Default Why so many deep-Vs?

A few weeks ago, I was up in N. Illinois on the so-called Chain of
Lakes boating with my brother in law and I got a good look at the
boats there. Most of em had what I consider to be deep V hulls which
would limit the area of the lakes accessible to them and reduce the
fuel economy. They do not get large swells there so running in heavy
chop is not an issue. Wouldnt a shallow V be better for such
conditions? A shallow V would allow them to more than double the
parts of the lakes they can go in without hitting bottom and get em up
on a plane faster for better economy.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 27, 3:24*pm, wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was up in N. Illinois on the so-called Chain of
Lakes boating with my brother in law and I got a good look at the
boats there. *Most of em had what I consider to be deep V hulls which
would limit the area of the lakes accessible to them and reduce the
fuel economy. *They do not get large swells there so running in heavy
chop is not an issue. *Wouldnt a shallow V be better for such
conditions? *A shallow V would allow them to more than double the
parts of the lakes they can go in without hitting bottom and get em up
on a plane faster for better economy.

Not sure, but the craft might be deep -V so they can also run in the
Lake Michigan area.

I bought a 23' Marquis cuddie on the edge of ohio that has a fairly
deep -V hull. and it was used fairly exclusivly on Lake Erie.

On Jul 27, 4:24*pm, wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was up in N. Illinois on the so-called Chain of
Lakes boating with my brother in law and I got a good look at the
boats there. *Most of em had what I consider to be deep V hulls which
would limit the area of the lakes accessible to them and reduce the
fuel economy. *They do not get large swells there so running in heavy
chop is not an issue. *Wouldnt a shallow V be better for such
conditions? *A shallow V would allow them to more than double the
parts of the lakes they can go in without hitting bottom and get em up
on a plane faster for better economy.

Most of em had what I consider to be deep V hulls which
would limit the area of the lakes accessible to them and reduce the
fuel economy.

You forgot to mention the safety factor in that " Deep V" design .Its
far more stable than a pussy Bass Boat.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:24:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

A few weeks ago, I was up in N. Illinois on the so-called Chain of
Lakes boating with my brother in law and I got a good look at the
boats there. Most of em had what I consider to be deep V hulls which
would limit the area of the lakes accessible to them and reduce the
fuel economy. They do not get large swells there so running in heavy
chop is not an issue. Wouldnt a shallow V be better for such
conditions? A shallow V would allow them to more than double the
parts of the lakes they can go in without hitting bottom and get em up
on a plane faster for better economy.

Though I can't speak to any individual's reason for their boat choice
(Tim had a good reason given Lake Michigan is close by), I can tell
you what they do with boats on the Chain.
1. Hardly anybody fishes there. If anybody from the area is reading
and disagrees, tell me about.
2. They load the boat with beer. drinks, food, water skis, and
basically circle around in Lake Marie, sometimes hitting and drowning
or chopping up one another.
3. Depending on draft, the deep-V shouldn't be a problem on Lake
Marie and Bluff lake. Last time I was there any water under about 2
1/2 feet was pretty well marked with buoys. Petite Lake also can
provide water under the boat, but is smaller. Don't know much about
Grass and Fox lakes.
4. Plenty ignore the buoys as the liquor takes over.
5. There are plenty of decent, safe boaters there who bought
lakefront homes. Sadly, they probably don't boat much or really
pick their time carefully.

I basically grew up there as a kid, and watched it change from a quiet
fishing area to a confused mess of skiers and drunks.
Much of the mess is caused by a few mairinas who cater to the
high-power boaters and provide them all the liquor they want at the
same time. The Sandbar on Lake Marie is an example.
I caution that I haven't been there in at least 20 years, but I
haven't heard it's changed since then, just gotten more congested
with more boats whacking each other.
The Chain just can't handle that traffic.
Here's a question for you, Mr O. (wasn't sure how to spell it right)
What did you think of the area? Be blunt.
Reason I ask is I'm very seriously thinking of coming down there, but
south toward Hollywood or Punta Gorda, and you can give a good
comparison of the areas for boating/fishing. I know you're in the
panhandle, but as a native Floridian you probably have a good handle
on it.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

For Vic Smith:

I cannot tell if you want an opinion about the ILL. Chain of Lakes or
N. FL Panhandle so I will give both.

