BoatBanter.com

-   -   Replaced starter (now clicking) (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1230-replaced-starter-now-clicking.html)

Matt September 20th 03 11:48 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

I have a 5.7 V8 Mercruiser in my 94 Chapparl. I recently replaced the
starter with a brand new one (tested and works). Replaced all the wires
going to and from the starter and battery
(checked the negative, and works). Checked all connections. Now when i
attempt to start I hear a click noise coming somewhere near the circuit
breaker or the slave starter selenoid (ontop the engine near the
carberator). I checked the leads and the power to make sure the starter is
getting power when the key is turned. I can't figure it out for the life of
me. I can work all my other accesories, tilt trim, etc... but all i hear
when i turn the key is a single clicking noise, and no noise or clicking
from the starter...

Any suggestions... I"m getting fed up and am about to pay $$$ for the marine
to find out.

I'm not an electrician, i am 100% sure the wires from the starter are going
to the right place and i have the following for the battery switch. Battery
positive to (1) on battery switch. then one red wire "Common" on the
battery switch going to the starter and another red wire (about 8 gauge)
coming from the "Common" i beleive goes to the wire harness.

Ed September 21st 03 01:42 AM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

Probably one of a few things...

FIRST.. make sure there are NO FUMES IN THE ENGINE ROOM... Sniff... run
blowers, sniff again... air out engine room.

-Battery could be to low to turn over engine. (Charge it or put switch
to BOTH)

-Electical contacts could be dirty. (Enough power to operate solenoid
but not starter). Try removing heavy red wires (Disconnect battery
first or turn off batt switch), remove any paint or corosion on red
cable and tighten back down... MAKE SURE YOU USE 2 WRENCHES TO HOLD
BOTTOM NUT or you cound hurt the new starter.

Remember... 12V when the starter is OFF does not guarantee clean
wiring.... Try connecting the meter to the starter solenoid (then the
starter it self) and hit the starter button... if the battery is BAD or
the connections dirty, the 12V will drop to near 0. It will drop to
about 9-11 if everything is OK, it will not drop at all if the starter
has an internal "open" (as opposed to short) or the solenoid is bad (Open)

-
-Ground wire dirty- I assume it is engine grounded and you said you
replaced that wire... again.. remove black wire and file off all paint
etc from the wire and the engine bolt. Many times it will allow enough
current to pass to run accessories but not the starter.

-Solenoid clicking but dirty. Test by shorting the two big terminals
with an old screwdriver. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH GROUND.... Wear
goggles and only do it for a second. Check for fumes again FIRST. If it
turns over now, you may have to replace the solenoid.

-Started is binding. (probably not if there is no sound coming from it)
Remove starter and see if it turns over when it is NOT in the engine
(yes... you have to ground it some how for it to work when it is not
attached to the engine) If it does work then, you may have to reinstall
starter again making sure all the washers, etc are in their proper place.

good luck and DON'T FORGET THE FUME REMOVAL AND TEST!!!!

Matt September 21st 03 09:16 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

Thanks for your help... I got the starter to work (well turn / engaged at
least). Now I'm back to my original problem before i changed the starter.
As I
turned the key the engine maybe cranked once or twice then nothing, waited
some more and same problem. (It was something like when the battery dies
and the engine won't turn over completely) But the battery was charged
fully (I also tried to jump it). I noticed that as i continued to attempt
to start the boat the cables to from the battery got extremely hot and then
one seemed to smoke a little as i was attempting to crank. I checked the
battery afterwards (being towed out of the water) and all was fine. My
mechanic told me it was the starter so i replaced it but now i'm back to
square one.

any further suggestions.. ??

thanx...

Ed September 21st 03 09:41 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

Did you try 1,2 and 3 below? I assume the solenoid is not new? Make
sure #1 and #2 are done, then get some goggles and an old screwdriver
and try #3. Since the cables are HOT, the battery terminals are
probably OK. Hot cables are a sign of over current. Over current comes
from a starter that is not turning over and that could come from dirty
contacts, OR....a seized engine.... BTW... if you don't want to buy a
second new starter... only hit the start button for a second or two and
then let it all cool while you try something different... .

Also... how did this all start? are you sure the engine is not seized
up? (Stuck piston, in gear, fluid in cylinder, etc). You said it turns
over once or twice? (That is a good sign)

Also, how are you checking the battery to make sure it is good?
Hydrometer? Did you try jumping it or using the "BOTH" switch? If you
jump it with cables.... attach one cable to the engine itself and the
other to the hot side of the solenoid. This will by pass all the wiring.

