Clams Canino

Default Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

Of course this is assuming the boat has a Max HP sticker on it (throw that
little book away - LOL) This also assumes you can't re-decal the outboard
for whatever HP you want it to "say". If you're motivated to both overpower
a little AND worry about liability issues, there's solutions, you just to to
be creative.

-W

"noah" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:37:18 -0400, "Trainfan1"
wrote:

Every homeowner in this group has insurance on their boat like the one
described by the original poster. There is no extra premium for

liability
coverage on most homeowner policies for outboard boats 50hp and under,

some
are 25hp & under. No disclosure or inspection required either. Rowboats
and canoes are also covered for physical damage under the personal

property
perils (usually 17 perils).

Overpowering your boat is good grounds for cancellation and/or no

coverage
from the carrier in the event of an accident. You would then likely

become
unisurable for at least 3 years... try to buy a new home, or buy an

umbrella
policy, and you will find out just how many $ not having insurance will
"save" you.

Rob

Bingo. )

...carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.

Dan Krueger

"Most" people with small "25' or less" don't even think about boat insurance? I
hope you are wrong. Boat insurance here in FL is expensive - I pay around $600
for a 2002 20' with zero claims. Most of that is for liability with a high
limit. My $7000 (new in 2000) 17' aluminum bass boat with a 40 HP OB is $160
per year.

I've never financed a boat in Florida but I would suspect that the bank would
want insurance on the collateral until the loan is paid.

As far as not losing your house or 401K, a liability settlement can still
garnish your wages with and negatively impact on your lifestyle. I guess that's
why I carry an umbrella policy. That's cheap insurance...

Dan

F330 GT wrote:
On 20 Sep 2003 20:18:37 GMT, ospam (F330 GT) wrote:

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when

had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had

boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the

finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody

had boats.

Barry

No problem if you want to risk losing your house, etc.

Maybe that's just one of the joys of living in Florida. You won't lose your
house or your 401K. It's all protected. I guess that's why OJ lives here now.

Maybe it also helps that I feel competent enough to use my boat without running
into anybody. The only insurance claim I've ever had was when a sailboat took
out the bow pulpit on my 44' Whiticar. My boat was docked at the time. His
insurance paid for it. (That was my only boat that was insured)

With the 30+ years of insurance I've saved I bet I could buy a real nice boat.

But, feel free to insure your's. I'm not knocking you. I just find it
interesting that there is so much interest in insurance by people that mostly
live up North and away from the water. Whereas, here in South Florida, most
people that have small boats (25' or less) don't even think about boat
insurance.

I should mention that a goodly percentage of drivers on our highways don't
think about insurance either. That's another story...

Barry

noah

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:59:43 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

Of course this is assuming the boat has a Max HP sticker on it (throw that
little book away - LOL) This also assumes you can't re-decal the outboard
for whatever HP you want it to "say". If you're motivated to both overpower
a little AND worry about liability issues, there's solutions, you just to to
be creative.

-W

I know it's done, Clams.
Since the guy identified himself as "John Newbie", I thought he might
want to be aware of possible consequences.

BTW- in a liability case, none of the above "fixes" are likely to save
your butt. It's *good* that clams don't have "butts". )

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
Trainfan1

Did you know that Homeowner's insurance can be forced to
pay unrelated liabilities? A few years ago, a teenager on a bicycle,
goofing around with his friends, hit me broadside while I was riding
my motorcycle. Witnesses confirmed what had happened, and the boy's
parents ' homeowner's insurance paid to repair my bike
noah

Noah, your example is actually a VERY related liability. Your case is
exactly what the homeowners Section II liability is inteded for.

Rob
*
*
*

noah

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:55:29 -0400, "Trainfan1"
wrote:

Did you know that Homeowner's insurance can be forced to
pay unrelated liabilities? A few years ago, a teenager on a bicycle,
goofing around with his friends, hit me broadside while I was riding
my motorcycle. Witnesses confirmed what had happened, and the boy's
parents ' homeowner's insurance paid to repair my bike
noah

Noah, your example is actually a VERY related liability. Your case is
exactly what the homeowners Section II liability is inteded for.

