Default Mac26 as a cruising boat

I met a guy in Marsh Harbor who had a Mac26 he had brought over from
the US. It had a 90 hp outboard and was seriously pimped out to be
very comfy for himself. I have extolled the concept of this motor/
sailboat by claiming that it is probably safer than a conventional
sailboat because it can get to safety faster than any other sailboat
and because it can be beached in shallow water for safety but most
conventional sailors disagree.
However, this guy seems to prove my contention. It took me 13 hours
on my 28' S2-sailboat motor-sailing to cross from West Palm to West
End whereas it took him only 4 hours motoring. Getting across this
body of water quickly maximizes safety. I believe sailors need to re-
orient their thinking about this boat. It is not a sailboat that can
motor quickly but a motorboat with sail backup.
Furthermore, the boat seems the ideal boat for the Bahamas with its
extreme shoal draft and ability to get places quickly and if the motor
fails, one can simply sail back to harbor. In the USA, it avoids the
need to sail ones heavy sailboat long distances to cruise because it
can be easily trailered.
I'd like to try chartering one of these somewhere to try it out.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:59:30 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article a74c6712-fae3-4822-9e38-2b4b8e71b572
, says...

[...]

Wow, that is a great looking boat... I love the fact that you can have
all that with a 50 horse outboard, and the full foam flotation is a plus
for your kind of boating. I don't know if you would really want to said
it swamped, but at least you could tow it in with the dinghy

With all due respect, apparently neither of you guys have ever been
caught offshore in a 50 to 60 kt squall line. Seas go from dead flat
to 12 ft and breaking in no time at all. Every year fast center
consoles (and bigger) from the east coast of Florida get caught in
conditions like that, and a fair number of them are capsized and lost.
Positive flotation will not save you when the waves literally pick
you up and throw you back down in the trough, rolling the boat over,
or pitch polling it end over end.

The Mac26 is a fine boat for protected waters, crossing the Gulf
Stream, not so much.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:22:39 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Looks like that boat's made to take the seas!

http://www.macgregor26.com/index/gale_2_min.htm

wrote:

[...]

Whoops. Guess I shouldn't have posted what I did.

wrote:

[...]

Bull****. It's a light water/light winds boat at best.

mmc mmc is offline

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

======

What if the weather kicks up and the motor dies while crossing? Without the
motor it's just another lightweight, poor sailing, under-canvassed weekender
and not built to take out in anything except good weather.
Unless you're abandoning ship, good ground tackle is preferable to beaching
in bad weather. Repeatedly being slammed into the sand would be a horrible
way to go for man, beast or boat. And a heavier boat won't beat itself and
it's occupants to death at sea or at anchor.
Remember the "Enduro" motorcycles? Dirt and street and sucked at both?
They're probably great family weekend boats, which is what they are designed
for. I would never take one beyond the horizon.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:33:48 -0500, John H
wrote:

Looks like that boat's made to take the seas!

http://www.macgregor26.com/index/gale_2_min.htm

Not really. Take another look at that video and notice that the seas
are large but not breaking. That's because they are mature deep
water waves that have reached full height for the wind conditions, and
are not being impacted by current or shoaling conditions. That's the
difference between windy but relatively benign conditions, and what
you would encounter in a rapid onset Gulf Stream squall. I have flown
over the Gulf Stream on days when the wind is blowing hard from the
north against the current. You can see the waves breaking from
30,000 feet in the air, and that's about as close as you'd want to
get.

wrote:

Looks like that boat's made to take the seas!

http://www.macgregor26.com/index/gale_2_min.htm

Not really. * Take another look at that video and notice that the seas
are large but not breaking. * That's because they are mature deep
water waves that have reached full height for the wind conditions, and
are not being impacted by current or shoaling conditions. *That's the
difference between windy but relatively benign conditions, and what
you would encounter in a rapid onset Gulf Stream squall. *I have flown
over the Gulf Stream on days when the wind is blowing hard from the
north against the current. * You can see the waves breaking from
30,000 feet in the air, and that's about as close as you'd want to
get.

When I say beaching, I mean beaching in a place with protected shallow
water where a deep draft boat cannot go.
Furthermore, even with no motor, this boat is safer than most other
powerboats without a motor as it has ballast so will not roll over as
easily. It also has a centerboard to help it track true. With its
sails as backup, it is far safer in the Gulf Stream than most
powerboats without sail backup. Although the rigging is light, reefed
sails can be put up. Of course nobody would take such a boat across
in 30 kt winds but she would do well in such anyway.

wrote:

[...]

During the summer (thunderstorm) months you can find yourself in 40 to
60 knot winds on the Gulf Stream with almost no warning. Experienced
east coast boaters like to head east before sunrise to minimize their
chances of being caught by a storm during the crossing.

In order to beach a Mac 26 I believe you need to punp out the water
ballast. It is very unstable without ballast and has been known to
capsize with no sails up at all. No thanks.

wrote:

[...]

OK, OK! My wife didn't like the idea of me having another boat anyway.

Damn.