Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default The Continuing Saga of Repairing Cruis'n Rulz!

As you will recall, In our last episode, I was preparing to install the
new starter in my Merc. 5.0. I did a compression test with the old
starter in place, 150 all around. After sitting 2 weeks, the new starter
is in; I cranked it with the plugs out (no manifolds installed yet) And
it spun 3 revolutions with a *Clack* every 360°. I thought in this brief
time that possibly a tooth was sheared on the flywheel ring, but after 3
revolutions the engine locked and would not turn. ****. I was thinking
maybe a socket I had holding the Qjet choke open had somehow fallen into
the intake manifold and wedged an intake valve open. Ok. I put a chain
wrench on the balancer and found I could rotate the engine backwards,
but would lock at the same point forwards. I pulled the valve covers,
expecting to find an offending intake valve hung open, with slop in the
rocker arm as a result. Found it, alright, but an exhaust valve, not
intake. Feeling up the #4 exhaust port with my finger, I can feel the
broken end of the exhaust valve stem. The valve head is loose in the
combustion chamber, preventing the piston from reaching TDC. DOUBLE
****. In the 2 weeks since the compression test, the #4 exhaust valve
seized in the guide, and on cranking, because the valve is at an angle
with the piston, was broken off. Now I get to pull the heads......
Oh well, the engine is 18 years old, has 495 Hrs on it, and with all
that down time, a seized valve is not unusual.
JR

JR Said:
So, after I got home from July 4th cruising, I flushed the engine on

the muffs. Shut it off and went to restart about 30 min later.
Hydrolock. Pulled the plugs, and sure enough-clear water out of several
cyls. The starter sounds like a garbage truck now also. ****.
I should consider myself lucky-this is only the second set of manifolds
in 18 years, 95% salt water, due to careful and thorough flushing.
I found the best deal on manifold/riser kit he (free shipping)

http://stores.ebay.com/Doug-Russell-Marine

and cheap price on NEW Marine starter for Mercruiser 5.0 he

http://stores.ebay.com/Rareelectrical

and, lowest cost on exhaust boots (I'm doing the whole thing here...)

http://www.go2marine.com/

No affiliations...

I pulled the manifolds last night, and squirted about 30cc ATF into the
cylinders and cranked it through. Because I applied anti-seize compound
to the manifold and riser bolts on the last job (1996) all the bolts
came right out. In fact, after loosening, they could be screwed out by
fingers. I don't have any such hope for the starter bolts-they're
original and I'm dreading pulling the starter tonight.

JR

JR Said:
What a BITCH. I had to custom make a special tool to get the starter
bolts loose-will post pics soon so youse manly guys that get your
hands dirty can benifit from it. Absolutely no way I could get them to
budge with just a wrench. I'm really amazed they came out at all.
Prolly a good thing I'm doing it now; Cruis;n Rulz! is 18 years old
and unlikely I could get the starter out down the road at all. It
would really suck to have to pull the motor to replace a starter...
Anyway, waiting for all my good deals to arrive, and to get back on
the water.
JR
HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth