Bill

Default MerCruiser stalling

I just bought a brand new 24' 2003 EbbTide Deck Boat. It now has
about 10 hours on it and I am experiencing a stalling problem with the
MerCruiser Mag 350.
Moving the shift/throttle lever from neutral to forward requires a
little more force than I am used to in my other boats but it is not so
difficult that I have to apply a lot of pressure. I don't know if
that is normal or not on this engine.
The stalling problem occurs when I pull back to idle from cruising
speed. I decrease speed gradually and everything is fine. I can hear
and feel the transmission kick into neutral but when I pull the
throttle/shift lever into the neutral lposition, I hear a click in the
throttle mechanism and the engines dies. There is a bout a 2 or 3
second delay between the time that I move the lever into neutral and I
hear the click.
There is no problem restarting the engine. I have found that if I
move the throttle into neutral and then immediately forward but not
enough to put it back into gear there is no stalling.
The stalling only occurs when I throttle back from speed. There is no
stalling during slow speed maneuvering when going from
forward/idle/reverse.
I don't have an EbbTide nor a MerCruiser dealer near where I have the
boat in the water. I will have to rent a trailer and haul it
somewhere if I cannot fix it myself.

Any help here??

Thanks,

Bill
M.E.

Just a thought I'm not too sure so take the suggestion for what it's worth
but it sounds to me almost like your idle might be too slow or possibly too
rich or lean? What's your idling RPM as I'm sure other people are going to
ask....

Good luck!

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

bomar

Well, being a Mercruiser engine and a 350 Mag it would be an Alpha Gen II

".JIMinMA." wrote
Which stern drive?

"Bill" wrote in message
I just bought a brand new 24' 2003 EbbTide Deck Boat. It now has
about 10 hours on it and I am experiencing a stalling problem with the
MerCruiser Mag 350.

.JIMinMA.

"Bill" wrote in message
It's an Alpha drive.

I just bought a brand new 24' 2003 EbbTide Deck Boat. It now has
about 10 hours on it and I am experiencing a stalling problem with

the
MerCruiser Mag 350.

There isn't much you can do except making sure the shift cutout switch isn't
causing the stalling. If you have a service manual you can check the shift
cable adjustments. You really need to have the engine checked by your
selling dealer or another authorized dealer because 1. your warranty will be
protected, and 2. he will have the scan tools and other diagnostic equipment
to service your EFI engine

Lawrence James

Sounds like the cutout switch. Alphas have a switch that kills the ignition
for just a second as you try to pull it out of gear. When it is not
adjusted right the two symptoms are that it is hard to get out of gear
and/or it dies when shifting. Get a service manual, you'll want one anyway,
and it will describe the ajustment procedure.