Rob

By "unrelated", I meant unrelated to the actual "house or property",
but it's obvious I'm not an insurance guy. )

I still wouldn't want my homeowner's policy cancelled over 10
horsepower or a fudged decal.

Thanks for the clarification.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
Capt. Frank Hopkins

If you hurt anyone with a 25% overpower:
1. your insurance will not pay off.
2. the coast guard will write you a ticket.

And you may:

1. tear the transom out of your boat.
2. break the bottom and keel.
3. go airborne!

I would not recommend it. Please see my website for safety information.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Clams Canino wrote:

So long as you're carefull - exceeding the HP by 25% shouldn't hurt
anything. Just be wary on your first run and take it up to WOT slowly to see
how everything reacts.

-W

"John Newbie" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual

it

says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

Clams Canino

I respectfully dissagree.
Unless someone has *cause* to smell a rat they have A) no reason to look
deeper and B) probably little expertise to discern the difference. Many
outboards share the same block over a HP range. What are they gonna do - rip
it down to see how it's ported?? LOL

And the funny thing is that the higher output versions of the same block
often give up a little low end torque for the high end HP numbers, making
then LESS likely to rip a transom off anything.

-W (could show you a Merc 115 thats pushing 150 hp)

"noah" wrote in message

BTW- in a liability case, none of the above "fixes" are likely to save
your butt. It's *good* that clams don't have "butts". )

Bill Kiene

Hi John,

I would not go over 30hp for several reasons. One is liabilities and
secondly a weight problem.

I can recommend a great motor for your 14' boat.

The Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke weighs 135# in short shaft and manual start for
~$3,000US.

It will push your boat near 30mph which is faster than you will need to go.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"John Newbie" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual

it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

F330 GT

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual
it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

If you do it, and if you are involved in any accident, your insurance
company will drop you like a hot rock.

...carry on.
noah

Does anybody keep insurance on a 14' aluminum boat? I think some of you guys
are insurance crazy....

I gotta go out now and insure my bicycle. God knows when I might hit

somebody.

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when

had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody
had boats.

Barry

Barry, I can almost understand your sarcastic attitude.
Insurance on a 14 footer seems a bit silly, until something bad
happens. Then the concern becomes one of liability, not repair. If
someone is injured, or worse, the lawyers will come out of the
woodwork. Did you know that Homeowner's insurance can be forced to
pay unrelated liabilities? A few years ago, a teenager on a bicycle,
goofing around with his friends, hit me broadside while I was riding
my motorcycle. Witnesses confirmed what had happened, and the boy's
parents ' homeowner's insurance paid to repair my bike. I didn't sue,
but I could have. They could have lost a lot.

Where I live, there is a phonebook full of lawyers that would be happy
to take everything you own, then garnish your future earnings.

Sometimes the old "ounce of prevention" is worth much more than the
pound of cure.

My reply to John was simply to point out the possibilities. It's his
decision, and I don't sell insurance.

...carry on.
noah

Noah,

I really don't disagree with you. I'm just a little tired of having to insure
everything in my life to ward off the legal vultures.

As for Homeowner's Insurance, I'm not so sure that it relates. When I put a new
engine on my boat I called them to see if it was covered for theft (in my side
yard, on a trailer). They said no and they wouldn't add it to my existing
policy. Seems lilke they don't want anything to do with boats. I really doubt
if they would be involved if I was in a n accident. No more so than if I
wrecked my car.

Have you ever heard of a Homeowner's Policy paying for a traffic accident? I
don't think so.

Barry

New owner - Question about AC power Paul General 10 August 9th 03 04:59 AM
What is the most reliable power set up for a powerboat? Nekto Poli General 1 July 31st 03 04:13 PM
Power Trim Gazunni General 2 July 31st 03 02:42 AM
Power Trim Gazunni General 0 July 30th 03 01:14 AM