Parallax

Default Seaworthiness of Mac26

Granted the Mac26 is not an offshore boat, but what can she do? One
poster said he would not take one out of sight of land so lets
consider this.
First, most boat accidents happen within sight of land because thats
where the boats hit stuff, like land.
So, out of sight of land, aside from an occasional collision, weather
is the major hazard so let's examine the possible hazards.

Hurricanes: Any Mac owner who finds himself in a hurricane is the
victim of his own stupidity. I cannot envision any possible excuse to
find oneself in such a situation.

Unexpected storm, like the Storm of the Century: Actually, most
mariners should have expected it. I was due to leave that day for a
sailing trip but two days before had noticed an odd low in the Western
Gulf. CG posted small craft warnings. I put off my trip. Within 24
hours there were local gale warnings. I know of no small craft
operator on any reasonable (for a Mac26) passage of say 48 hours that
got caught in this and injured who can honestly say they had no
warning.

NorEaster: I have no experience with them.

Pacific storms: No experience

Thunderstorms and line squalls: These are legit hazards because they
are fairly unpredictable and isolated. Winds can go from 0 to 70 kts
to 0 in an hour and be dead calm 5 miles away. All Florida sailors
will eventually find themselves in one and probably several.
On my S2, my technique is: First recognize them by hearing thunder
(duh), then look to see if I can go around it. This is sometimes
possible because they are local but since a sailboat moves slow and
sometimes its (the storm) direction of movement is uncertain, this
only works about 30% of the time. make sure anchor is ready for
possible deployment if near shallow water. Look for the slight
coolness of the wind that signals it is near and approaching. TAKE
DOWN SAILS NOW if you feel it. Evaluate searoom and try to get into
deeper water with engine. As wind gets strong, try to power into it
to keep bow pointed toward it. It I cannot keep bow pointed toward
the wind, execute a very fast turn and run with wind on the stern
quarter. Try to stay out of shallow water. If necessary, deploy
anchor.
A Mac26 can do all of this and better since it has more power and
speed. If the storms direction can be ascertained, it can easily
power around it. Since most such storms occur near the ocean/land
interface, safe harbor is probably close for powering too at 17 kts.
I have noticed that such isolated storms do not greatly enhance the
wave height because they are so local and short lived. Storms
imbedded in a front can be associated with big waves but these are
obvious on a weather map and avoided. This means that a Mac26 can
power away from such a storm at speeds greatly in excess of the speed
of a REAL sailboat.

Another point about going out of sight of land: Why go out there if
you can avoid it? After a few minutes, all the waves look the same
(ok, so theres an occasional crazy one). The interesting stuff is
near land. All teh times I have gone out of sight of land was because
it was the fastest way to get somewhere or the only way for my 4'
draft. With the Mac26 very shallow draft, it is not limited in this
way so should spend far less time on such unnecessary passages.
DSK

rhys wrote:
...Nobody blames PortaBote owners for getting the sailing rig option, so
I find the criticisms of the Mac26X *as a sailing vessel* a little
pointless,

AFAIK nobody has *criticised* the sailing performance of the Mac 26X,
only pointed out that it is not at all what it is often claimed to be.

If you saw Porta-Bote advertising that their sailing rig option will
beat Tornado Cats and is by far the most aerodynamically advanced vessel
yet produced by Western civilization, you might shake your head a bit.

Is the Macgregor 26X a badly built boat? Separate issue entirely. Is
it the ******* offspring of a powerboat and a dinghy? Oh, probably,
but so what? Many people like that sort of thing, and as long as they
understand COLREGs, it's irrelevant to my sailing experience.

Agreed. But would you let your brother buy one?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jeff Morris

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Granted the Mac26 is not an offshore boat, but what can she do? One
poster said he would not take one out of sight of land so lets
consider this.
First, most boat accidents happen within sight of land because thats
where the boats hit stuff, like land.
So, out of sight of land, aside from an occasional collision, weather
is the major hazard so let's examine the possible hazards.

