Default Mac26 as a cruising boat

"John H" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 05:43:24 -0500, Wayne.B

wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:38:57 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Jan 14, 10:45 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:33:48 -0500, John H
wrote:

Looks like that boat's made to take the seas!

http://www.macgregor26.com/index/gale_2_min.htm

Not really. Take another look at that video and notice that the seas
are large but not breaking. That's because they are mature deep
water waves that have reached full height for the wind conditions, and
are not being impacted by current or shoaling conditions. That's the
difference between windy but relatively benign conditions, and what
you would encounter in a rapid onset Gulf Stream squall. I have flown
over the Gulf Stream on days when the wind is blowing hard from the
north against the current. You can see the waves breaking from
30,000 feet in the air, and that's about as close as you'd want to
get.

When I say beaching, I mean beaching in a place with protected shallow
water where a deep draft boat cannot go.
Furthermore, even with no motor, this boat is safer than most other
powerboats without a motor as it has ballast so will not roll over as
easily. It also has a centerboard to help it track true. With its
sails as backup, it is far safer in the Gulf Stream than most
powerboats without sail backup. Although the rigging is light, reefed
sails can be put up. Of course nobody would take such a boat across
in 30 kt winds but she would do well in such anyway.

During the summer (thunderstorm) months you can find yourself in 40 to
60 knot winds on the Gulf Stream with almost no warning. Experienced
east coast boaters like to head east before sunrise to minimize their
chances of being caught by a storm during the crossing.

In order to beach a Mac 26 I believe you need to punp out the water
ballast. It is very unstable without ballast and has been known to
capsize with no sails up at all. No thanks.

OK, OK! My wife didn't like the idea of me having another boat anyway.

Damn.

Stay the hell away from sailboats. You are no sailor.

wrote:

[...]

And I suppose you know all about sailboats. Have you ever owned one?

--
Ziggy®
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'm too big of a wimp.

That doesn't sound like much fun to me. but it DOES sound exciting!

wrote:

[...]

This is from Captain Don of the SS Yukon with the mighty 25HP tiller
steer motor!

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:33:35 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

During the summer (thunderstorm) months you can find yourself in 40 to
60 knot winds on the Gulf Stream with almost no warning. *Experienced
east coast boaters like to head east before sunrise to minimize their
chances of being caught by a storm during the crossing. *

I'm too big of a wimp.

That doesn't sound like much fun to me. but it DOES sound exciting!

Experienced boaters in south Florida have a great deal of respect for
the Gulf Stream and will not attempt a crossing unless conditions are
right, even in 50 or 60 footers. Some significant number of 20 to 30
footers get capsized every year either from poor weather planning or
because they thought they could out run a storm and couldn't. Others
get in trouble re-entering inlets that turn rough during the day as
the tide changes.

There are a couple of other Gulf Stream issues that catch people. One
is something that I'd label the "twin engine problem". A boat with
twin engines sets out from either Florida or the Bahamas expecting to
run on plane the entire distance and with an adequate amount of
reserve fuel. Then one of the engines fails for some reason, and now
the boat is no longer running on plane because it lacks power. Fuel
economy decreases drastically because the boat is now plowing water,
and the boat eventually runs out of gas. If you're on the way back
to Florida when this happens, and within 25 miles, SeaTow will come
out to get you at no charge if you're a member but it's going to take
a while. Over 25 miles offshore the towing charges become
astronomical.

Another variation on the "twin engine problem" is the what I call the
"buddy boat syndrome" or "safety in numbers wishful thinking". One of
the boats develops an engine problem and the buddy boat starts to tow
it. Everything is OK if this happens near the beginning or end of the
crossing, but in the middle the buddy boat usually lacks sufficient
fuel capacity for both of them to make it home, again because they are
no longer able to run on plane. This now turns into a double rescue.

mmc mmc is offline

wrote:

[...]

========

People do cross in bad conditions. I think they're just trying to help rid
the pool of those unwanted stupid genes.
A couple weeks of crap weather and you might get a "me or the boat" price on
a nice vessel....

wrote:

[...]

having sails as a backup is great.

On 1/16/11 1:22 PM, I am Tosk wrote:
In articlebc71c4d7-3609-4cdc-b702-4e19e2186358@
29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com, says...

wrote:

[...]

I agree... I think Wayne is going a bit extreme thinking that because
someone has sails as a backup, they are going to try a crossing in bad
weather. I think all here know it's a huge tradeoff, but I have seen
similar sailing in the CT River in the Summer...

Are there four to five foot breaking waves in the summer on the
Connecticut River?

m...

wrote:

[...]

Probably looks that way when you sit as 'low in the saddle' as Scotty.

"YukonBound" wrote in message ...

m...

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't it be funny if Scotty turned out to be taller than you?

--
Ziggy®