.

My feel of it is that small boat demand (and prices) are up.
Specially in the trailerable sail.

But big boat demand and prices are near bottom of the toilet.

--

Richard Lamb

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour...
Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

The perfect boat Frogwatch Cruising 33 December 25th 09 09:45 PM
Perfect boat... Short Wave Sportfishing General 4 February 5th 08 01:21 PM
What is the perfect boat? [email protected] ASA 23 December 27th 07 01:45 AM
Harbor hopping up the coast of California JDP Cruising 9 June 7th 07 05:36 PM
Find a Crew or Find a Boat to go aboard. [email protected] Cruising 0 December 25th 04 09:44 PM