First, the Chain of lakes area: I can almost see it. After all, it
is cooler in summer than here in Tallahassee. Definitely waaaaaaaaay
more crowded on the water, in fact, enough other boats to really make
me nervous. People seemed friendly too. Several people did express
the idea that most boaters do just as you say there, cruise around
doing the "My boat is bigger than yours" thing but I could not see
this myself. However, how long is the boating season there? You pay
how much for a boat you only use for three months? Northerners just
really do drink a lot more than we do in the south. They always have
beer in hand, even while boating and nobody thinks it odd. My brother
in law always has a beer in hand while boating and this made me very
nervous and I could not relax due to this. Maybe they just have to
fit a lot of craziness into so few months that it is simply
concentrated.

Next stop this summer was LaCrosse, WI. We camped at Goose Island
campground which was really nice. An impressive boating area on
backwaters of the Miss. River. Very high bluffs with great views (if
you ever get there, go up Grandads Bluff for the view). Nice, Nice,
Nice. I did no boating there but I did talk to a lot of fishermen and
they really were into fishing.

Next stop was the Black Hills but no boating there except a great view
on a lake in Custer State Park.

Next stop, Casper, Wyoming. The N. Platte River is really nice and
you can rent float boats and the fly fishing even right in town is
supposed to be great. We went west of town to a big reservoir called
Lake Alcova where most boating is done there and it was sorta like the
Chain of Lakes boaters with everybody running around fast to get it
out of their systems before it gets too cold. Some sailboats because
the wind is great but the idea of a big sailboat on a lake where you
can not go anywhere strikes me as odd. Took a waverunner up Fremont
canyon for fantastic views, very worthwhile even at $160/half day.

Back to Tallahassee. It is impossible for me to be objective because
I am a native here and I like it here. From Mid-May to Mid-October it
is insanely hot. Sailing is out from July 1 to late September because
there is either no wind or thunderstorms. In this drought, there is
little fresh water to boat on except small rivers with canoes and
Kayaks but if you like beautiful springs and crystal clear spring
water for kayaks and canoes, great. On the coast, there is very
little boating traffic. Our coastline is wilderness for 130 miles to
the east with only a few private places with houses. To the west, it
gets "beachy" with people but boating is still good with great
fishing. The local people are rednecks and we do things slower than
most people are used to because the heat makes you that way. I can
afford to keep a 28' sailboat in the water here and can afford to
launch my 20' Tolman here whereas South FL always gives me sticker
shock. Boating here is year round and I do not see any of the Keeping
up with the Jones' over boats. Here, an oyster boat carrying a 6 pack
is a yacht. I see boats waaaaaay up the creeks where their owners are
tied up living for free living on nearly nothing and that is the way
it should be. Boats are supposed to give you freedom but in most
places they seem to anchor people to expenses. Here, mine still give
me freedom. As far as fishing goes, it is now scallop season so this
weekend I'll take the family out east of the St. Marks light and pick
em up.
I hate South Florida cuz it is basically unlivable. Too many people,
too many crazies. Down there, it seems like the Chain of Lakes in
Illinois. I cannot say anything about fishing down there. Boating
there costs serious money.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:29:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

However, how long is the boating season there? You pay
how much for a boat you only use for three months?

The ice is usually gone in April, so that's the beginning.
Doesn't have to end until November. So at least 7 months.
Last time I was there fishing was an April, about 45F degrees air
temp. Had to leave because waterskiers in insulated wetsuits were
buzzing my small boat.

Northerners just
really do drink a lot more than we do in the south. They always have
beer in hand, even while boating and nobody thinks it odd. My brother
in law always has a beer in hand while boating and this made me very
nervous and I could not relax due to this. Maybe they just have to
fit a lot of craziness into so few months that it is simply
concentrated.

Not sure what's going on up there, because I never got in with the
"boating" crowd. Knew the fishing crowd when it was there.
Nothing wrong with a beer now and then, but from the accident reports
coming from there every summer, drinking is way overdone.

