Doug Kanter

Default Virus Alert- email from rec.boats

For those of you who use Outlook Express, it has a really stupid option, in
Tools Options Send:

"Automatically put people I reply to in my address book"

I believe this option is turned ON by default when Outlook Express is
installed. In any case, it should always be shut OFF. Otherwise, your
address book becomes a prime path for the spread of viruses which send
themselves to everyone you know.

"noah" wrote in message
...just wanted to give everyone a "heads up".

I recently received a few emails from rec.boats users concerning my
FAQ questions, and also concerning "scareing" a 20hp Merc to put out
30hp.

Almost immediately, my rec.boats email addy started getting thumped
with virus attachments. I haven't sent the virus to McAfee yet, but
it is probably one of the current email worms or bugs. I update every
couple of days, use a firewall, and also use an email quarantine
utility, so it didn't get through to my system.

Most of the virus email subjects repute to be a "Microsoft Security
Update", or related MS Upgrade. A few subjects referred to
"Undeliverable Mail".

Be careful. Don't click on *any* executable (in this case it's 104Kb)
unless you know what it is.

Anyone who has emailed me recently should do a thorough virus scan,
with an updated protection program. It's a pretty good bet that one
of you has the virus, and it put me on the sucker list.

As you were... )
noah

Doug Kanter

Really? I'd love to see a message rule that works. I've made a rule
containing every permutation I've seen for the subject line of the worm, but
half of them are still getting through. What a pain in the ass....

"j" wrote in message
Man, I'm getting tons of these things. Thank god for message rules.

"noah" wrote in message
[...]

jps

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
For those of you who use Outlook Express, it has a really stupid option,

in
Tools Options Send:

"Automatically put people I reply to in my address book"

I believe this option is turned ON by default when Outlook Express is
installed. In any case, it should always be shut OFF. Otherwise, your
address book becomes a prime path for the spread of viruses which send
themselves to everyone you know.

Good point. I just turned it off. Thanks.

Mark Browne

Microsoft set up some tripwire software in some of the patches that triggers
when apps go after the address book. In the spy -vs.- spy world of computer
viruses, the kiddies have changed their tactics. This particular virus scans
files on your computer looking for stuff that looks like email addresses. In
this particular case, having a clean address book is not much help.

Mark Browne

"noah" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Kanter

"Mark Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Microsoft set up some tripwire software in some of the patches that

triggers
when apps go after the address book. In the spy -vs.- spy world of

computer
viruses, the kiddies have changed their tactics. This particular virus

scans
files on your computer looking for stuff that looks like email addresses.

In
this particular case, having a clean address book is not much help.

True, Mark, but there still a half dozen viruses floating around which DO
use the address book technique. I receive a dozen of them per week.

It's a very rare user who needs that option turned on.

I filter is based on the from field and anything else with an attachment
goes in a junk folder so I can look at it before deleting. It's not
foolproof but it works quite well for me, I don't get many legitimate emails
with attachments anyways.

JAy

"noah" wrote in message
[...]

RG

"noah" wrote in message
[...]

There's definitely something going around, but I don't think it's directly
related to the newsgroup. My email address as it appears to Usenet is
completely munged up, and yet I've received three or four infected emails
today , just as you've described. I don't know diddley about how these
things work, but I do know that the one's I've received couldn't be related
to my rec.boats participation because of the spoofed address. Or at least I
can't see the connection if there is one. But thanks for the heads up
anyway.

Curtis CCR

noah wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thanks for the heads up. The address I use here is a web mail account
that I only look at every couple of days. I just logged into it and
got a big red warning about being at 110% of storage. There were over
200 of these things in my filtered junk folder...
Fred

Yeah I just got thumped with 26 of them.
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message news

************************************************* *****************
Most of the virus email subjects repute to be a "Microsoft Security
Update", or related MS Upgrade. A few subjects referred to
"Undeliverable Mail".
************************************************* *****************

Be careful. Don't click on *any* executable (in this case it's 104Kb)
unless you know what it is.

Anyone who has emailed me recently should do a thorough virus scan,
with an updated protection program. It's a pretty good bet that one
of you has the virus, and it put me on the sucker list.

As you were... )
noah

I just got six of them. They are quite artfully done, but the fact of
the matter is that Micro$oft doesn't call you.... you call them.
Trash the files and then empty the recycle bin....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Doug Kanter

"RG" wrote in message news:6_Kab.1175$Rd4.870@fed1read07...

There's definitely something going around, but I don't think it's directly
related to the newsgroup.

Think first of any people you know who have ever sent you email, and who are
too busy jerking off to the Simpsons to update their antivirus software. You
want to get in the same room with those folks and spills colorful drinks on
their laps. In particular, ask people "Which anti-virus software do you
use?" Anyone who updates theirs regularly will know the name of their
software. Anyone who cannot answer your question gets their crotches sauteed
in a bloody mary or something equally colorful. Silly people.

On-Topic: rec.boats FAQ noah General 11 September 29th 03 02:38 AM
Rec.boats members and lurkers Butch Ammon General 18 August 30th 03 11:41 PM