noah

Default Virus Alert- email from rec.boats

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:54:07 -0700, "RG" wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
...just wanted to give everyone a "heads up".

I recently received a few emails from rec.boats users concerning my
FAQ questions, and also concerning "scareing" a 20hp Merc to put out
30hp.

Almost immediately, my rec.boats email addy started getting thumped
with virus attachments. I haven't sent the virus to McAfee yet, but
it is probably one of the current email worms or bugs. I update every
couple of days, use a firewall, and also use an email quarantine
utility, so it didn't get through to my system.

Most of the virus email subjects repute to be a "Microsoft Security
Update", or related MS Upgrade. A few subjects referred to
"Undeliverable Mail".

Be careful. Don't click on *any* executable (in this case it's 104Kb)
unless you know what it is.

Anyone who has emailed me recently should do a thorough virus scan,
with an updated protection program. It's a pretty good bet that one
of you has the virus, and it put me on the sucker list.

As you were... )
noah

There's definitely something going around, but I don't think it's directly
related to the newsgroup. My email address as it appears to Usenet is
completely munged up, and yet I've received three or four infected emails
today , just as you've described. I don't know diddley about how these
things work, but I do know that the one's I've received couldn't be related
to my rec.boats participation because of the spoofed address. Or at least I
can't see the connection if there is one. But thanks for the heads up
anyway.

RG- it's not just this newsgroup. The way these viruses are now
working is that if anyone, anywhere, that communicates with you, gets
infected, or if you post "naked" anywhere, the virus will harvest your
address.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. There are also email engines that
send spam, and viruses, to every conceivable email address, in the
hopes that they get a few "good ones". This also sucks.

When I was growing up, we never had to lock our house, and we left the
keys in the car all the time. Nowdays, I chain and padlock my
lawnmower, and keep a 12 gauge beside my bed. The world turns.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Virus Alert- email from rec.boats ===Soultion!===

I received a great big nasty bunch myself. I was able to filter them out
by using email filters to allow only persons in my address book to send
mail.

Someone my contact me at my alternate mail box.

remove /antivirus/ for a valid address

Capt Frank Hopkins

http://www.home./antivirus/earthlink.net/~aartworks

noah wrote:
[...]

Harry Krause

Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

I received a great big nasty bunch myself. I was able to filter them out
by using email filters to allow only persons in my address book to send
mail.

Someone my contact me at my alternate mail box.

remove /antivirus/ for a valid address

Capt Frank Hopkins

http://www.home./antivirus/earthlink.net/~aartworks

If you use a SPAM filter, all your incoming email goes to the filter
before it hits your inbox. You can look at what's coming in and decide
whether to download it or dump it. And if you combine that SPAM filter
with a good virus detector, even if you decide to accept something from
the SPAM catcher, the virus detector will isolate it.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ noah General 11 September 29th 03 02:38 AM
Rec.boats members and lurkers Butch Ammon General 18 August 30th 03 11:41 PM