Default Total request for non-ethanol "marine" fuel

"Secular Humouresque" wrote in message ...
On 10/9/10 8:44 AM, Tim wrote:
On Oct 9, 7:24 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/8/10 10:12 PM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:52 pm, wrote:
Tim wrote:
http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottaw....php?id=415267

i wish more stations offered non-blended fuel. If there was easier
access for pure fossil fuel, I probably would have second thoughts
about converting my pontoon over to a 4 cycle and ditching the v-4
Johnson.

E15 is OK for newer motors - so they say...

And it possible may be, but mine is a 1977. And I'll probably run it
till it craters, then use up my spare 115 evinrude I have sitting int
he back of my building.

And maybe gas stations should sell leaded fuel to accommodate the owners
of old wreck cars.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

They do! Older cars run fairly well on the un-leaded fuel available
today even on the 15 % ethanol blend.

. But you don't have to have ethanol in every motor fuel.

i don't recall when ethanol became part of the gasoline that is sold
everywhere, but none of the outboards I've owned dating back to the
1990's every had any fuel-related problems, even when 60 gallons of it
sat in the boat over the winter. That list of outboards includes 90, 115
and 135 hp mercs, and 150 and 225 hp yamahas. Maybe it would be easier
for you to buy a decent used outboard made in this century.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

Some folks tinker with old boats by desire or necessity. It's not every old boy that has a sugar momma to to put him in a new boat every year or two. To each his own, eh.

--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a PC or a MAC, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a PC or a MAC, it's from an ID

The magnificent Boatless Harry
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 9, 8:13*am, Secular Humouresque wrote:
On 10/9/10 9:04 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:55 am, Secular *wrote:
On 10/9/10 8:44 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:24 am, Secular * *wrote:
On 10/8/10 10:12 PM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:52 pm, * * *wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Not really. i seed know reason to payy many thousands of dollars for
an outbaord . any outboard

Is that like my rationale for avoiding at all costs I/O's?

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

LOL! could be.

Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 9, 8:41*am, "A.Boater" wrote:

To me, this is further proof than nobody in this group is a real boater.

LOL! Now, what the heck is that supposed to mean???

On 10/9/10 9:34 AM, Tim wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:13 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/9/10 9:04 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:55 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/9/10 8:44 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:24 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/8/10 10:12 PM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:52 pm, wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

I don't like I/O's for several reasons:

1. more complex drive train than an outboard.
2. can't tip the lower unit completely out of the water.
3. that damned hole in the transom and the rubber gasket.

I don't have any problems with the engines...they're just car or truck
engines.

"Secular Humouresque" wrote in message m...
On 10/9/10 9:34 AM, Tim wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:13 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/9/10 9:04 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:55 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/9/10 8:44 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:24 am, Secular wrote:
On 10/8/10 10:12 PM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:52 pm, wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your opinion. I will file it under the appropriate heading.

--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a PC or a MAC, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a PC or a MAC, it's from an ID
spoofer who hasn't the balls to post with his current ID.

The magnificent Boatless Harry

On 10/9/10 11:51 AM, A.Boater wrote:
On 9-Oct-2010, I am wrote:

It means the elitist liberals are trying to Pigeon hole us again...

Since my comments were aimed primarily at Harry, I really am beginning to
conclude that you truly ARE as stupid as you post.

I've seen nothing to indicate you are someone who goes boating.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 9, 9:09*am, "A.Boater" wrote:
I thought that was pretty clear.

If you don't personally KNOW that 10% alcohol is a disaster, you aren't
actually USING the boat. An addition of 50% MORE alcohol will be an even
greater disaster.

In the 4 years since MTBE was banned and they stared putting alcohol in
fuel, I have overhauled the carbs on one engine twice and on the larger
boat, was forced to pay to polish the fuel to get the crap out of the tank
before it worked its way into the engine fuel system.

Just the SMELL of the fuel tells you the stuff has a shelf life about equal
to milk.

"If you don't personally KNOW that 10% alcohol is a disaster, you
aren't actually USING the boat. An addition of 50% MORE alcohol will
be an even greater disaster.

Well, I USE my boats, but they have chevy engines in them, they seem
to run on the 89.5 stuff just fine., and I agree that a 50/50 blend is
no really a good nor a practical idea.

And I know the modern stabilizers help the older 2 cycles, but it
seems that the way of the two stroke will probably go the way of the
steam engine.

"Just the SMELL of the fuel tells you the stuff has a shelf life about
equal to milk."

You mean it lasts that long?

On 10/9/10 12:14 PM, Tim wrote:
On Oct 9, 9:09 am, wrote:
[...]

Have you tried a good external fuel filter/water separator?
All of my outboards since the 1990's have had these, in addition to any
"under the hood" filter/separators the motors have had.

This spring, after sitting in the tanks of my Parker since November
2009, the 60 gallons of ethanol/gasoline had no trouble starting my
Yamaha start on the first try. It wasn't until two weekends later than I
had burned most of the fuel off and refilled the tank to 100 gallons.

On Oct 9, 9:15*am, Secular Humouresque wrote:
On 10/9/10 9:34 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 8:13 am, Secular *wrote:
On 10/9/10 9:04 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:55 am, Secular * *wrote:
On 10/9/10 8:44 AM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 9, 7:24 am, Secular * * *wrote:
On 10/8/10 10:12 PM, Tim wrote:

On Oct 8, 8:52 pm, * * * *wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

The deal I have with the I/O is that I can work on them rather well.
Mostly they're an automotive engine . If you can work on a chevy or
ford, you can work on a mercruiser (generally speaking).

Yeah, I agree that they take up room in the cabin area, but that's an
inconvenience I can live with. And hitting something isnt' too good
on the lower end seeing it's locked down with no give.

Concerning lifting the entire leg up well, I don't have an issue with
that because I dont' leave my boat[s] sitting in the water over an
extended period of time. I'm a trailer boater.

They both have their pros and cons, But I suppose the mercruisers is
what I'm most familiar with.