Trainfan1

Default Mercruiser 120 and Delco EST igntion

Something is wrong with your timing marks. That engine will ping/knock like
crazy if it is bumped up / advanced the least bit too far. On an engine of
that age/hours, I would just time it by ear anyway, to get the most advance
possible with just the slightest hint of knock under heavy load
acceleration.

Did you consider the $70.00 Pertronix conversion before investing in the
EST? I have done it on the 120 with superb results.

Rob
*
*
*

"Patrick McDougal" wrote in message
I just finished installing an electronic ignition system (Delco EST) into

my
1982 Stingray with a Mercruiser 120. Following the directions I received
(and reviewing a Mercruiser service bulletin), I attempted to set the
timing. I found that setting the time as described (Advance disabled, 0
degrees BTDC) makes the boat run very rough at idle and even worse at

speed.
I can adjust the distributor to smooth it out put that puts the timing
around 16-20 BTDC (the timing indicator only goes upto 8) at idle. I am a
little concerned about running it this far from the specified timing and

its
potential effect on this fairly expensive new ignition system.

BTW, I followed the directions in the service manual for reinstalling a
disturbed distributor including turning the engine until it was just past
the intake phase and at 0 degrees BTDC. I then reinstalled the

distrubutor
with the button pointing at the #1 position.

Any suggestions is solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick McDougal