Good luck

FIRST.. make sure there are NO FUMES IN THE ENGINE ROOM... Sniff... run
blowers, sniff again... air out engine room.

1)
-Electical contacts could be dirty. (Enough power to operate solenoid
but not starter). Try removing heavy red wires (Disconnect battery
first or turn off batt switch), remove any paint or corosion on red
cable and tighten back down... MAKE SURE YOU USE 2 WRENCHES TO HOLD
BOTTOM NUT or you cound hurt the new starter.

Remember... 12V when the starter is OFF does not guarantee clean
wiring.... Try connecting the meter to the starter solenoid (then the
starter it self) and hit the starter button... if the battery is BAD or
the connections dirty, the 12V will drop to near 0. It will drop to
about 9-11 if everything is OK, it will not drop at all if the starter
has an internal "open" (as opposed to short) or the solenoid is bad (Open)

2)
-Ground wire dirty- I assume it is engine grounded and you said you
replaced that wire... again.. remove black wire and file off all paint
etc from the wire and the engine bolt. Many times it will allow enough
current to pass to run accessories but not the starter.

3)

F330 GT September 21st 03 09:58 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

As I
turned the key the engine maybe cranked once or twice then nothing, waited
some more and same problem. (It was something like when the battery dies
and the engine won't turn over completely) But the battery was charged
fully (I also tried to jump it). I noticed that as i continued to attempt
to start the boat the cables to from the battery got extremely hot and then
one seemed to smoke a little as i was attempting to crank. I checked the
battery afterwards (being towed out of the water) and all was fine. My
mechanic told me it was the starter so i replaced it but now i'm back to
square one.

any further suggestions.. ??

thanx...

Sure sounds like a bad ground connection. It could be bad cable also.The inside
of the terminal connectors can corrode in time.

And you can never rule out another bad rebuilt starter. It happens quite often,
unfortunately.

I'd try a known good cable directly from the battery negative side to a goood
tight ground on the engine block. If that works you can easily diagnose the
problem from the switch and other cables.

That's an easy place to start.

Barry

Matt September 21st 03 10:18 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

The starter and soleniod are both brand new. My mechanic said the engine is
not seized (he made a house call) becuase he could turn it and because the
turns slightly when I attempt to start it.

How it all started: The last thing i remember is i hit a small rock that
dented the prop a small amount then about 2 hours later my audio alarm went
off for overheating then ever since then is the same problem i've been
having. when ignition is turned it cranks slowly, seems like there's some
type of resistance.

My battery swithc is only ON or OFF i don't have a "both" switch. The
battery is about a year old although it isn't a deep cycle battery i haven't
had problems iwth it in the past. My mechanic recommend i get a new battery
eventually because i think he said that the voltage was dropping too low. I
hooked up a portable battery jumper and tried that. When i pulled the
starter out with my previous problem i tested it like you said. i hooked up
the negative to the starter metal and the positive to the hot selonoid it it
engaged and spun, so that is how i'm assuming teh starter is good. (is that
what you meant by attach one cable to the engive and the other to the hot
side of the selenoid?

When the engine seizes does it seize completely? caues if that's the case
then i feel confident that mine isn't seized.

Thanks again for your help....

Snafu September 21st 03 10:25 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

I also had the thought about the engine being seized when I read about the
hot starter cables after only a couple cranks of the starter. Have you
tried taking out the spark plugs and rolling the engine with the starter?
It should have no trouble spinning the engine with no compression.

Good luck!

Matt September 21st 03 10:38 PM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

I haven't tried that. Just take out each spark plug and the engine should
turn w/o resistance once i attempt to start? no familar with technique...

nk.net...

Ed September 22nd 03 02:06 AM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

Be real careful doing that.... put some papertowels to absord the gas as
it comes out and keep the blower going. I still think it is electrical
if it turns over once or twice.

Matt wrote:
I haven't tried that. Just take out each spark plug and the engine should
turn w/o resistance once i attempt to start? no familar with technique...

nk.net...

.JIMinMA. September 22nd 03 03:05 AM

Replaced starter (now clicking)

You need to do this test. Make sure the coil tower is grounded or the coil
is otherwise disabled.
Jim

Matt wrote:
I haven't tried that. Just take out each spark plug and the engine

should
turn w/o resistance once i attempt to start? no familar with

technique...

nk.net...