John Newbie

Default Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

Clams Canino

So long as you're carefull - exceeding the HP by 25% shouldn't hurt
anything. Just be wary on your first run and take it up to WOT slowly to see
how everything reacts.

-W

"John Newbie" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual

it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

Capt. Frank Hopkins

If you hurt anyone with a 25% overpower:
1. your insurance will not pay off.
2. the coast guard will write you a ticket.

And you may:

1. tear the transom out of your boat.
2. break the bottom and keel.
3. go airborne!

I would not recommend it. Please see my website for safety information.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Clams Canino wrote:

So long as you're carefull - exceeding the HP by 25% shouldn't hurt
anything. Just be wary on your first run and take it up to WOT slowly to see
how everything reacts.

-W

"John Newbie" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual

it

says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

Ron Thornton

Capt. Frank,

What is your source for saying my insurance will not pay if I exceed 25%
of my boats HP rating?

What is the USCG's statutory authority to write a ticket for exceeding
the HP rating?

Ron

Ron Thornton

That's what I thought. Another windbag not heard from.

noah

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:50:41 GMT, "John Newbie"
wrote:

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

If you do it, and if you are involved in any accident, your insurance
company will drop you like a hot rock.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
F330 GT

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

If you do it, and if you are involved in any accident, your insurance
company will drop you like a hot rock.

...carry on.
noah

Does anybody keep insurance on a 14' aluminum boat? I think some of you guys
are insurance crazy....

I gotta go out now and insure my bicycle. God knows when I might hit somebody.

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when I
had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where everybody
had boats.

Barry
Kevin Anderson

for the measly yearly fee, i don't have to worry about theft, Hurricanes or
other idiot boaters hitting me. I am covered if I make a mistake and run it
aground.
Seems worth it to me.

Granted I wouldn't insure a 14' boat iether.

"F330 GT" wrote in message

Does anybody keep insurance on a 14' aluminum boat? I think some of you

guys
are insurance crazy....

I gotta go out now and insure my bicycle. God knows when I might hit

somebody.

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was

when I
had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody
had boats.

Barry

Harry Krause

F330 GT wrote:
On 20 Sep 2003 20:18:37 GMT, ospam (F330 GT) wrote:

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when

had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody
had boats.

Barry

No problem if you want to risk losing your house, etc.

Maybe that's just one of the joys of living in Florida. You won't lose your
house or your 401K. It's all protected. I guess that's why OJ lives here now.

Maybe it also helps that I feel competent enough to use my boat without running
into anybody. The only insurance claim I've ever had was when a sailboat took
out the bow pulpit on my 44' Whiticar. My boat was docked at the time. His
insurance paid for it. (That was my only boat that was insured)

With the 30+ years of insurance I've saved I bet I could buy a real nice boat.

But, feel free to insure your's. I'm not knocking you. I just find it
interesting that there is so much interest in insurance by people that mostly
live up North and away from the water. Whereas, here in South Florida, most
people that have small boats (25' or less) don't even think about boat
insurance.

I should mention that a goodly percentage of drivers on our highways don't
think about insurance either. That's another story...

Barry

When I lived full-time in North Florida, I was astonished by the high
percentage of cars that were on the roads without license plates.

You're right about the lack of insurance, too. That's one of the reasons
why Florida car insurance is so expensive, to make up for the losses not
paid for by irresponsible drivers without insurance. Or plates, eh?

--
* * *
email sent to

New owner - Question about AC power Paul General 10 August 9th 03 04:59 AM
What is the most reliable power set up for a powerboat? Nekto Poli General 1 July 31st 03 04:13 PM
Power Trim Gazunni General 2 July 31st 03 02:42 AM
Power Trim Gazunni General 0 July 30th 03 01:14 AM