Default Deep in the weeds

"Secular Humouresque" wrote in message
m...
On 10/18/10 10:31 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
Took the Tolman to Lake Iamonia near Tallahassee yesterday just to
explore its miles of "paths" through the lilypads. Obviously other
boats follow these paths because they are generally clear of weeds.
However, it is not good territory for the Tolman even though the boat
is built for extreme small draft. Repeatedly bogged down the motor
with balls of weeds on the prop and overheating.
So, what is the technique in places like this? Is it just not a good
place for a 90 hp motor? Unfortunately, I had locked the 9.8 kicker
in the "up" position and had forgotten to take its key so I could not
use it.
I really wanted to explore but was afraid of getting stuck and the
motor failing. Swimming or walking back is out of the question as
this place is gator paradise. Passed numerous gator wallows and saw
several gators from a distance.
So, are places like this only for john boats with tiny motors (OK,
airboats too)?

Hire Scott Ingerfool to walk a few yards ahead of you and Loogy Ingerfool
to walk a few yards behind...

snip...

Wouldn't Froggy get in trouble for polluting Florida's waterways?

On 10/18/10 1:47 PM, YukonBound wrote:

[...]

Not if they were boiled in soapy water first... :)

--
Guns Don't Kill People -- Fundamentalist Religion Kills People!

In article ,
says...

[...]

Now this spoofer is posting replies almost as stupid as my little bow
legged buddy Don's!
Jim Jim is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Minn Kota electric troller with weedless wedge prop. Don't go in the
weeds unprepared.
Air-cooled kicker with weed cutter prop is another option.
But they're noisy s hell, and disturb swamp serenity.
Your other option for the 90 hp is get a similar weed cutter prop for it
and rig a weed strainer for the cooling water inlet ports. That's a big
job and would only be done on a motor used primarily in the weeds at
slow speeds. Not practical otherwise.

Jim - Former swamper.

On 10/18/10 5:27 PM, MMC wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article d702838a-407a-4f75-b099-025589235484
@t8g2000yqk.googlegroups.com, says...

On Oct 18, 1:17 pm, "MMC" wrote:
You can buy some real nice ones, made out of fiberglass.
I found a home made one floating with 1 1/2 PVC pipe shot full of
"great stuff" foam but it was still a little bendy for my taste.
They
put a "T" fitting on one end with short stubs of pipe and caps on
them
for a foot and cap the top end.

The PVC would be enough to see if the idea would work in the weeds
before
spending time an $$ making or more $$ buying one. Good idea.

Perhaps PVC with 1' long wood inserts at 3' intervals to stiffen it.
Easy enough to try.

Huh, I don't follow... Either way, I am still thinking the crosshatch
with glass and resin, think "maypole" type weave along the length, that
would stiffen it up nice I would think and be a lot lighter than wood...

--
Can you imagine being the first President since President Carter, to be
compared to President Carter?

Maybe a telescoping pool net pole? Make a foot that uses the same snap
in fixture as the net and keep the net on the boat too for fishing,
shrimping and ball cap retrieval.
I know they are fairly lightweight aluminum but should hold up to less
than gorilla propulsion.

Great idea if you don't value your time.

--
Guns Don't Kill People -- Fundamentalist Religion Kills People!
mmc mmc is offline

On Oct 18, 1:17 pm, "MMC" wrote:
[...]

I value my time too much to sit, stuck in the weeds. waiting for the gov't
to come and "help".

mmc mmc is offline

wrote in message

On Oct 18, 1:17 pm, "MMC" wrote:
[...]

Poling is by nature gorilla propulsion. I doubt one of those net poles
would hold up. If this is more than a once a year thing I would spring
for a commercially built pole. The other thing you get with a real
pole is the top is pointed so you can flip it over and anchor with it.

Yeah, makes sense and even if the poles held the cam lock wouldn't.

On Oct 18, 1:17 pm, "MMC" wrote:
[...]

Froggy should build himself another p.o.s. so he can continue to whine
about his stuff failing him. I endorse Scott ingerfool's idea to buy a
bannister from Home Despot and fiberglass it. That will surely made an
adequate push pole.

--
Guns Don't Kill People -- Fundamentalist Religion Kills People!

It gets so deep around here - clean up with this! FishWisher General 2 August 10th 08 04:42 PM
Why so many deep-Vs? [email protected] General 10 July 29th 08 11:55 PM
Deep Thoughts JimH General 6 December 23rd 05 10:59 PM
Deep Thoughts JohnH General 0 December 23rd 05 12:47 AM
Off the Deep end Bobsprit ASA 0 September 9th 04 08:54 PM