Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Matt

Default Replaced starter (now clicking)

I have a 5.7 V8 Mercruiser in my 94 Chapparl. I recently replaced the
starter with a brand new one (tested and works). Replaced all the wires
going to and from the starter and battery
(checked the negative, and works). Checked all connections. Now when i
attempt to start I hear a click noise coming somewhere near the circuit
breaker or the slave starter selenoid (ontop the engine near the
carberator). I checked the leads and the power to make sure the starter is
getting power when the key is turned. I can't figure it out for the life of
me. I can work all my other accesories, tilt trim, etc... but all i hear
when i turn the key is a single clicking noise, and no noise or clicking
from the starter...

Any suggestions... I"m getting fed up and am about to pay $$$ for the marine
to find out.

I'm not an electrician, i am 100% sure the wires from the starter are going
to the right place and i have the following for the battery switch. Battery
positive to (1) on battery switch. then one red wire "Common" on the
battery switch going to the starter and another red wire (about 8 gauge)
coming from the "Common" i beleive goes to the wire harness.