BoatBanter.com

-   -   Motor upgrade - More Horse Power (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1226-motor-upgrade-more-horse-power.html)

John Newbie September 20th 03 05:50 PM

Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

Clams Canino September 20th 03 06:53 PM

Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

So long as you're carefull - exceeding the HP by 25% shouldn't hurt
anything. Just be wary on your first run and take it up to WOT slowly to see
how everything reacts.

-W

e.rogers.com...

noah September 20th 03 08:31 PM

Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:50:41 GMT, "John Newbie"
wrote:

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

If you do it, and if you are involved in any accident, your insurance
company will drop you like a hot rock.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.

F330 GT September 20th 03 09:18 PM

Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

If you do it, and if you are involved in any accident, your insurance
company will drop you like a hot rock.

...carry on.
noah

Does anybody keep insurance on a 14' aluminum boat? I think some of you guys
are insurance crazy....

I gotta go out now and insure my bicycle. God knows when I might hit somebody.

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when I
had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where everybody
had boats.

Barry

Kevin Anderson September 20th 03 09:29 PM

Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

for the measly yearly fee, i don't have to worry about theft, Hurricanes or
other idiot boaters hitting me. I am covered if I make a mistake and run it
aground.
Seems worth it to me.

Granted I wouldn't insure a 14' boat iether.

F330 GT September 20th 03 10:18 PM

On 20 Sep 2003 20:18:37 GMT, ospam (F330 GT) wrote:

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when

had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody
had boats.

Barry

No problem if you want to risk losing your house, etc.

Maybe that's just one of the joys of living in Florida. You won't lose your
house or your 401K. It's all protected. I guess that's why OJ lives here now.

Maybe it also helps that I feel competent enough to use my boat without running
into anybody. The only insurance claim I've ever had was when a sailboat took
out the bow pulpit on my 44' Whiticar. My boat was docked at the time. His
insurance paid for it. (That was my only boat that was insured)

With the 30+ years of insurance I've saved I bet I could buy a real nice boat.

But, feel free to insure your's. I'm not knocking you. I just find it
interesting that there is so much interest in insurance by people that mostly
live up North and away from the water. Whereas, here in South Florida, most
people that have small boats (25' or less) don't even think about boat
insurance.

I should mention that a goodly percentage of drivers on our highways don't
think about insurance either. That's another story...

Barry

Harry Krause September 20th 03 10:20 PM

F330 GT wrote:
[...]

When I lived full-time in North Florida, I was astonished by the high
percentage of cars that were on the roads without license plates.

You're right about the lack of insurance, too. That's one of the reasons
why Florida car insurance is so expensive, to make up for the losses not
paid for by irresponsible drivers without insurance. Or plates, eh?

--
* * *
email sent to

Trainfan1 September 20th 03 10:37 PM

Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

Every homeowner in this group has insurance on their boat like the one
described by the original poster. There is no extra premium for liability
coverage on most homeowner policies for outboard boats 50hp and under, some
are 25hp & under. No disclosure or inspection required either. Rowboats
and canoes are also covered for physical damage under the personal property
perils (usually 17 perils).

Overpowering your boat is good grounds for cancellation and/or no coverage
from the carrier in the event of an accident. You would then likely become
unisurable for at least 3 years... try to buy a new home, or buy an umbrella
policy, and you will find out just how many $ not having insurance will
"save" you.

Rob
*
*
*

noah September 20th 03 10:48 PM

[...]

Barry, I can almost understand your sarcastic attitude.
Insurance on a 14 footer seems a bit silly, until something bad
happens. Then the concern becomes one of liability, not repair. If
someone is injured, or worse, the lawyers will come out of the
woodwork. Did you know that Homeowner's insurance can be forced to
pay unrelated liabilities? A few years ago, a teenager on a bicycle,
goofing around with his friends, hit me broadside while I was riding
my motorcycle. Witnesses confirmed what had happened, and the boy's
parents ' homeowner's insurance paid to repair my bike. I didn't sue,
but I could have. They could have lost a lot.

Where I live, there is a phonebook full of lawyers that would be happy
to take everything you own, then garnish your future earnings.

Sometimes the old "ounce of prevention" is worth much more than the
pound of cure.

My reply to John was simply to point out the possibilities. It's his
decision, and I don't sell insurance.