Default Shallow water outboards

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
Went canoeing at Wacissa River again today. Over the past few
yrs, I
have noticed some odd motors obviously intended for very shallow
weed
infested waters. These motors resemble a lawnmotor engine with a
very
long shaft, maybe 6' on which there is a prop at the very end.
They
go very well in the mats of vegetation covering the water whereas
conventional outboard immediately bogs down and gets stuff in the
water intake.
I am wondering if these odd outboards will mean fewer airboats
because
both are intended to be used in nearly zero water.

I see them all the the time on craigs list, they use them in the
swampy
areas of southeast Missouri, there big with duck hunters and there
called
mud motors, big twin briggs and Stratton mostly

I understand they are noisy, and they do huge damage to whatever they
happen to churn over. Like I said I hope they don't catch on up here,
it
would be deviating to the lilly pads and other fresh water surface
flowers which usually are avoided by those with conventional
outboards.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

Go Devils, mud motors
They have there purpose in some of the swampy areas for access for duck
hunters, they do much less damage than say a 6 wheeler ATV but I doubt
anybody but the local idiots would want one up north, got many local
idiots
up yonder? Game warden would kick your arse good here in S IL if you
got
caught jacking around with one on our little lakes....we have the
sweetist
lilly pads and cutest aquatic weeds, and the biggest bass...and blue
gill,
crappie...etc.etc..etc I probably have the biggest Johnson in my
county....my 6yr old grandson took first place for biggest fish in his
first
fishing tourny saturday....Oh there I go bragging again...damit....lol

Very cool... Looks like my shoreline fishing is gonna' end soon enough.
Our lives have changed a lot in the last few years and we are selling
the shoreline home and moving out to the sticks. However the home we are
looking at is right in the middle of some of the best fresh water
fishing in the state so I won't give it up all together.

Oooops, I transposed the I and the L and "saw" "Southern Long Island"
sorry... Still goin' off the grid though

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

"Southern Long Island" where be SLI, not new york? if you race for cheese
you got to be cheese head, EH?

In article ,
says...

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Uh, no....

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Jessi goes BRaaaaappp!
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 14, 8:06*am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 7:40 am, "Happy" wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in

In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
Went canoeing at Wacissa River again today. Over the past few yrs, I
have noticed some odd motors obviously intended for very shallow weed
infested waters. These motors resemble a lawnmotor engine with a very
long shaft, maybe 6' on which there is a prop at the very end. They
go very well in the mats of vegetation covering the water whereas a
[...]

You're in soluthern Illinois? * *so am I.

Ever go to Carlyle or Rend lake?

Yep, been to both, I remember when they built rend lake, took a few collage
course's there to @ rend lake collage, I worked on the resort there at rend,
can't remember the name...seem's like Wayne fitzgerald??? been to many
years, I mostly go to the river and lake of Egypt for my fun, also I live
real close to Lake Glendale, and Millstone bluff, I can see it in the winter
from my house.

I'm down in ole Pope co. out here in the Shawnee,- Hide quoted text -

Cool! I'm up in Clay Co. Pleased to meet you, neighbor.

On Jun 14, 10:24*am, Tim wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:06*am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 7:40 am, "Happy" wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in

In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

I think they fill a specialized niche where the hydrilla is so thick a
normal motor cannot operate. I would imagine that a small normal
outboard operates well in most lily pad cover.

In article a519bd7c-aae8-4a72-bb65-
,
says...

On Jun 14, 10:24*am, Tim wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:06*am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 7:40 am, "Happy" wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in

In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

You would imagine wrong Traditional outboards are not designed to cut
through (slash and smash) obsticals. Smaller ponds and thus smaller
outboards present obvious issues in the lilly pads, but larger boats and
outboards get the stems and leaves wrapped around the leg prop and
shaft, and starve the water pump for water too. They are not well suited
for the pads or algae in most cases. These mud motors are mostly air
cooled and designed to cut through weeds and other obsticals too...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 14, 8:06 am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 7:40 am, "Happy" wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in

In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Nice to meet you Tim,
Did you guys get out for the IL free fishing day Saturday?
We had a Kids tournament at Lake Glendale and my grandson really did win 1st
for biggest fish, it was a blast.
Golconda Marina had the big money bass tourny....5000$ top money,

do you ever get over to the Iboats forums? best forums on the net.
look for mrcrabs

best regards,
Doug

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 14, 9:59*am, Frogwatch wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:24*am, Tim wrote:

On Jun 14, 8:06*am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 7:40 am, "Happy" wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in

In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

outboard operates well in most lily pad cover.- Hide quoted text -

I've seen some boats that run in the stuff that is if it's deep enough
and they have a brush guard on the prop. Which is basically a
preforated or mesh metal cone .
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 14, 10:53*am, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 8:06 am, "Happy" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 7:40 am, "Happy" wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in

In article ,
says...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Doug- Hide quoted text -

Great! and congrats to the lad. No, I'm not much of a fisherman and I
didnt' hear about it, but glad you took advantage of it, Doug.

I look around iboats quite a bit for repair and product ideas. There's
a lot of knowledge and pics posted on there concerning repair
procedures. Especilly the dudes that rebuild boats from the hull on
up. A lot of good material to be found.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 14, 10:53*am, "Happy" wrote:

do you ever get over to the Iboats forums? best forums on the net.
look for mrcrabs

best regards,
Doug- Hide quoted text -

I'll see if I can spot you out.

Thanks!

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 14, 10:53 am, "Happy" wrote:

do you ever get over to the Iboats forums? best forums on the net.
look for mrcrabs

best regards,
Doug- Hide quoted text -

I'll see if I can spot you out.

Thanks!

I'm mostly over at the "other outboards" helping Eska owners
but theres a pic of my 1969 marquis in the trihull club post at the
restoration forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....club&pa ge=12