Next stop this summer was LaCrosse, WI. We camped at Goose Island
campground which was really nice. An impressive boating area on
backwaters of the Miss. River. Very high bluffs with great views (if
you ever get there, go up Grandads Bluff for the view). Nice, Nice,
Nice. I did no boating there but I did talk to a lot of fishermen and
they really were into fishing.

Fished there a few times, and it was nice. Can't remember catching
anything though, except a wing dam on the boats lower unit.
Wasn't bad though. Not my boat, and I wasn't driving.

Next stop was the Black Hills but no boating there except a great view
on a lake in Custer State Park.

Next stop, Casper, Wyoming. The N. Platte River is really nice and
you can rent float boats and the fly fishing even right in town is
supposed to be great. We went west of town to a big reservoir called
Lake Alcova where most boating is done there and it was sorta like the
Chain of Lakes boaters with everybody running around fast to get it
out of their systems before it gets too cold. Some sailboats because
the wind is great but the idea of a big sailboat on a lake where you
can not go anywhere strikes me as odd. Took a waverunner up Fremont
canyon for fantastic views, very worthwhile even at $160/half day.

Sounds like a nice itinerary. Been to some of those places, but
remember different things because we did things differently.

Back to Tallahassee. It is impossible for me to be objective because
I am a native here and I like it here. From Mid-May to Mid-October it
is insanely hot.

That's probably a personal thing. I always visit Florida in the
summer, and while it's hot, it doesn't bother me much.
We get our share of 90's here without the pretty stuff Florida has.
Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. Or maybe because I was
a boilerman, steel mill worker and heat treater, so I always put
that context into the picture when I start sweating.
I know my wife will bitch about the heat though, because she does
it here!
It's funny though how many times I see the national weather map
and it's 5 degrees hotter here than it is in Tampa.

[...]

Punta Gorda is about as far south as I would go. Not too crowded
there. Lots of old people who stay inside watching cable TV.
Thanks for your perspective.
Man. I love scallops. Want to get into that part real bad.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

Any part of Florida south of Daytona is pretty much uninhabitable by
sane human beings from April thorugh the end of October. The Keys are
better because there usually is some sort of a breeze blowing, or,
better, you're right next to the water and can jump in and cool off.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:46:52 -0400, hk wrote:

Any part of Florida south of Daytona is pretty much uninhabitable by
sane human beings from April thorugh the end of October. The Keys are
better because there usually is some sort of a breeze blowing, or,
better, you're right next to the water and can jump in and cool off.

That pretty much depends on tolerance of the heat. Mine's pretty
high, but my wife might present a problem, more because of psychology
than anything else. She's slim, and gets cold more easily than heated
up, but I've spoiled her with central A/C.
As I said, I've always been to Florida in the summer and the heat
never bothered me. I wear a broad brim straw hat if I'm going to be
in the sun more than 10 minutes, except at the beach. Light cotton
clothes. Stay hydrated.
My uncle lived in Cape Coral for years without A/C and did just fine.
I did have to be careful not to let the sweat drip onto the fried fish
when eating at his place, but the fish made it worth it.
Besides, I wasn't acclimated. Him and Clara looked cool as cucumbers.
The heat can be just as miserable up north most of the summer, but
without the fishing and the water to jump into.
And we've had our share of below zero temps, snow and ice.
That's my ace in the hole with the wife.
She starts bitching about how bad the winter is in October!

--Vic

The heat can be just as miserable up north most of the summer, but
without the fishing and the water to jump into.

The heat/humidity of the summers in CT was actually what made me move to
CA... not the winters. I can handle the cold, but very little tolerance for
heat w/ humidity. The boating season is longer as well g

--Mike

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

[...]

I suggest you lease for a summer before you buy.

DVD Sterio the is not to deep rlojmo Electronics 3 April 10th 07 02:31 AM
Deep Thoughts JohnH General 0 December 23rd 05 12:47 AM
i am hourly deep, so I dye you Mary ASA 0 April 22nd 05 01:48 PM
Off the Deep end Bobsprit ASA 0 September 9th 04 08:54 PM
Mike B. now your in deep doo doo Wyatt Earp Power Boat Racing 0 December 5th 03 04:01 AM