Default OT; Posts & Beams, the Continuing Saga

http://tinyurl.com/4ct3fcl

Beams on the deck are attached to the 6x6 posts with galvanized carriage
bolts, washers and nuts.

To avoid splitting the vinyl sleeves, the first step is to drill a hole
in the sleeve and then drill through the sleeve and through the post.
The bolt is pushed through from the other side of the post, and then the
nut is tightened up against the washer with a wrench.

I know several posters here are "enjoying" these photos, and several
others are ****ed off by them. Thank you, all! :)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:14:01 -0500, Harryk
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4ct3fcl

Beams on the deck are attached to the 6x6 posts with galvanized carriage
bolts, washers and nuts.

To avoid splitting the vinyl sleeves, the first step is to drill a hole
in the sleeve and then drill through the sleeve and through the post.
The bolt is pushed through from the other side of the post, and then the
nut is tightened up against the washer with a wrench.

I know several posters here are "enjoying" these photos, and several
others are ****ed off by them. Thank you, all! :)

For the relatively small number of posts involved I'd have been
inclined to use stainless steel rather than galvanized, at least in
the places that are easily visible. Galvanized hardware will
eventually begin to bleed rust stains.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4ct3fcl

Beams on the deck are attached to the 6x6 posts with galvanized carriage
bolts, washers and nuts.

To avoid splitting the vinyl sleeves, the first step is to drill a hole
in the sleeve and then drill through the sleeve and through the post.
The bolt is pushed through from the other side of the post, and then the
nut is tightened up against the washer with a wrench.

I know several posters here are "enjoying" these photos, and several
others are ****ed off by them. Thank you, all! :)

For the relatively small number of posts involved I'd have been
inclined to use stainless steel rather than galvanized, at least in
the places that are easily visible. Galvanized hardware will
eventually begin to bleed rust stains.

I considered using all stainless steel fittings, including joist
hangers. The latter were quite expensive. But then I looked at some
decks in the area, older decks, where good quality galvanized fittings
were used and in only one instance did I see that dreaded bleeding rust
stain. There are two brands (that I know of) of "triple galvanized"
fittings and fastener hardware for decks, and I used one of them. I was
pretty "OCD" on this project, because I've never built anything as
large, but, as with everything, compromises had to be made. Your point,
though, is well-taken.

Choices, choices, choices. What I wanted to end up with is a deck that
would require virtually no maintenance beyond washing with a mop.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4ct3fcl

Beams on the deck are attached to the 6x6 posts with galvanized carriage
bolts, washers and nuts.

To avoid splitting the vinyl sleeves, the first step is to drill a hole
in the sleeve and then drill through the sleeve and through the post.
The bolt is pushed through from the other side of the post, and then the
nut is tightened up against the washer with a wrench.

I know several posters here are "enjoying" these photos, and several
others are ****ed off by them. Thank you, all! :)

For the relatively small number of posts involved I'd have been
inclined to use stainless steel rather than galvanized, at least in
the places that are easily visible. Galvanized hardware will
eventually begin to bleed rust stains.

Isn't there some sort of reaction between stainless steel and pressure treated lumber?

--
Ziggy®

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I seem to have been misinformed. Stainless is OK with PT lumber.

--
Ziggy®

In article ,
says...

http://tinyurl.com/4ct3fcl

Beams on the deck are attached to the 6x6 posts with galvanized carriage
bolts, washers and nuts.

To avoid splitting the vinyl sleeves, the first step is to drill a hole
in the sleeve and then drill through the sleeve and through the post.
The bolt is pushed through from the other side of the post, and then the
nut is tightened up against the washer with a wrench.

I know several posters here are "enjoying" these photos, and several
others are ****ed off by them. Thank you, all! :)

Wow, truly amazing. That contractor you hired did a fairly nice job.