Default Deep in the weeds

Took the Tolman to Lake Iamonia near Tallahassee yesterday just to
explore its miles of "paths" through the lilypads. Obviously other
boats follow these paths because they are generally clear of weeds.
However, it is not good territory for the Tolman even though the boat
is built for extreme small draft. Repeatedly bogged down the motor
with balls of weeds on the prop and overheating.
So, what is the technique in places like this? Is it just not a good
place for a 90 hp motor? Unfortunately, I had locked the 9.8 kicker
in the "up" position and had forgotten to take its key so I could not
use it.
I really wanted to explore but was afraid of getting stuck and the
motor failing. Swimming or walking back is out of the question as
this place is gator paradise. Passed numerous gator wallows and saw
several gators from a distance.
So, are places like this only for john boats with tiny motors (OK,
airboats too)?

On 10/18/10 10:31 AM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Hire Scott Ingerfool to walk a few yards ahead of you and Loogy
Ingerfool to walk a few yards behind...

And then call Bob's Machine Shop:

http://www.bobsmachine.com/

--
Guns Don't Kill People -- Fundamentalist Religion Kills People!

On Oct 18, 10:34*am, I am Tosk
wrote:
In article 190a4303-33b5-4222-91f5-ab7637f2e654
@j18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

[...]

Poling? How heavy is the Tolman, I forget what they look like, how big
they are?

--
Can you imagine being the first President since President Carter, to be
compared to President Carter?

Been trying to find a suitable pole for that purpose, maybe a piece of
2" diameter bamboo but cannot find any. Might consider using the mast
from my daughters old sailboard. The Tolman is a big boat but
lightweight and would pole easily.

On 10/18/10 11:42 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

In article5ec1000e-5b96-49b5-9d59-aec530000d01
@j2g2000yqf.googlegroups.com,
says...

On Oct 18, 10:34 am, I am
wrote:
[...]

That's what I was thinking... How about making one of some kind of
laminate?

Oh, just had a thought.. What about a banister from Home Depot... Maybe
wrap a sheet of glass around it to keep it from splintering. I think
they are made of cheap soft wood but might be light enough and about the
right size...

Yeah, there can't be more than what, a dozen, manufacturers of push
poles for boats. But, of course, Froggy likes to build it cheap and
crappy, something he has in common with you.

I used a 12' push pole with my SeaPro when I lived in Florida. It was
fiberglass, springy, and worked properly. It was about $125 back then.

But I have to admit, it wouldn't compete with a bannister from Home Depot.

wrote:
[...]

How many times have I told you. I don't do anything for myself so no one
else should. I don't see how someone can feel any pride from a job well
done by themselves. I get my pride from sitting on my fat ass all day in
my basement and monitoring rec.boats all day. Then I call people names
and insult them. After that, my little buddy Don instantly replies to my
post with more childish crap. That's our life!

m...

wrote:
[...]

~~ Snerk ~~
That freak is one of a kind!

mmc mmc is offline

You can buy some real nice ones, made out of fiberglass.
I found a home made one floating with 1 1/2 PVC pipe shot full of
"great stuff" foam but it was still a little bendy for my taste. They
put a "T" fitting on one end with short stubs of pipe and caps on them
for a foot and cap the top end.

The PVC would be enough to see if the idea would work in the weeds before
spending time an $$ making or more $$ buying one. Good idea.

On Oct 18, 1:17*pm, "MMC" wrote:
You can buy some real nice ones, made out of fiberglass.
I found a home made one floating with 1 1/2 PVC pipe shot full of
"great stuff" foam but it was still a little bendy for my taste. They
put a "T" fitting on one end with short stubs of pipe and caps on them
for a foot and cap the top end.

The PVC would be enough to see if the idea would work in the weeds before
spending time an $$ making or more $$ buying one. Good idea.

Perhaps PVC with 1' long wood inserts at 3' intervals to stiffen it.
Easy enough to try.

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for stuffing your nose up my ass at every post I make, little
buddy!

It gets so deep around here - clean up with this! FishWisher General 2 August 10th 08 04:42 PM
Why so many deep-Vs? [email protected] General 10 July 29th 08 11:55 PM
Deep Thoughts JimH General 6 December 23rd 05 10:59 PM
Deep Thoughts JohnH General 0 December 23rd 05 12:47 AM
Off the Deep end Bobsprit ASA 0 September 9th 04 08:54 PM