Hurricanes: Any Mac owner who finds himself in a hurricane is the
victim of his own stupidity. I cannot envision any possible excuse to
find oneself in such a situation.

This could be said of any sailor. However, Hurricane Bob ran up the coast so
fast that New England had about 24 hours notice. What would a Mac owner do if
he were more than 24 hours from his trailer, other than call his insurance
agent?

Unexpected storm, like the Storm of the Century: Actually, most
mariners should have expected it. I was due to leave that day for a
sailing trip but two days before had noticed an odd low in the Western
Gulf. CG posted small craft warnings. I put off my trip. Within 24
hours there were local gale warnings. I know of no small craft
operator on any reasonable (for a Mac26) passage of say 48 hours that
got caught in this and injured who can honestly say they had no
warning.

NorEaster: I have no experience with them.

Pacific storms: No experience

Thunderstorms and line squalls: These are legit hazards because they
are fairly unpredictable and isolated.

snip

A Mac26 can do all of this and better since it has more power and
speed. If the storms direction can be ascertained, it can easily
power around it. Since most such storms occur near the ocean/land
interface, safe harbor is probably close for powering too at 17 kts.

Why does everyone use "17 knots" as the speed of a Mac 26? The high speeds
mentioned on the web site were only achieved with a stripped down boat, no
ballast, no mast, rigging or sail, limited fuel, no water and limited safety
gear. One very light skipper. If you read the boards, you'll find that most
mac owners report speeds of around 12 mph or less for a loaded boat, worse if
heading into a chop. And they report it can get very sloppy. While that is
still somewhat faster than most "normal" sailboats, its really only a little
faster; I've been on a number of boats that can power all day at over 7 knots,
or 8 mph.

I have noticed that such isolated storms do not greatly enhance the
wave height because they are so local and short lived. Storms
imbedded in a front can be associated with big waves but these are
obvious on a weather map and avoided. This means that a Mac26 can
power away from such a storm at speeds greatly in excess of the speed
of a REAL sailboat.

You're assuming that that boat was in very protected water to start. What if it
was in the ocean and the was 3-4 foot chop to start? In this case, the mac
won't be that much faster than a real sailboat.

You seem to have ignored a large category of weather: What about days that are
simply windy and rough? Every year I usually find myself in 30 to 35 knots,
seas 4-6 feet. Usually it is outside of the range predicted, though not
completely unexpected. How well does the Mac handle this? Can it make headway
to windward? It certainly can't do 17 knots, it might not be able to do 7
knots. And what would happen of the engine wouldn't start?

Another point about going out of sight of land: Why go out there if
you can avoid it? After a few minutes, all the waves look the same
(ok, so theres an occasional crazy one). The interesting stuff is
near land.

This all depends on where you are - in New England one often goes 3 or 4 miles
off just to go down the coast to the next harbor. With a light fog that's out
of sight of land.

All teh times I have gone out of sight of land was because
it was the fastest way to get somewhere or the only way for my 4'
draft. With the Mac26 very shallow draft, it is not limited in this
way so should spend far less time on such unnecessary passages.

Many of the truly great sails I've had were in condition where I would not want
to take a Mac 26x. If this doesn't appeal to you, if you only seek the
pleasures of a completely protected bay, then maybe a mac is the right boat for
you.

Quest0029

If this doesn't appeal to you, if you only seek the
pleasures of a completely protected bay, then maybe a mac is the right boat for
you.

and you're not a MAN who sails a manly
REAL sailboat in manly deep waters under
the threat of mansize weather conditions.

JAXAshby

On Long Island Sound, I have seen my WSI pegged at 60 knots plus strong,
sustained gusts for upwards of 15 minutes at a time, when a serious
thunderstorm goes over the Connecticut shore (reports of 90 knot winds happen
every few years). I have seen 50+ knots for more than 60 minutes out of 90
minutes under such conditions.

no way in hell would I wish to be out there in a boat with the weak rigging of
a mac 26, as the rigging was presented on a mac on display in the water at the
Annapolis boat show.

