akheel

Default Replaced starter (now clicking)

ospam (F330 GT) wrote in
:

As I
turned the key the engine maybe cranked once or twice then nothing,
waited some more and same problem. (It was something like when the
battery dies and the engine won't turn over completely) But the
battery was charged fully (I also tried to jump it). I noticed that
as i continued to attempt to start the boat the cables to from the
battery got extremely hot and then one seemed to smoke a little as i
was attempting to crank. I checked the battery afterwards (being
towed out of the water) and all was fine. My mechanic told me it was
the starter so i replaced it but now i'm back to square one.

any further suggestions.. ??

thanx...

Sure sounds like a bad ground connection. It could be bad cable
also.The inside of the terminal connectors can corrode in time.

And you can never rule out another bad rebuilt starter. It happens
quite often, unfortunately.

I'd try a known good cable directly from the battery negative side to
a goood tight ground on the engine block. If that works you can easily
diagnose the problem from the switch and other cables.

That's an easy place to start.

Barry

I had this happen to me once. Got the starter rebuilt, and the rebuild was
bad. Wouldn't crank. After checking everything else, pulled the starter
and bench tested it. It spun fine on the bench, so I put it back on the
engine (which was a ^*%$#@ pain in the ass given the small space within
which to work) and it wouldn't crank. Took it back to the rebuild shop.
It was indeed bad. Rebuilt it again and it worked fine after that. I also
bought a rebuilt alternator from Auto Zone once for my car and it crapped
out immediately. So the moral of the story is have the starter checked
again, by a professional who can test it under load conditions, before you
tear your hair out. At the very worst you will rule out on casue.
Matt

Ed,

I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I got it running today after
trying everything. what i ended up doing was changing the spark plugs and
cleaning the distributor, eventually it turned over even better then before.

I really appreciate all the time you took to help me out...

-matt

"Ed" wrote in message ...
Be real careful doing that.... put some papertowels to absord the gas as
it comes out and keep the blower going. I still think it is electrical
if it turns over once or twice.

Matt wrote:
I haven't tried that. Just take out each spark plug and the engine

should
turn w/o resistance once i attempt to start? no familar with

technique...

"Snafu" wrote in message
nk.net...

I also had the thought about the engine being seized when I read about

the
hot starter cables after only a couple cranks of the starter. Have you
tried taking out the spark plugs and rolling the engine with the

starter?
It should have no trouble spinning the engine with no compression.

Good luck!

"Ed" wrote in message

Also... how did this all start? are you sure the engine is not seized
up? (Stuck piston, in gear, fluid in cylinder, etc). You said it

turns
over once or twice? (That is a good sign)

Wildest Dream

you should increase size of neg. cable also, it caries the same current,
that is unless its leaking somewhere.
I hope what u meant was 2/0 gauge.