[...]

JAXAshby

Nobody blames PortaBote owners for getting the sailing rig option

I own a Porta-Bote and am happy with it. I do not own the sailing rig for it,
have never met anyone who did or does own the sailing rig for it, and have
heard stories of stories or stories that there exists no satisfied owner of the
sailing rig for the bote.
Jeff Morris

Do you have a point? Parallax claims there's nothing of interest "out of sight
of land" and with a shallow draft boat, no reason to go there. I'm just
agreeing that if he sees it that way, the Mac might be the right boat for him.
Frankly, half of my sailing life was been spent in very protected waters, so I
understand the appeal of inland sailing. But I've found I also enjoy coastal
cruising in environments that would be beyond the capabilities of a Mac.

Sorry if that logic offends you.

"Quest0029" wrote in message
If this doesn't appeal to you, if you only seek the
pleasures of a completely protected bay, then maybe a mac is the right boat

for
you.

and you're not a MAN who sails a manly
REAL sailboat in manly deep waters under
the threat of mansize weather conditions.

Parallax

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Jeff:

I use 17 kts because that is reported by several ppl on Mac26 cruising
sites.

As far as what a Mac26 owner would do if a Hurricane was approaching
and he couldnt get his trailer to his boat, the question makes no
sense.
When she is not being sailed, she IS on the trailer.
However, in the unlikely case of her not being on the trailer but in a
slip, he does what all other sailboat owners do, checks to make sure
his insurance policy is paid up, then considers if he can secure her
better.
During hurricane season, I leave my S2 in a state of hurricane
readiness (summer is just too hot to sail all the time, I sail in
cooler weather).
For the occasional 35 kt "storm", I am certain a Mac26 can handle it.
One web site talks about sailing a lot in such weather in a Mac26,
dunno if he really does.
Here, if I see fog, I get very cautious, even light fog. I been lost
in fog enough to know how fast light fog becomes pea soup. Generally,
foggy conditions are also very light wind conditions so it is not any
more a hazard to the Mac26 than to any other boat.
I am also not assuming "very protected water" but the open Gulf of
Mexico. The NE gulf is VERY shallow and gets a nasty chop. Still, a
50 hp motor sure beats my old 6.5 hp Yanmar 1GM on my S2 (replaced by
a 13 hp 2GM).
rhys

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:02:41 -0400, DSK wrote:

AFAIK nobody has *criticised* the sailing performance of the Mac 26X,
only pointed out that it is not at all what it is often claimed to be.

Well, even looking at grainy pictures of it I can tell it will point
like a barge. "Can sail" and "can sail well" are relative.

If you saw Porta-Bote advertising that their sailing rig option will
beat Tornado Cats and is by far the most aerodynamically advanced vessel
yet produced by Western civilization, you might shake your head a bit.

Like a junkie with Parkinson's, yes.

Is the Macgregor 26X a badly built boat? Separate issue entirely. Is
it the ******* offspring of a powerboat and a dinghy? Oh, probably,
but so what? Many people like that sort of thing, and as long as they
understand COLREGs, it's irrelevant to my sailing experience.

Agreed. But would you let your brother buy one?

Sure, if he was picking it over a powerboat...but I'd take the thing
under tow if the wind picked up. G

Seriously, they look like nothing I'd enjoy, but one more sailboat,
even a Macgregor, instead of one more jetski, has *got* to be the
lesser of two evils, wouldn't you agree?

I try not to sneer at trimarans and cats, either, because they provide
a *different*, but equally valid and perfectly enjoyable alternative
to my preferred monohull. Where I tend to get snotty is on the issue
of seaworthiness: if you accept that a cat with a big flat sliding
glass door on its bridge is going to have issues in a following sea,
then you understand my objections are not to catamarans, but to
catamarans that want to be patio sunrooms. South Africa builds some
apparently incredibly tough blue-water cats (they'd have to, given the
conditions there), and while I'd personally have to learn to sail 'em,
I'd let the brother buy one.

Over a Macgregor, even.

R.